Nic Petan Turning it Around (MOD: Emergency call up 03/17)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Got a text from a guy who works for a different team:

"Nic Petan is the ****ing best. He's gonna be so good."

[I list Jets forwards fighting for top9 roster spot next year]

"That's a p damn great young F group"

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

Yup. Should be fun and interesting times ahead. Still think we need better goaltending, a better goalie, and some timely saves...hyuk!

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

That guy is right. The Jets have a very deep and talented forward group. They also have a good top-4 D.

Top-5 pick to add another stud at F or D.

I don't think this swoon to the bottom of the standings will last long. Youth might hold them back a bit next year, but this team is loaded.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I agree, I'm not knocking Dano. I actually think the two of them with someone else above average could do well together. Dano is very good at getting open and he knows how to score. I think Petan could set him up quite a bit. Petan, Armia and Dano could be a pretty good third.

Dano can get the puck by himself and can play without the puck. To me that's the big difference between him and Petan right now. Petan is all right when he has the puck but he rarely has it. Both need a lot of work on skating, but Dano compensates better with positioning and his stick. He's way further along than Petan right now.

I'd be pretty disappointed if Petan is pencilled into the top 12 for next season. He should get more time to develop his overall game with the Moose and be one of the first callups IMO.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Dano can get the puck by himself and can play without the puck. To me that's the big difference between him and Petan right now. Petan is all right when he has the puck but he rarely has it. Both need a lot of work on skating, but Dano compensates better with positioning and his stick. He's way further along than Petan right now.

I'd be pretty disappointed if Petan is pencilled into the top 12 for next season. He should get more time to develop his overall game with the Moose and be one of the first callups IMO.
I disagree I think Dano has more to work on to be a full time Nhler then Petan does.Dano needs to improve his quickness and fitness level he always looks gassed quickly.His decision making with the puck is also really questionable at times.The only thing he is good at this point is net presence and scoring ability.If Petan is able to show what he did last night against other quality teams for the rest of the year he will be in our top 9 next year and I think Dano will be the odd man out.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I was really impressed with Petan's ability to get himself open last night, also his ability to skate from the wall directly to the slot to get a shot or a pass. That's something that we don't have much of, as most of our offensive play is around the boards.

Myers is another one who consistently makes a great move to get right into the slot.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
Kid looked like more of a natural out there than just about anyone I've seen. Its too bad the nucks folded and rolled over on us so it was a goalie siege and couldn't really get a good "report" on him, but he always seems to make himself open and has great vision. Great decisions with the puck for the most part. Its too bad he didn't have a point to show for that great night

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I disagree I think Dano has more to work on to be a full time Nhler then Petan does.Dano needs to improve his quickness and fitness level he always looks gassed quickly.His decision making with the puck is also really questionable at times.The only thing he is good at this point is net presence and scoring ability.If Petan is able to show what he did last night against other quality teams for the rest of the year he will be in our top 9 next year and I think Dano will be the odd man out.

Petan looked better last night than any game Dano has played. Still, it was an unusual circumstance - with Scheif and Wheels against the Canucks. The Jets are going to have some tough decisions next training camp.

Does anyone think that the Jets haven't done anything to fix the bottom-6? And the "fixes" aren't short-term older FA signings.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I hope he gets one more look with Wheels and Scheif Thursday because that is when I will be able to get a feel. Last night Vancouver was :baghead:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Petan looked better last night than any game Dano has played. Still, it was an unusual circumstance - with Scheif and Wheels against the Canucks. The Jets are going to have some tough decisions next training camp.

Does anyone think that the Jets haven't done anything to fix the bottom-6? And the "fixes" aren't short-term older FA signings.

Acquiring the tools for the job is only half the equation. Using the best tool for the job is the second half.

Pomo/Chevy have been bad at that.

They seem to "try" new things but as soon as they struggle/fail they immediately revert to the old crutches.

Really hoping that we now have the tools so obviously better that they can't possibly revert to the old habits (you know the suspects)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Acquiring the tools for the job is only half the equation. Using the best tool for the job is the second half.

They seem to "try" new things but as soon as they struggle/fail they immediately revert to the old crutches.

Really hoping that we now have the tools so obviously better that they can't possibly revert to the old habits (you know the suspects)

I've been highly critical of Maurice's usage of Stuart and Thorbs. I actually think that Chevy takes a lot of the heat for the high regard that Maurice has for Thorbs, and his interest in a "physical" presence. I'm pretty sure that Chevy would be okay if Chevy used both of them less and used some of his own draft picks a bit more.

Having said that, whenever Maurice has better options Thorbs plays on the 4th line and with a limited role. He might keep Thorbs in the line-up next year as a bit of "muscle", but generally Maurice uses him in a 4th line role when he has a decent line-up (he averaged 8 minutes a game last year). Time will tell whether Maurice will go the next step and start sitting Thorbs in the press-box as a healthy scratch for next year. I do think he wants to give the young, small, skilled players a bit of physical "shelter", which might keep Thorbs on the game roster too often.

Stuart? Maurice loves the guy. Don't get me started! :rant:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

My projected lineup for next fall already had Dano on the 4th line. Not because of any shortcomings in his play, though there are some but because there are better, more experienced players ahead of him. RW goes Wheeler, Stafford, Armia, Dano. Dano has not done well on the left side. That was without finding space for Petan.

Petan showed a lot of promise last night. More like what had been expected from him. Even so it is going to be hard to find space for him in the lineup. LW projects as Ehlers, Perreault, Connor, Lowry. His best bet right now would be at C in the bottom 6 but that won't be easy either. C looks like Scheif - Little - Burmi - Copp.

Without any '16 picks I can see as many as 5 NHL ready F's playing for the Moose next year because we don't have room for them all. I see our 4th line being Lowry - Copp - Dano but all 3 will be getting pressure from below. Petan, Kosmo, De Leo, Lipon, Lemieux plus possibly 1 more if our 1st this year pushes someone down. Depth next year is going to be a different kind of problem than we have had before. The Moose are going to be better than this year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I hope he gets one more look with Wheels and Scheif Thursday because that is when I will be able to get a feel. Last night Vancouver was :baghead:

With Ehlers and Armia back in 2 of the emergency callups will have to go down.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone

Well said, and I agree Grind.

Honestly I think we have the pieces for a very complete team. I have faith that Helle solves the gt problem, and that Maurice plays him as starter right off the bat. As others have said, our forward depth (including Petan) and bottom 6, while young, is looking ridiculously promising. I think Peluso sees permanent PB duty, but Thor probably draws into the starting 4th line. I don't agree with Thor starting, but think it is a bearable problem. Especially if we use our forward depth to play up above Thor when injury strikes.

What is not bearable is Stu anywhere but 3rd pairing with no PK time. And preferably not on the starting roster at all. This is where I am most concerned the Jets make the wrong call.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Honestly I think we have the pieces for a very complete team. I have faith that Helle solves the gt problem, and that Maurice plays him as starter right off the bat. As others have said, our forward depth (including Petan) and bottom 6, while young, is looking ridiculously promising. I think Peluso sees permanent PB duty, but Thor probably draws into the starting 4th line. I don't agree with Thor starting, but think it is a bearable problem. Especially if we use our forward depth to play up above Thor when injury strikes.

What is not bearable is Stu anywhere but 3rd pairing with no PK time. And preferably not on the starting roster at all. This is where I am most concerned the Jets make the wrong call.

If Thor starts that pushes another young F down to the bullpen. So, 6 NHL ready F's on the Moose. If our first makes the roster it becomes 7. :)

Stu's time has come. It is unlikely he is moved one way or another. That leaves the PB. Lack of system depth on D will still see him in the lineup when we have injuries, unfortunately.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
With Ehlers and Armia back in 2 of the emergency callups will have to go down.

Imagine DLeo is one. Will be interesting to see what they do with the second. They could always burn a regular callup and keep an extra forward around.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
My projected lineup for next fall already had Dano on the 4th line. Not because of any shortcomings in his play, though there are some but because there are better, more experienced players ahead of him. RW goes Wheeler, Stafford, Armia, Dano. Dano has not done well on the left side. That was without finding space for Petan.

Petan showed a lot of promise last night. More like what had been expected from him. Even so it is going to be hard to find space for him in the lineup. LW projects as Ehlers, Perreault, Connor, Lowry. His best bet right now would be at C in the bottom 6 but that won't be easy either. C looks like Scheif - Little - Burmi - Copp.

Without any '16 picks I can see as many as 5 NHL ready F's playing for the Moose next year because we don't have room for them all. I see our 4th line being Lowry - Copp - Dano but all 3 will be getting pressure from below. Petan, Kosmo, De Leo, Lipon, Lemieux plus possibly 1 more if our 1st this year pushes someone down. Depth next year is going to be a different kind of problem than we have had before. The Moose are going to be better than this year.

I think they will trade Stafford if we take an NHL-ready fwd with our first pick

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I think they will trade Stafford if we take an NHL-ready fwd with our first pick

Who has that kind of cap space available?

Also might have to keep him around to have his $4m+ available to expose in the expansion draft.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Who has that kind of cap space available?

Also might have to keep him around to have his $4m+ available to expose in the expansion draft.

He only has one year left, so retaining some wouldn't be too bad. Plus, he more highly thought of around the league then he is around here

Whileee

May 29, 2010

:nod:

At the very least, the Jets need to ensure that Stuart doesn't get more than about 12 minutes a game, and no PK time (unless the Jets are badly behind or way ahead).

Jets top-4 should get close to 47 minutes most nights. #6 D (Chiarot, etc.) should get a bit more time than Stuart on the PK, so Stuart ends up with 12 minutes or less.

Press box would be better...

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
He only has one year left, so retaining some wouldn't be too bad. Plus, he more highly thought of around the league then he is around here

I agree with both your points, but I think July 1st is going to be so ****y this year that no one is going to spend an available $4m on Stafford.

Also, the spectre of an expansion draft sorta means that the Jets need to hang on to all bad and expiring contracts for next year to hit the 25% mark.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
If Thor starts that pushes another young F down to the bullpen. So, 6 NHL ready F's on the Moose. If our first makes the roster it becomes 7. :)

Stu's time has come. It is unlikely he is moved one way or another. That leaves the PB. Lack of system depth on D will still see him in the lineup when we have injuries, unfortunately.

"NHL-ready" must be a relative term. :laugh:

Guys like DeLeo and Kosmachuk are sexier to us as fans because they have potential, but are they better than guys like Halischuk or Cormier right now?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
That guy is right. The Jets have a very deep and talented forward group. They also have a good top-4 D.

Top-5 pick to add another stud at F or D.

I don't think this swoon to the bottom of the standings will last long. Youth might hold them back a bit next year, but this team is loaded.

I agree we are loaded and all that. I think we have a great young goalie; and great young talent at F. But I'd say we have just an adequate D (I'm not sold on our top 4 being that special & we still have Stu in the top 6). That & a bunch of rooks in the F could yet make for a couple of painful years -- nothing like this year, but I wouldn't peg the playoffs as any certainty for at least a couple years unless we come up with some solutions to our bottom end D, solutions to our terribad specialty teams, or if some of our Fs develop fast or we get a line or two that develops some real chemistry (ala the CCM line).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad