NHLPA Player Poll Results for 2018-19

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
McDavid is clearly the most dominant player in the league. That is obvious to anyone who watches any dozen games of his.

You see him drive the opposition nuts almost every single shift with his speed, edge work, puck handling and iq.

Apparently it’s just as obvious to the players who the best player in the league is. He absolutely blew Kucherov out of the water in these polls, laughable that anyone would think Kucherov is better.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
For a full season? Over 100. Why do people only hold the “good team” argument against Kucherov and not Crosby Malkin, Ovi, etc. he has out produced everyone but McDavid over the past 4 seasons

I've heard that argument used against those three numerous times.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
I've heard that argument used against those three numerous times.
Maybe I’ve just missed it. I think the argument is bad tbh. Obviously a good player will see an increase on a good team, but it’s wont be massive, and they are gonna produce big numbers no matter what team they’re on

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Ovie and Crosby have broken 100 pt barriers when the 2nd best player on their team had almost less than 50 pts than them.
They definitely have succeeded on shitty teams.

Kuch has never faced such a plight.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
I think he's a huge reason why they are where they are and I'm not trying to say Kucherov isn't a top player in the league but even if you took away every goal Kucherov has scored the Lightning would still be in the top 5 in goals. Hell, even if you took away every single goal he registered a point on, all 117 of them, they would still have as many goals as the Kings. I'm not denying that Kucherov is incredible but he's contributed to 40% of his teams goals while playing with other star players when on the other hand McDavid is over 50% while playing with far less support.

I always hear about how you can't compare players from the 90's to players today because it was a higher scoring era but why is it ok to compare players on a team with 206 goals to players on a team with 287 goals just because it's the same season? I mean, we're literally talking about nearly 30% more goals, that's huge. Are you really going to try to say that Kucherov scoring 12 more points in 4 more games than McDavid is the reason that his team has scored 81 more goals?

Could you explain why it matters that other lines on Tampa score more than other lines on Edmonton? Tampa’s 4th line scoring 40 goals doesn’t really help Kucherov’s point totals at all in my opinion.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Ovie and Crosby have broken 100 pt barriers when the 2nd best player on their team had almost less than 50 pts than them.
They definitely have succeeded on ****ty teams.

Kuch has never faced such a plight.
Not only that but there's a strong argument that the 5th best player on the Lightning is a 28 year old with 2 Rockets on his shelf. Kucherov, Hedman, Point, and Vasi are all better than Stamkos IMO. That's insane.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Do you realize that the majority of hockey fans consist of casual fans? Also if you look at how much media writes about Barkov compared to other players of his stature, there's an argument to be made that it is a lot less. Maybe Barkov in reality is a lot better than you consider him to be, thus your thinking.
Maybe this is where the disconnect is?

I see everyone who has ever heard of Barkov is absolutely in love with him - not underrated.

You see people that don't watch hockey and have no business "rating" players and have never heard of Barkov not rating him at all because they can't name anyone other than Crosby - He's underrated

but why are you looking at opinions of people that don't watch hockey?

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
Do players even care about these polls? Most of them probably tick off the first player listed in every catagory without thinking about it, which gives us the winners, and make the poll useless. Players have better things to do than wasting their time filling out a poll. They will finish it as fast as they can by giving no thought as to who to pick in each catagory.

NHL.COM, does not like your post

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Could you explain why it matters that other lines on Tampa score more than other lines on Edmonton? Tampa’s 4th line scoring 40 goals doesn’t really help Kucherov’s point totals at all in my opinion.
Oh, we're only taking about ES scoring? If that's the case then not only is McDavid better but Kane is too.

Are you really going to try to argue that having depth doesn't make it much harder for teams to stop star players? Tampa is an absolute nightmare for a coach to game plan against. I can't believe that needs an explanation.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
Do players even care about these polls? Most of them probably tick off the first player listed in every catagory without thinking about it, which gives us the winners, and make the poll useless. Players have better things to do than wasting their time filling out a poll. They will finish it as fast as they can by giving no thought as to who to pick in each catagory.

Do you cross a lot of NHL players in your day to day life? I do, and they're glued on sportscentre when its on. They react to highlights and misplays just like the rest of us. They have huge egos and in my opinion they definitely care about this kind of stuff that takes 5 minutes out of their day.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
This is quite the assumption. Here's the other side of the argument, NHL players aren't as busy as you think and they have plenty of time to take 2 minutes to read through and answer a list of 15-20 questions. They weren't required to answer the questions so I doubt they would have filled it out if they didn't want to.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
Do you cross a lot of NHL players in your day to day life? I do, and they're glued on sportscentre when its on. They react to highlights and misplays just like the rest of us. They have huge egos and in my opinion they definitely care about this kind of stuff that takes 5 minutes out of their day.

Which one of the winners is your favorite player?

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Oh, we're only taking about ES scoring? If that's the case then not only is McDavid better but Kane is too.

Are you really going to try to argue that having depth doesn't make it much harder for teams to stop star players? Tampa is an absolute nightmare for a coach to game plan against. I can't believe that needs an explanation.

So coaches put their best D against Cedric Paquette instead of Kucherov? That does make sense. It can be hard to decide which one to shut down.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
In 2018-2019? Umm they are legit so inferior to Kucherov that it's insane. Mcdavid as always stat-padding at the end of a season in meaningless games when his team is already two miles out of the playoffs. Same story as last year. Crosby's is great but his best days behind him, he's nowhere near winning scoring race or selke or any other hardware.

What is with this stupid opinion by some that McDavid should stop trying and shouldn’t give a full effort in every game?

Like where does this come from? Is he honestly supposed to not try anymore?

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I agree with these choices. Habs aren't where they are without Price, that's for sure, he's the Habs MVP, and if he can carry them in the Playoffs, Price becomes candidate for the most valuable player award.

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
In 2018-2019? Umm they are legit so inferior to Kucherov that it's insane. Mcdavid as always stat-padding at the end of a season in meaningless games when his team is already two miles out of the playoffs. Same story as last year. Crosby's is great but his best days behind him, he's nowhere near winning scoring race or selke or any other hardware.
[mod] lmao. The players know who they hate to play against and they didnt pick Kucherov get over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Future GOAT

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Top 5 forward. Anyone who thinks he's top 15-20 is still underrating him.
Barkov got the 5th most votes for #1 best forward in the league.

Other poster said he should have 0 votes for best forward in the league...(because obviously he in not better than Mcdavid)

You used that to call him underrated, although you completely agree with what he said?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad