OT: NHL14 and/or General Video Gaming Thread Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
NHL 15 is the first NHL game I have missed in more than .....17 years? Has it been that long? Anyways, it's so sad what they're doing to that game by making HUT the only playable game mode so that people funnel their money into it in order to have a competitive team. It's extortion. I refuse to participate in that.

Same for me. There may be one that I'm not thinking of along the way, but I'm pretty sure I've had everything since NHL 94.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It's funny, I started buying the NHL franchise starting with NHLPA 93. While I took a few years off here and there (96, 2000) I still regularly bought the game any given year. But in recent years I just stopped giving a damn, it'll probably take a few years to get me back onboard with the series. But EA's pushing of UT so much in its games that it's seemingly making other types of gameplay take a backseat entirely. Hugely disappointing since that's the type of gameplay I enjoy the least, and yet EA makes so much off the microtransactions that there's absolutely nothing to dissuade them from emphasizing that game mode.

So basically, until EA starts focusing more on the dynasty modes, and incorporating more teams again, I'm going to stop caring for a while.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I had some games to trade in, so NHL 15 on PS4 only ended up costing me $22, so I can't really complain. The gameplay is still good; I never really got into the dynasty modes or anything like that, just played through a season or two since switching to EA when the NHL2K games stopped.

The menus are clunky, and it does feel like an unfinished product from a presentation standpoint (no PNC area, c'mon), but the meat for me is the gameplay. For $22, I'm not going to complain too much.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Every for profit company, with very few exceptions, is trying to take as much money from dumb people as possible. HUT is the shining example of that. You can put together a passable roster of low level NHLers for very cheap and those players don't perform much worse than the all-star teams the credit card warriors put together. As someone who hasn't spent a dime on that game mode since a couple PS Store gift cards it's first year, it is very satisfying to just demolish those all-star teams with no players above an 88 overall.

So far this year I'm 10-1-1 with Nathan Gerbe leading the team in scoring. He's a shifty little pecker.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Agreed. The great players I get, I prefer to earn. And I can usually win pretty regularly even while I'm building my team.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
as somebody who legitimately likes the ultimate team modes in nhl and fifa and nba 2k, i still have no interest in nhl 15.

definitely getting fifa and nba, though

just look at the fans in nhl how can anyone want this:

vfxlJuz.jpg

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
as somebody who legitimately likes the ultimate team modes in nhl and fifa and nba 2k, i still have no interest in nhl 15.

definitely getting fifa and nba, though

just look at the fans in nhl how can anyone want this:

LOL @ that face and neck.

Reminds me of this glitch:

mhdjc.jpg

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
On another note, if NHL 15 has convinced me to wait a bit for this new gen, FIFA 15 is looking like it wants to completely ***** slap me for even considering that.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
On another note, if NHL 15 has convinced me to wait a bit for this new gen, FIFA 15 is looking like it wants to completely ***** slap me for even considering that.

the demo is really good. i was skeptical after FIFA 14 because it seemed like they weren't adding much, but the gameplay just feels better in all the right ways.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah between destiny and FIFA maybe I'm ready to step to the plate. May lean xbox because an update coming will allow the ability to put an external hard drive on it and watch your movie files. Mkv and mp4's. 360 could do it but only allowed files up 4 gigs. If the xbone allows bigger files in that situation I might be all in. I stream them through Apple TV currently but would prefer just to have them direct and not counting on wifi. Been hesitant to buy a htpc just to attach movies. Seems like it may be awhile before ps4 does this.

Bosnyi

Bruins-islanders
Apr 10, 2014
massachusets
Wrong forum but . . . I keep getting these constant pop ups, i can leave them easily enough but i get one about every minute. I cant find a definite cause, of you can help it'd help a ton thnks

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm just gonna wait and try to find NHL15 a bit cheaper once they release the GM mode draft patch. That not being in there on release day was the last straw for me.

The FIFA demo does looks amazing on PS4 though.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Good to hear about fifa, that's been my main motivation for jumping to next (current) gen. I've been doing fall recruiting here for states internship for credit program, and my campus interviews should wrap up the 23nd. I'm thinking I'm going to pick up a ps4 right after that, and then fifa when it comes out a couple days after.

bluedevil58*

Man the Pve in destiny is challenging. Some of these missions are near impossible.

bluedevil58*

I literally played Destiny all weekend and I know one thing. The Defender sub class is incredible for all situations. During PvP I dare people to come into my bubble.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
I literally played Destiny all weekend and I know one thing. The Defender sub class is incredible for all situations. During PvP I dare people to come into my bubble.

it is very good in the salvage playlist

i hate that isn't a permanent one because that is by far the best gametype so far

Bosnyi

Bruins-islanders
Apr 10, 2014
massachusets
Been playing riki a ton lately, probably my favorite chatacter to play. Was wondering if i should grab a blink with him? I like to get yasha, phase boots, and perseverance on him asap for speed/damage, speed/damge, and regen. What do you think?

Was playing riki and laning with bounty hunter, absolutely obliterated the other team in like ten mins. Highly recommend bounty hunter + riki combo

Last edited:

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
you'll find that riki gets less and less good the higher up you get in the skill brackets. lower skill brackets are full of players who have no idea what detection is and how to deal with riki (or bounty hunter, broodmother, clinkz, phantom lancer, nyx assassin, etc.)

riki's best skill is actually his smoke cloud thing. that thing is ridiculous. long duration aoe silence, slow, and sort of disarm. so good. i've even played a support riki before where i just snuck around and dropped that in teamfights in between stacking camps and warding/dewarding.

i don't think blink is a great choice on him. he already has a targeted blink, and you should be picking off people anyway rather than trying to teamfight. your job as riki is pretty much always to sneak around until the end of battles and get the stragglers or to quickly burst down split pushers or other heroes way out of position. you definitely should be picking up a diffusal blade because he quickly becomes insane when you grab one. you can also rebuy the recipe to get the charges back, iirc.

Bosnyi

Bruins-islanders
Apr 10, 2014
massachusets
you'll find that riki gets less and less good the higher up you get in the skill brackets. lower skill brackets are full of players who have no idea what detection is and how to deal with riki (or bounty hunter, broodmother, clinkz, phantom lancer, nyx assassin, etc.)

riki's best skill is actually his smoke cloud thing. that thing is ridiculous. long duration aoe silence, slow, and sort of disarm. so good. i've even played a support riki before where i just snuck around and dropped that in teamfights in between stacking camps and warding/dewarding.

i don't think blink is a great choice on him. he already has a targeted blink, and you should be picking off people anyway rather than trying to teamfight. your job as riki is pretty much always to sneak around until the end of battles and get the stragglers or to quickly burst down split pushers or other heroes way out of position. you definitely should be picking up a diffusal blade because he quickly becomes insane when you grab one. you can also rebuy the recipe to get the charges back, iirc.

Does he really fade off against tougher opponents?! Darn, he so much fun to play with. Also what items should i grab with wisp after i grab a mechanism and arcane boots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad