OT: NHL14 and/or General Video Gaming Thread Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
One of the things that bothers me about Be a GM is that simulating all of the games (don't have the time/patience to actually play them all) leads to odd win/loss streaks.

For example, my team went 1-5-1 in the preseason, then started the regular season 9-2-2. I saved and turned it off at that point. When I came back and started it up again, the team lost like 6 of the next 8 games for no apparent reason. Needless to say, I ragequit without saving, because it always seems to do **** like that.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
Anyone play Ultimate Team? I just tried it this year for the first time and was surprised at how much I enjoy it. Wish I had tried it years ago but I always dismissed it for some reason. It's the only thing I've played this year; haven't even touched GM mode. I'm up to Division 3 in online seasons. I believe this is my current roster:

Milan Lucic - Anze Kopitar - Mike Cammalleri
Jeff Skinner - Eric Staal - Alex Semin
Milan Michalek - Jordan Staal - Dustin Brown
Jiri Tlusty - Brandon Dubinsky - Tuomo Ruutu

Ryan Mcdonagh - Brent Seabrook
Marc Staal - Zach Bogosian
Andrej Meszaros - Kevin Bieksa

Niklas Backstrom
Devan Dubnyk

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Anyone play Ultimate Team? I just tried it this year for the first time and was surprised at how much I enjoy it. Wish I had tried it years ago but I always dismissed it for some reason. It's the only thing I've played this year; haven't even touched GM mode. I'm up to Division 3 in online seasons. I believe this is my current roster:

Niklas Backstrom
Devan Dubnyk

I've tried it, yes. But I haven't really gotten to the point where I have a team full of suitable NHL players. I normally get my craptacular starting roster, grab a few decent NHLers, and then run out of contract extension cards when I need them.

Solid team, though. Although you're paying too much for your 4th line RW. You should trade him.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
I was able to ramp up my team in two ways. First, it was pointed out to me that you get substantial bonuses for collecting all of the cards for individual teams. So, once I had slowly built up 15k or so coins, I went on the market and bought all of the cards for one of the AHL teams, which gives a 15k coin bonus. Then I immediately sold all of those cards, making back my initial investment plus usually some profit. After that you can keep doing that as much as you like, though I finally stopped because it got annoying.

The other thing that happened is that I had the fortune of pulling a Zach Parise Hockey Fights Cancer card out of a pack. I played with him on my roster for 50 games or so and he never had quite the impact that I wanted. I sold him for 160,000 coins and used that to buy Lucic, Kopitar, Skinner, all 3 Staals, Semin, and Mcdonagh, and I still have 75,000 left over.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Anyone playing in a GMC? In my league, season two is almost done.

My team (Nashville)

Leblanc (83) - Wilson (85) - Hornqvist (83)
Bourque (80) - Cullen (82) - Smith (83)
Spaling (83) - Gaustad (80) - Stalberg (83)
Bissonette (73) - Hendricks (78) - Beck (76)
Nystrom (78)

Jones (78) - Weber (92)
Josi (84) - Ellis (79)
Ekholm (78) - Klein (82)
Jarvinen (76)

Rinne (88)
Hellberg (77)

Lacking starquality at forward, but hopefully some guys (Wilson, Smith) keeps improving. My bottom six is really good, defense is great and Rinne is Rinne.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com

Niklas Backstrom
Devan Dubnyk
i played it for awhile and got bored of it a few months back. i still have a ton of cards and pucks if you (or anyone else here) want them.

edit: i'm on xbox

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
HUT has been pretty much the only part of the game I've played for a few years now. I love constantly building new teams. I never stick with the same group of guys for too long. I just love selling off players, buying new ones, and opening packs.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
My HUT team is pretty ridiculous. I'll post it.

Kessel(89)-EStaal(90)-HL Ruutu(90)
Duchene(87)-Richards(88)-Benn(88)
HL Skinner(88)-JStaal(87)-Pominville(87)
HL Landeskog(86)-Backstrom(87)-Semin(87)

HL Carlson(88)-McDonagh(88)
HL E. Johnson(88)-HL Fowler(84)
Faulk(83)-Bouwmeester(86)
J. Johnson(86)

Schneider(86)
Lehtonen(86)
Bishop(81)

The Ruutu on my first line is the team of the week card from the Olympics. It's amazing. He has like 89SKT 90SHT 89HND 92CHK 92DEF wearing an A. Also Bishop is really good cause he's big.

I hate HUT online though. It's absolute ****.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I've won Division 1 a couple of times in HUT. Never won the Elite playoffs though. Some cheeseball always beats me in the finals (or earlier). That's the only mode I really play. I don't really have a very good team, but it seems to get the job done.

Skinner - EStaal - Semin
Heatley - Lecavallier - CStewart
Random - Random - Random
Random - Random - Random

WC Gardiner - EJohnson
HL Sekera - Faulk
Random - Random

Bishop
Sideshow Bob

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
I put the following players up for trade on XBox. If you want them just send a contract card or whatever and I'll accept. Team name is Mangopumpkin and the auctions end in 24hrs.

Couture (sold)
Franzen
M.Koivu (sold)
J.Staal
Spezza (sold)
Girardi
J.Johnson (sold)
Semin (sold)
Burns (sold)

Last edited:

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I put the following players up for trade on XBox. If you want them just send a contract card or whatever and I'll accept. Team name is Mangopumpkin and the auctions end in 24hrs.

Couture (sold)
Franzen
M.Koivu (sold)
J.Staal
Spezza (sold)
Girardi
J.Johnson
Semin (sold)
Burns

Appreciate it :)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
All I've done with nhl14 is build my guys up playing drop in, which was a blast. I overdid it and am taking a break now. I'm never really around enough to commit to a club but I'd like to.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Anyone got one of the new consoles? I've always been xbox but was considering switching up since nothing is backwards compatible anyways. Anyone have thoughts? I've read all the review, hoping for hands on opinions.

CaniacSZN

May 20, 2013
I started a GM mode today as the Canes..Trying to tank the first season before playing any games I traded Eric Staal to Edmonton for their 1st round pick in 14 and 15. Traded Staal and Semin to Nashville for the same picks + Legwand. Thinking I'd easily have a top 5 pick, that wasn't the case as my team ended up winning the stanley cup. (I actually played Nashville in the finals.) :laugh: Cam Ward was the conn smythe winner and somehow Palushaj was my captain. Gotta love video games.

CaniacSZN

May 20, 2013
Anyone got one of the new consoles? I've always been xbox but was considering switching up since nothing is backwards compatible anyways. Anyone have thoughts? I've read all the review, hoping for hands on opinions.

I have the PS4 and like it a lot. I've never personally played the xbox one but watching it online imo the PS4 seems better.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh

I have an Xbox One, and my roommate has a PS4.

I'll probably own both eventually, I just got the Xbox first since my friends list on Xbox is more extensive than the one on PS4.

However, if the Sony exclusives on the PS4 are as high in quality as on the PS3, I'd definitely lean towards that route if I were you. If you have no qualms about doing so, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad