NHL Vegas wants to buy AHL team and move it to LV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I was under the impression that AHL teams are required to have a NHL affiliation, that must not be the case then.

You posted about sharing an affiliation, of which there's no rule or bylaw against.

Now if you want to talk about a team playing without an NHL affiliate, the AHL claims it isn't against their rules or bylaws. But comments attributed to former Norfolk Admirals (AHL) owner Ken Young certainly make it seem that there is a rule against it.

"Young said Friday that his alternative to selling the Norfolk franchise was owning a team with no NHL affiliation and no AHL schedule."

Owner: Sale of Norfolk Admirals nearly a done deal

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

Andrew Zadarnowski is a hockey writer following the Montréal Canadiens as well as minor league hockey. SinBin Vegas commented on his tweet about the proceedings and said that it's not Chicago who will be bought and relocated. SinBin is a pretty reliable source and has been correct on most of their predictions. This seems to corroborate with Wolves stating that they're not going anywhere. Not surprising with Chicago's ownership, known to be committed and independently thinking with a large and equally committed and independently thinking fanbase to back them up.

That means affiliation changes regardless of who gets bought and sold, if Vegas does get their AHL franchise. Calgary might be tired of burning through their affiliates and throw out Stockton to the Knights. I can't see the Spurs letting go of free money in the form of their Rampage. Rockford is owned by the city and has been the AHL affiliate of Chicago since their inception with a very happy relationship. The only other independents out West are Milwaukee, Colorado, and Grand Rapids aren't going to go anywhere.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Sounds like they'll practice "across the valley" from VGK in new ice facility being built in Henderson (near Executive Airport and 49ers practice facility), and play in off Strip at the Orleans.

(Nevada is the Silver State)

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Just FYI, this is pure speculation and not based on any inside sources. There are no "talks" other than here on HFBoards.

It wouldn't be HFBoards if people didn't act like something that was nowhere near confirmed was a done deal. Chicago had to tweet out the equivalent of "we're not going anywhere" because of all the ruckus.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
So in all of these rumors, I’m seeing Stockton and Rockford get tossed around. And then Chicago would just get a new affiliate. Is that basically the gist of it? Are there any other cities that look like possible targets?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
No way Chicago sells/relocates, and they already resent being an affiliate as is.
I honestly wonder if we'll ever see a 33 team AHL league - 32 affiliates, and Chicago independent.

AHL has never been larger than the NHL and they're both on record stating they want 1-1 affiliation. Zero chance the AHL expands past 32 without the NHL doing it first. And seeing how the NHL is done with expansion, that isn't happening any time soon.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
AHL has never been larger than the NHL and they're both on record stating they want 1-1 affiliation. Zero chance the AHL expands past 32 without the NHL doing it first. And seeing how the NHL is done with expansion, that isn't happening any time soon.
They get their 1-1 affiliation, plus an extra franchise that is historically solid, and who wants to be independent, and can carry their own as an independent.

I doubt it'd happen, but I don't think it'd be that crazy.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
They get their 1-1 affiliation, plus an extra franchise that is historically solid, and who wants to be independent, and can carry their own as an independent.

I doubt it'd happen, but I don't think it'd be that crazy.

Vegas is on paper saying they have been looking to buy a AHL franchise since their inception. It hasn't happened yet, despite the AHL expanding two 2 more teams since then. If the AHL was going to expand past 32, it would have happened by now. Instead, it is much more likely that the AHL is not budging past 32. If Vegas wants a team, Foley will have to acquire and relocate a team rather than the AHL expanding past the constraints they've never outgrown before simply to accommodate one NHL team that has had 2 separate opportunities to buy AHL expansion teams and hasn't.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Now there's an allegation that the IceHogs are in play.

IceHogs could be sold to Vegas (Not Confirmed)

But to copy and paste my reaction to that topic:

A few things to note....

First, the Hawks don't care about the attendance of their affiliates as they don't get a piece of that gate pie. Don't get me wrong, they don't want to have their prospects playing in front of flies, and very much want to use their farm system to bolster their brand, but if a team is drawing fairly well then they're happy.

Second, with all due respect to a Courtney, Rockford is a boring town where there's not a lot of distractions and basically as there is to do is to train and get good. That with the proximity makes them a perfect developmental team. Plus, I've never heard of rumblings that the relationship between the two ownerships is at all rocky. We have a good thing going in Rockford.

Third, the Chicago-Chicago affiliation pipe dream is essentially just something that out of towners suggest without really knowing the history of the squads. The animosity has calmed down, but the Wolves formed as a rebellion from the old regime to give hockey fans an outlet and established itself as a very profitable brand not connected with the Hawks and focusing on winning. That with the fact that they have long been rumored as a poor developmental partner by demanding more input on coaching and roster decisions to the possible detriment of big club prospects does not make me think they'd be a good fit for us.

Finally, fourth.... if the rumors are true, that the Hawks do want out of Rockford, it is almost assuredly because they'd want to expand their market footprint with said team. More likely than not, they'd view Rockford as established Hawks territory and look either downstate or Indiana to place an AHL team rather than partnering up with another squad in Chicago. So, if the allegation is true, I'd infinitely more expect the team to buy the Hogs and move them directly to another market like Indianapolis, Peoria, or the Quad Cities.

All being said, I highly doubt that Rockford is in any kind of risk, and if it is I doubt it's for a move to Vegas.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
I don't recall the Wranglers drawing very well at the Orleans Arena, but i do remember the Thunder having some great attendance during their IHL days at Thomas and Mack. That said, lets hope they draw more like the Marlies than that of the Barracuda.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Did I miss something where they weren't offered an AHL franchise when they joined the NHL? I thought they passed on it and the franchise was offered to Colorado instead...

They were...and they did. I think the wording is incorrect..I think they have always eventually wanted their team out west...they are just now feeling comfortable about pursuing it. Heard a few things in the last week or so...1) Vegas spoke up when Seattle was announced and said they were now interested in a team and were told you had your chance and passed,now it's Seattle's turn...2) things in Rockford aren't as good as people think...was told by a staffer that they would be surprised if the icehogs were there in 2 years...that in spite of all the money spent the building is still a dump. It's their feeling the hawks buy team and move them to Indianapolis...where they once had their IHL affiliate. 3) All this talk about calgary selling and moving their team...it would completely undermine all the work and "reasons" that all those teams moved out there to begin with...to leave this soon would really call all that "talk" back then into question...especially when Brian Burke was spearheading the movement while in charge in calgary.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

Sounds like they'll practice "across the valley" from VGK in new ice facility being built in Henderson (near Executive Airport and 49ers practice facility), and play in off Strip at the Orleans.

(Nevada is the Silver State)

Raiders practice facility

That would be a great location, I could almost walk to games.

Reactions: LadyStanley

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I don't recall the Wranglers drawing very well at the Orleans Arena, but i do remember the Thunder having some great attendance during their IHL days at Thomas and Mack. That said, lets hope they draw more like the Marlies than that of the Barracuda.

A Vegas AHL team would outdraw both the Wranglers and the Thunder. Bigger league, more and higher NHL prospects, the whetting of hockey appetite with the Golden Knights' success.

You'd get diehards with money going to both when schedule allows, and you'd get us poverty stricken fans going to games we can actually afford. "Afford" being relative because it would probably be among the highest AHL ticket prices.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
So the Ice Hogs are owned by the city.

(1) How is the city doing financially?
(2) How do citizens feel about this ownership? I mean citizens, not really fans.
(3) How does the city feel about whatever demands the Blackhawks might make upon it to improve the arena?

Points worth pursuing. That makes Rockford an odd team in a different situation than nearly everyone else.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Did I miss something where they weren't offered an AHL franchise when they joined the NHL? I thought they passed on it and the franchise was offered to Colorado instead...

I agree with what Axecrew put in response to this. They've had at least two opportunities to buy AHL franchises. The first was bought by Martin Lind, who independently owns and operates the Colorado Eagles. The second was sold to the OVG, who owns the Seattle NHL team.

My thinking is they've been passively looking since they haven't truly had that many prospects, given that they've only had 3 draft classes and only a few of the Vegas contract players put in Chicago are actual drafted by Vegas. The need hasn't been there and attention has been directed towards other aspects of a young franchise. They're definitely more comfortable now in pursuing an AHL franchise more actively than before.

A Vegas AHL team would outdraw both the Wranglers and the Thunder. Bigger league, more and higher NHL prospects, the whetting of hockey appetite with the Golden Knights' success.

You'd get diehards with money going to both when schedule allows, and you'd get us poverty stricken fans going to games we can actually afford. "Afford" being relative because it would probably be among the highest AHL ticket prices.

I'm not saying this won't happen, but I'm extremely skeptical. Things will change dramatically when the Raiders arrive in a few months, hockey won't be the only pro sport available. Only three other cities share the NHL and AHL. San José Barracuda is bottom five in attendance, despite being the only hockey team besides the Sharks in the Bay Area. Manitoba Moose is well under 5,000 despite being in an area that is much more hockey obsessed than Vegas will ever be. Toronto does well because it's in a metro area with triple the population of Vegas and is significantly more wealthy (edit: and significantly more obsessed with hockey than Vegas could ever will hope to be).

Last edited:
Reactions: axecrew

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
They were...and they did. I think the wording is incorrect..I think they have always eventually wanted their team out west...they are just now feeling comfortable about pursuing it. Heard a few things in the last week or so...1) Vegas spoke up when Seattle was announced and said they were now interested in a team and were told you had your chance and passed,now it's Seattle's turn...2) things in Rockford aren't as good as people think...was told by a staffer that they would be surprised if the icehogs were there in 2 years...that in spite of all the money spent the building is still a dump. It's their feeling the hawks buy team and move them to Indianapolis...where they once had their IHL affiliate. 3) All this talk about calgary selling and moving their team...it would completely undermine all the work and "reasons" that all those teams moved out there to begin with...to leave this soon would really call all that "talk" back then into question...especially when Brian Burke was spearheading the movement while in charge in calgary.
From what I heard the indiana farmers coliseum got a massive renovation but it isn’t exactly state of the art maybe @crimsonace can clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad