NHL.TV / Center Ice Discussion - Part III [See the warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
NHL.tv on Roku failing with "Unable to connect with the NHL service. Please try again later.". Portland OR area. Internet is up.

Anyone else?

EDIT: can't reach nhl.com. Wtf?

Reactions: Hobby Bull

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
That should not be happening with your Roku. I'm using a Roku Ultra, and in the NHLTV app, one of my settings is HIDE SCORES (ON). So, when I select SCORES from the banner along the top, I see the teams and start times for today's slate of games or similar details for past games, if I roll the date back. However, I never see any scores of current games nor past games when I'm in the SCORES display.
A suggestion: If you're settings are indeed correct and you're still having this problem, you might consider removing the NHL app, then update/restart your Roku, then locate and reinstall the NHL app. Then log back into your NHLTV acct, and see if it's fixed. I'm out of ideas after that. Good luck.
I have found a solution. When a video is not archived on the Roku ( let’s say a game is in progress or just ended ) if you turn the game on you need to let the video play for 30 seconds or so to give the app time to update or recognize the settings . After ten seconds or so the scoreboard will revert to the way it should be ( hidden ) and everything is fine . As mentioned if you turn the video on and immediately do something ( fast forward for example) you will see the current score or final . Thanks for trying to help !

Reactions: Mach2

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The Avalanche/Blues game is currently blacked out in the UK despite it not being shown on any channels here until 4AM tomorrow morning

Good stuff, this

Mach2

Jan 15, 2021
I have found a solution. When a video is not archived on the Roku ( let’s say a game is in progress or just ended ) if you turn the game on you need to let the video play for 30 seconds or so to give the app time to update or recognize the settings . After ten seconds or so the scoreboard will revert to the way it should be ( hidden ) and everything is fine . As mentioned if you turn the video on and immediately do something ( fast forward for example) you will see the current score or final . Thanks for trying to help !
Turns out that my suggestion about the Roku had nothing to do with solving the problem you described. Yesterday, I experienced the white scoreboard that you have been seeing. So, your suggestion now solves the same problem for me. Return thanks to you - too funny!

Reactions: Caper Bruins fan

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Once again the NHL app on Roku gave away the score when I fast forwarded my game after starting from the beginning. I have scores set to off just because of this sort of thing. Some doughhead thinks we want to know the scores in a tapedelayed game and is proud of himself he added a feature to an app.

I need send the NHL an email.

Edit: Just got off a Chat with <Name Hidden> at NHL.TV. He says there might be an option to turn it off by hitting * and under Milestones.

He also warned they don't officially support the TV app, only the external Roku device (and fire stick, etc.). Contacting Roku, if that doesn't work, would possibly/probably get a redirect from Roku back to NHL.TV since Roku doesn't make the app. Basically a Catch-22. I appreciated the honesty.

He also asked me to confirm it was the App and not the TV's Browser. I wasn't aware of one for Roku but I will look for one. That's likely to get me logged into the webpage version if they have one. Otherwise I can use my laptop. That helped me watch a game in Canada I didn't have access to on the Canadian version.

Last edited:

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Is anybody else having trouble with Montreal/Toronto. Just says it's loading. The other game loads although I can't watch because it's blacked out.

Mach2

Jan 15, 2021
FWIW: I have a monthly subscription to NHL.TV. As this season is coming to an end on NHL.TV, I took a look at my subscription account details, and it says that for the 2021-2022 season my subscription will be automatically renewed for the FULL SEASON at the then current price. It does give an option to cancel my current monthly subscription (which will avoid the auto renew for the full season - probably in October 2021).

Last edited:

miked1991

Jan 28, 2014
Coventry, England
Does anyone else get an error when watching delayed where the video flashes to a black screen and back a couple of times fast and then just goes dead? It's happening more and more for me, probably couple of times a game now. And the only fix is to refresh the game and skip to just after the point where it dropped out... which gives away whether or not the game will go to OT by the length of the bar.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Any chance the playoff games aired on NBC will magically appear on the app?

I've been getting all of them (with my NHL.tv subscription)... Even checked todays Caps/Bruins game and that one loaded up for me, same day... Not sure what's going on but I'll certainly take it! Last year I had to wait 48 hours for the playoff games to become available for viewing...

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I wonder how NHL.TV is going to change next year being on ESPN +. There really hasn't been much talk about NHL.TV moving over to ESPN+ and if the blackout restrictions might change. I know it's really all about what the RSNs say, but it does suck if you have been watching a team on NHL.TV all season long you have to get the NBC feed for the playoffs instead of the home announcers. Kind of wish I could listen to Goldstien and Moller on Sunday for the Panthers game, for example.

Reactions: Faterson

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I wonder how NHL.TV is going to change next year being on ESPN +. There really hasn't been much talk about NHL.TV moving over to ESPN+ and if the blackout restrictions might change. I know it's really all about what the RSNs say, but it does suck if you have been watching a team on NHL.TV all season long you have to get the NBC feed for the playoffs instead of the home announcers. Kind of wish I could listen to Goldstien and Moller on Sunday for the Panthers game, for example.

Use a VPN with NHL.TV and you’ll get Goldy and Moller. I’ve done this all series.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
NHL.tv on Roku failing with "Unable to connect with the NHL service. Please try again later.". Portland OR area. Internet is up.

Anyone else?

EDIT: can't reach nhl.com. Wtf?
For me, I could only get a message that the game I wanted to watch hadn't started yet. That message continued through 5 1/2 periods of an elimination game in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. I'm outraged.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Mach2

Jan 15, 2021
I began watching last night's game 6 of Panthers v Tampa on NBCSN. The audio was dull - could just barely detect any on-ice sounds and the announcers (Kenny Albert +1) sounded like they were in a hotel room somewhere. Haven't noticed this before with other games on NBCSN. So, I switched to the Bally Sports App for Tampa, and the team announcers and sounds were sharp and crisp - much better. However, the Bally app is still very bad for rewinding and forwarding the games and the volume is really low at the standard setting - have to crank up the volume a great deal just to hear something at the right level. Hopefully, Bally will do some major overall of the app during the off-season.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Yes. Regional ads would be far less annoying. Stupid GDPR and analogous stuff is to be blamed for this.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I'm considering cutting the cord(bell canada satt) and using my roku for center ice , netflix and other services .

this means I'll be blacked out when the Isles play the leafs (maybe sens too)or when they play nationally in canada .

are blacked out gms available after a certain amount of time passes by ?

is there a library of past season games and other content available on the roku canadian c-ice and could you watch those in the summer if bored ?

thanks in advance

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
I'm considering cutting the cord(bell canada satt) and using my roku for center ice , netflix and other services .

this means I'll be blacked out when the Isles play the leafs (maybe sens too)or when they play nationally in canada .

are blacked out gms available after a certain amount of time passes by ?

is there a library of past season games and other content available on the roku canadian c-ice and could you watch those in the summer if bored ?

thanks in advance

Yes, blacked out games are available the next day. Maybe a 24 hour wait period. But they definitely become available for replay.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Gamecenter literally just quit on me with 50 seconds to go in Game 5. Internet is just fine, but Gamecenter completely died. Can't get to the game with 3 different devices.

Got it back for the handshake line.

Reactions: 3rd Sedin

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Vancouver
Gamecenter literally just quit on me with 50 seconds to go in Game 5. Internet is just fine, but Gamecenter completely died. Can't get to the game with 3 different devices.

Got it back for the handshake line.
Same thing just happened here. Can’t even get the handshake line to upload. Punctuation mark on an awful streaming service this season.

Reactions: LeafGrief
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad