NHL.TV / Center Ice Discussion - Part III [See the warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach2

Jan 15, 2021
Currently, ESPN+ in the U.S. is $5.99/month plus sales tax and other charges. For me, it's $6.83/month.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Turns into 6.99 a month from next month.
Correct. On August 13 I believe.

I'm watching all of this very closely, to see if I can essentially find a VPN that works with ESPN+, and thereby get all the hockey I could want for $10-15 per month.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I was wondering if it was announced how the Out of Market packages would work. If I went annual, I would have to do it before the 13th, but if I pay for ESPN+, does it come with the out of market package or is that extra. If it's not extra then I would say buy the NHL Package before August 13th.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Still no news whether NHL.tv will continue as usual for those of us in Europe.

I'd very much prefer that. The last time the NHL was available for us via the ESPN player, it was a mess. There were blackouts, and it was expensive.

Let's keep everything as it has been over the last few seasons for Europeans, please. Let's not go back to the dark ages where they force you to look for alternative ways.

I fear that the switch from NBC to ESPN may turn out to be disastrous for Europeans. ESPN is a zero in Europe, no one watches it, most people don't even know it exists, it's just a throwaway channel.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
On a related note, it looks like Bally has moved their alleged $23/month to just under $20/month for the direct to consumer streaming option for 2022:

https://thestreamable.com

"Additionally, Ripley remained quiet on pricing for a direct-to-consumer product. However, paperwork filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission earlier this summer suggested they could expect to make about $19.58 per customer from such a product. This price point is well above monthly fees for Netflix, HBO Max, or the Disney Bundle that includes Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+. Moreover, it assumes customers would stick around for a full year as opposed to coming and going."

Mach2

Jan 15, 2021
On a related note, it looks like Bally has moved their alleged $23/month to just under $20/month for the direct to consumer streaming option for 2022:..."
Whichever way Bally decides to cover the upcoming NHL season, I just hope they fix their terrible Bally app before the season starts. It's the most irritating streaming app I've ever experienced: very low volume, slow, klutzy navigation, rewind, FF, etc.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

I'd very much prefer that. The last time the NHL was available for us via the ESPN player, it was a mess. There were blackouts, and it was expensive.

Let's keep everything as it has been over the last few seasons for Europeans, please. Let's not go back to the dark ages where they force you to look for alternative ways.

I fear that the switch from NBC to ESPN may turn out to be disastrous for Europeans. ESPN is a zero in Europe, no one watches it, most people don't even know it exists, it's just a throwaway channel.

NHL.tv continues in Europe. ESPN’s rights are US only (+ some Latin American countries)

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada

I'm wondering the same (Canadian) but I have a hunch nothing will change for us . Center Ice pkg in Canada will just use the available feed whether is from espn , msg , nesn etc..etc... Sportsnet will just use the espn feed when they air random u.s verses u.s matchups like they previously used nbcsn

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Espn plus alone will get you the out of home market games not on national broadcast by either espn, abc, or turner networks from what I can tell.

This would be great if true. I live in Texas and, for the most part, only watch my Avs games which are all out of market (excluding when they play the Stars).

But I can’t help but think there’s a catch. I paid $100+ each season for NHL.TV and now I only have to subscribe to ESPN+ for the in-season months at 6.99/month. That is significantly cheaper. Life usually doesn’t work that way…

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
This would be great if true. I live in Texas and, for the most part, only watch my Avs games which are all out of market (excluding when they play the Stars).

But I can’t help but think there’s a catch. I paid $100+ each season for NHL.TV and now I only have to subscribe to ESPN+ for the in-season months at 6.99/month. That is significantly cheaper. Life usually doesn’t work that way…
Indeed.

As a native Cheesehead I've had the pleasure of watching my beloved Red Wings via Center Ice since 1999...I'm also skeptical of the fact that what was NHLTV will now be included with the ESPN+ monthly fee.

Quote from ESPN - "Additionally, the NHL's out-of-market streaming package, with more than 1,000 games (formerly on NHL.TV), will now be available for fans to stream only as part of an ESPN+ subscription."

A bit vague with regards to the specifics, but I'd likely cut the cord if out of market games via ESPN+ were this cheap.

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021
Do we know yet if there are going to be changes here in Canada? I have used Centre Ice for the past few years but the price is just ridiculous, especially when I add on the cost of TSN/Sportsnet.

Will the nhl.tv app still be an option?
Man I'm so confused no one in these conversations are specifying what side of the border they are talking about.

Personally I'd like to find some sort of budget serivce in Canada.

I only want 3-4 games a week. The big sticky for me is being able to watch them when I want.

I can't watch hockey in the evenings.

There's a Sens-Habs games thinger for west of Belleville but it is exclusively in french.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Indeed.

As a native Cheesehead I've had the pleasure of watching my beloved Red Wings via Center Ice since 1999...I'm also skeptical of the fact that what was NHLTV will now be included with the ESPN+ monthly fee.

Quote from ESPN - "Additionally, the NHL's out-of-market streaming package, with more than 1,000 games (formerly on NHL.TV), will now be available for fans to stream only as part of an ESPN+ subscription."

A bit vague with regards to the specifics, but I'd likely cut the cord if out of market games via ESPN+ were this cheap.

ESPN+ is awesome to begin with. This just takes things to a new level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad