NHL.TV / Center Ice Discussion - Part III [See the warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I have a GTX 1050TI, I5 7th Gen, SSD, 16 gigs DDR4. Just bought a new Tenda AC1900 dual band router. Have 50 MB Spectrum Internet... No other traffic on my Internet than me.

Can stream anything with high quality and zero issues, besides NHL.TV

I have had issues for 3 years now trying to get this choppiness out. Don't know what else to do..

Anyone have any ideas?

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Can't seem to pull any HD feeds tonight from my NHL.tv subscription... Anyone ever ran into this before?

Trying to troubleshoot...

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Anyone have any ideas?

-Are you using a hard-wired ethernet connection?

-If Wi-Fi is your only option, make sure you have a separate password set up for the 2.4 Ghz and the 5.0 Ghz network...

-Charter Spectrum? Are you using their provided modem? If so, I'm almost positive they allow you to purchase your own modem - you just need to speak to their Tech Support dept. and they will explain to you how to configure it with their servicee...

-Good idea to unplug your modem for 3 minutes every now and then and allow it to reset...

Reactions: haulinbass

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I have the combination of

NHL Center Ice on Verizon Fios, I was also able to link it to the NHL.tv so finally paying once for both services is nice.

I have had no issues wired or wireless as I travel alot, I'm a truck driver.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
-Are you using a hard-wired ethernet connection?

-If Wi-Fi is your only option, make sure you have a separate password set up for the 2.4 Ghz and the 5.0 Ghz network...

-Charter Spectrum? Are you using their provided modem? If so, I'm almost positive they allow you to purchase your own modem - you just need to speak to their Tech Support dept. and they will explain to you how to configure it with their servicee...

-Good idea to unplug your modem for 3 minutes every now and then and allow it to reset...

Why a separate PW for 2.4 and 5? I use the 5Ghz on my laptop and I am located within about 5 ft from the router.

I am using the Spectrum main modem, but for the wireless router I have a brand new Tenda AC1900 which should be plenty sufficient. I wasn't aware that I could replace the Spectrum main modem though.

I haven't tried to hard wire lately but I have in the past with no noticeable difference. I will try it again though.

Resetting the modem never seemed to help my issue.

I wondered if maybe streaming through my browser is the problem. I have used Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Vivaldi. Nothing seemed to resolve the issue. Is there anything else I can stream through on my computer without having to purchase something? Chrome is what I use lately, since I do not use Chrome for anything besides NHL.TV and have my GTX 1050TI dedicated to Chrome.

If nothing works I guess I will be forced to try upgrading to Spectrums 100mb. I just feel 50mb should be plenty sufficient considering sharing the Internet isn't a concern since only my wife uses it to read books on her kindl. I have ran speed tests and every time I clock in around the advertised 50mbps.

I just feel like my setup is much better than your average hockey fan would have and yet I still can't stream without a glitchyness to it. Projecting it to my TV on a bigger screen makes the problem much more annoying so I pretty much keep it on my laptop. I also have a backup laptop with an I7 4th gen, forget the graphics card, 16GB DDR3, etc. Same problem. Both my computer are very well maintained and run top notch. Can stream literally anything, any other sport, etc flawlessly besides NHL.TV. I'm no advanced computer tech by any means, but I certainly know my way around computers pretty well.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Why a separate PW for 2.4 and 5? I use the 5Ghz on my laptop and I am located within about 5 ft from the router.

I use a streaming box/device and I'm part of an online tech support group for troubleshooting. There are instances of people reporting buffering issues and they are frequently advised to make sure they are using separate PW's for their wireless network because allegedly devices may attempt to switch back-and-forth between the two networks if/when the signal drops from one, and this can affect your streaming experience. Since it's relatively easy to change the PW's, I would try this just in case it's a factor (doesn't hurt, right?)...

I am using the Spectrum main modem, but for the wireless router I have a brand new Tenda AC1900 which should be plenty sufficient. I wasn't aware that I could replace the Spectrum main modem though.

The provided modem may also serve to limit your speeds. I heard from another Spectrum user in my area that you have the option of calling Charter and requesting their newest modem, which should allow speeds up to 100 mbps, depending on the infrastructure in your area.

Then like I was saying, you also have the option of using your own modem. I've seen people recommend the Arris Surfboard models...

I haven't tried to hard wire lately but I have in the past with no noticeable difference. I will try it again though.

Have you run any speed tests when hardwired versus wireless? Might be a good idea....

Resetting the modem never seemed to help my issue.

Gotcha...

I wondered if maybe streaming through my browser is the problem. I have used Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Vivaldi. Nothing seemed to resolve the issue.

Could be, maybe someone else with experience streaming via browsers can chime in and comment...

If nothing works I guess I will be forced to try upgrading to Spectrums 100mb. I just feel 50mb should be plenty sufficient

Yeah for streaming 50 mbps should be quite sufficient... Some people get by fine in the 15-25 mbps range...

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Why the hell does nhl app not allow you to download games on your phones or tablets like all other good streaming apps? I cant stand having the quality dip to 480 or 340 randomly.

Having games archived is what keeps me using it but the constant score updates even tho that option is turned off and the constant changing resolution make this app hot garbage.

Reactions: egelband

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I have a GTX 1050TI, I5 7th Gen, SSD, 16 gigs DDR4. Just bought a new Tenda AC1900 dual band router. Have 50 MB Spectrum Internet... No other traffic on my Internet than me.

I have had issues for 3 years now trying to get this choppiness out. Don't know what else to do..

Anyone have any ideas?
Just a couple questions is the choppiness due to poor streaming like stuttering or is it possibly a low framerate feed? I don't have NHL TV but I do know that some streaming services for sports don't do 60 frames per second. For example, in Canada, TSN's streaming service only does 30 frames per second, while Sportsnet does 60 frames per second. So watching between the two, the TSN stream seems "choppy" by comparison. Is it at all possible that you may just be watching a lower framerate stream? Also, another suggestion would be trying to see how the feed is through a streaming device like a chromecast or even a gaming console. If it's still an issue on your TV, it may just be the feed and you'd have to add the motion smoothing to see how that works and if it "fixes" it.

Hopefully I don't sound condescending as I'm not trying to lol

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I use a streaming box/device and I'm part of an online tech support group for troubleshooting. There are instances of people reporting buffering issues and they are frequently advised to make sure they are using separate PW's for their wireless network because allegedly devices may attempt to switch back-and-forth between the two networks if/when the signal drops from one, and this can affect your streaming experience. Since it's relatively easy to change the PW's, I would try this just in case it's a factor (doesn't hurt, right?)...

The provided modem may also serve to limit your speeds. I heard from another Spectrum user in my area that you have the option of calling Charter and requesting their newest modem, which should allow speeds up to 100 mbps, depending on the infrastructure in your area.

Then like I was saying, you also have the option of using your own modem. I've seen people recommend the Arris Surfboard models...

Have you run any speed tests when hardwired versus wireless? Might be a good idea....

Gotcha...

Could be, maybe someone else with experience streaming via browsers can chime in and comment...

Yeah for streaming 50 mbps should be quite sufficient... Some people get by fine in the 15-25 mbps range...

Tried changing the Wifi PWs and no luck.

Just hooked up a new charter modem like 3 weeks ago. Appeared to be brand new and up to date.

Ran speed test hooked up to cable, exactly the same results as wireless.

Just to redescribe the issue, it like shutters. I can fast forward 20 times in a row randomly clicking on the game timeline and it loads instantly. I never cut out, etc. Just doesn't seem to be getting the frames needed to run smooth.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Just a couple questions is the choppiness due to poor streaming like stuttering or is it possibly a low framerate feed? I don't have NHL TV but I do know that some streaming services for sports don't do 60 frames per second. For example, in Canada, TSN's streaming service only does 30 frames per second, while Sportsnet does 60 frames per second. So watching between the two, the TSN stream seems "choppy" by comparison. Is it at all possible that you may just be watching a lower framerate stream? Also, another suggestion would be trying to see how the feed is through a streaming device like a chromecast or even a gaming console. If it's still an issue on your TV, it may just be the feed and you'd have to add the motion smoothing to see how that works and if it "fixes" it.

Hopefully I don't sound condescending as I'm not trying to lol

NHL.TV claims 60 fps. Not sure what I'm actually getting. It doesn't freeze at all, if I hit fast forward or reverse it responds instantly. I literally can randomly click wherever on the game timeline none stop and it just transitions flawlessly. But it does seem like its not getting enough frames. It gives me a headache sometimes. NHL.TV doesn't offer much for adjustments, all they offer is a high, medium and low setting. I aways run it on high.

I don't have access to another streaming device, so can't really try that unless I went out and bought something.

I tried playing with my graphics card settings, made sure triple buffering is on and pre-rendered frames is set at 4. Hell, I can run on my integrated graphics card at the same quality as my GTX 1050TI on NHL.TV. My GPU load is only at around 12% on average streaming a game.

No idea what else I can do.

NHL.TV customer service is a joke, so no help there. They just send a premade email saying check your Internet connection blah blah blah.

To give you an idea. I can literally turn a crappy VPN on and only be getting around say 25MBS opposed to my 50MBS. It doesn't even make it any worse. So basically that tells me, my Internet isn't lacking if I can handicap it by half and still stream on NHL.TV at the exact same quality.

Maybe Adobe flash player is holding me back? Anything I can try with that? As I said, I'm no expert but I do know my way around a computer. With the experience I do have, I'm pretty certain neither my computer or Internet is at fault for holding me back. Maybe something like Adobe, or just using a web browser in general, I don't know.

It is very frustrating though. Each year I get all fired up over it once or twice and try adjusting things to finally give up and just hope that maybe next year NHL.TV will offer a quality product. Getting tired of hoping for better results next year though.

Last edited:

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
NHL.TV claims 60 fps. Not sure what I'm actually getting. It doesn't freeze at all, if I hit fast forward or reverse it responds instantly. I literally can randomly click wherever on the game timeline none stop and it just transitions flawlessly. But it does seem like its not getting enough frames. It gives me a headache sometimes. NHL.TV doesn't offer much for adjustments, all they offer is a high, medium and low setting. I aways run it on high.

I don't have access to another streaming device, so can't really try that unless I went out and bought something.

I tried playing with my graphics card settings, made sure triple buffering is on and pre-rendered frames is set at 4. Hell, I can run on my integrated graphics card at the same quality as my GTX 1050TI on NHL.TV. My GPU load is only at around 12% on average streaming a game.

No idea what else I can do.

NHL.TV customer service is a joke, so no help there. They just send a premade email saying check your Internet connection blah blah blah.

To give you an idea. I can literally turn a crappy VPN on and only be getting around say 25MBS opposed to my 50MBS. It doesn't even make it any worse. So basically that tells me, my Internet isn't lacking if I can handicap it by half and still stream on NHL.TV at the exact same quality.

Maybe Adobe flash player is holding me back? Anything I can try with that? As I said, I'm no expert but I do know my way around a computer. With the experience I do have, I'm pretty certain neither my computer or Internet is at fault for holding me back. Maybe something like Adobe, or just using a web browser in general, I don't know.

It is very frustrating though. Each year I get all fired up over it once or twice and try adjusting things to finally give up and just hope that maybe next year NHL.TV will offer a quality product. Getting tired of hoping for better results next year though.
Let me preface this by saying, if the problem is indeed a lower framerate that is making the viewing experience below par, then its likely the NHL.TV media player being the issue and not the browser you use. The video player itself may not be specifically suited to 60 fps for internet browsers like say youtube is. I did a quick search and came across a few Reddit pages where people suggested using a Chromecast to get 60 fps for a smoother experience. Seeing as I always use a Chromecast myself, I did a test to see which had the better experience and the Chromecast did look smoother in comparison to the browser from the same streaming service. So maybe that might be the issue, however the only reason why I wouldn't necessarily recommend to you to get a chromecast is that, I'm not 100% sure that's the problem and I don't want you to spend money if you don't have to. The only thing I can say is if possible, borrow one from a friend. Sorry if I'm not much help, this is really all I can think of.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Let me preface this by saying, if the problem is indeed a lower framerate that is making the viewing experience below par, then its likely the NHL.TV media player being the issue and not the browser you use. The video player itself may not be specifically suited to 60 fps for internet browsers like say youtube is. I did a quick search and came across a few Reddit pages where people suggested using a Chromecast to get 60 fps for a smoother experience. Seeing as I always use a Chromecast myself, I did a test to see which had the better experience and the Chromecast did look smoother in comparison to the browser from the same streaming service. So maybe that might be the issue, however the only reason why I wouldn't necessarily recommend to you to get a chromecast is that, I'm not 100% sure that's the problem and I don't want you to spend money if you don't have to. The only thing I can say is if possible, borrow one from a friend. Sorry if I'm not much help, this is really all I can think of.

I'm going to pick up a PS4 right now and try that I guess. We planned on getting Playstation Vue since we dropped Cable TV anyway, so might as well just pull the trigger. Plus it gives me another reason to get it so I can play some EA NHL for the first time in like 5 years. :D

If a PS4 can't stream it good I guess I'm just out of luck lol. Will update and let you know if it resolves my issues.

Reactions: KuleminFan41

RobRayzor

Jun 23, 2016
Helsinki
Not sure if this was already mentioned, but why in the hell they ask you to pay for condensed games on the app but you can watch them freely on their YT channel? I don’t get it...

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Anybody update their NHL mobile app today and get the picture in picture function to work on your phone? Doesn't work for me.

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin

Anyone have any ideas?

A little bit late, but I have the same problem when I stream through any browser. If I use the apps for fire stick or ios it works fine.

I believe that the choppiness is the page reloading something in the background. I will occasionally see the little white bar at the bottom of the screen with a url but it goes away before I can make it out. If anyone knows of a way to have NHL.TV stop background refreshing, please share.

Waltered

Nov 12, 2011
The Valley
A little bit late, but I have the same problem when I stream through any browser. If I use the apps for fire stick or ios it works fine.

I believe that the choppiness is the page reloading something in the background. I will occasionally see the little white bar at the bottom of the screen with a url but it goes away before I can make it out. If anyone knows of a way to have NHL.TV stop background refreshing, please share.

I had the same issues a couple of years ago, so I grabbed Kodi and the NHL video add on - works great and takes the browser issues out of the equation.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I had the same issues a couple of years ago, so I grabbed Kodi and the NHL video add on - works great and takes the browser issues out of the equation.

This does seem to resolve the issue. The only thing is that I find the usability of NHL.TV on Kodi a bit annoying, but that may be due to my lack of experience using it.

Thanks!

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I have a question about the NHL app (& NHL.tv) on fire stick, are you able to watch games live? By the look of it you can only watch when they are made available the next day as it shows "12:00 am friday" as the start time for all of the 4:00 pm PST games this afternoon.

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
I have a question about the NHL app (& NHL.tv) on fire stick, are you able to watch games live? By the look of it you can only watch when they are made available the next day as it shows "12:00 am friday" as the start time for all of the 4:00 pm PST games this afternoon.
You can watch live on the firestick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad