NHL.TV / Center Ice Discussion - Part III [See the warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this question...I had SiriusXM satellite radio a few years ago and one of the features I liked was the live broadcasts of basically every NHL game. I got a new car on Friday with a 6 month satellite radio trial, however the only game I could find was the Leafs-Rangers. This was disappointing as I assumed I would be able to listen to the Sens-Caps game during my 5 hour drive home last night. Does anyone know if SiriusXM stopped broadcasting NHL games?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this question...I had SiriusXM satellite radio a few years ago and one of the features I liked was the live broadcasts of basically every NHL game. I got a new car on Friday with a 6 month satellite radio trial, however the only game I could find was the Leafs-Rangers. This was disappointing as I assumed I would be able to listen to the Sens-Caps game during my 5 hour drive home last night. Does anyone know if SiriusXM stopped broadcasting NHL games?
I have a SiriusXM subscription and the package I have gets me the live games of the NHL so yes they are still broadcasting their games. I can't speak to how the preview works but what I noticed is one game will be broadcast on SiriusXM 91 which is the NHL channel and the other games will be on the preset stations reserved for the NHL games.

Reactions: Silencio

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't subscribe to the Rogers Game Centre Live because living in Toronto I get all Leafs games broadcast. However I was recently on vacation in Orlando, Florida and driving down I spent the night in Adairsville, Georgia on December 8th when the Leafs played the Bruins. On the NHL app I noticed their free game of the day the was Toronto vs Boston so I thought maybe I could watch it on my iPhone. When I tried to click watch it said I was not allowed, so how is that possible since as I said it was the free game of the day. If it matters I also turned on location services which they say must be done in order to watch. The only thing I was able to do no matter what games they played was listening to the radio broadcast.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I have a SiriusXM subscription and the package I have gets me the live games of the NHL so yes they are still broadcasting their games. I can't speak to how the preview works but what I noticed is one game will be broadcast on SiriusXM 91 which is the NHL channel and the other games will be on the preset stations reserved for the NHL games.

Thanks man, there were a bunch of football games last Saturday so I think a lot of the hockey got shifted over to Sirius internet channels. I will check the preset stations on my drive back tomorrow.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It is possible Rogers Game Centre Live is only available in Canada. NHL.TV everywhere else?
Last year when I was in the United States in December 2017 I was able to watch the odd Leafs game on the NHL app when it was the Rogers Game Centre Live "Free game of the day" So I don't think me not being in Canada had anything to do with it.

Tanic

Dec 28, 2003
Visit site

Even though the company SiriusXM has a merged name, they still operate two different satellite systems that require different receivers. Most of the NHL games are on the XM satellites. If you switched from a vehicle which had a native XM receiver to a new vehicle with a native Sirius receiver, that could explain why there are very few games available on your new radio. Depends on the auto manufacturer which receiver they use.

A workaround to this would be to get a streaming sub add-on which has all the games, and play the games thru your phone into the audio system.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Hi all! I live in the UK, don't have a laptop or tv, just an iPad. I have a subscription to the NHL package but when a game is aired in the UK, I get blacked out. When I had a laptop, I would just use a VPN service, but that doesn't work with apps.
Does anyone know how to change my location on an iPad without jail breaking?

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Even though the company SiriusXM has a merged name, they still operate two different satellite systems that require different receivers. Most of the NHL games are on the XM satellites. If you switched from a vehicle which had a native XM receiver to a new vehicle with a native Sirius receiver, that could explain why there are very few games available on your new radio. Depends on the auto manufacturer which receiver they use.

A workaround to this would be to get a streaming sub add-on which has all the games, and play the games thru your phone into the audio system.

Hmm good call - pretty sure I had an XM receiver on my old car, whereas my current car appears to be Sirius only. Didn't realize that the NHL broadcast channels are XM receiver specific.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Not really a comment on the service, but until I saw his name on a recent NHL.tv commercial, I always thought it was John Smoltz, not Mike Rupp, that was one of the main NHL Network hosts I kept seeing on the commercials. Have no idea why I'd think John Smoltz would be a hockey analyst.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Picture quality is terrible tonight on Apple TV .

Same on my Xbox. However I'm now Chromecasting the game from my Android Tablet to my Nvidia Shield and it is a lot better but I'm pissed I lost PVR function

Edit: just as I post this the Chromecast sound goes out of sync. If I didn't have to I would not buy Gamecenter

Last edited:

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I got a Chromecast so I could easily stream at 60fps to my TV. It was great for the first month or two but in the last week it has just been trash, constantly dropping from 60 fps to 30 or less for most of the game. Oh but the ads stream flawlessly...

Delryk

Sep 17, 2007
Oh its been crap. Chromecast, X1, PS4.. all the same.. quality just gives up and need to stop the stream and restart it every 5-10mins. Ads are looking nice though. Totally them as i can stream 4k on netflix and prime no problem.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Oh its been crap. Chromecast, X1, PS4.. all the same.. quality just gives up and need to stop the stream and restart it every 5-10mins. Ads are looking nice though. Totally them as i can stream 4k on netflix and prime no problem.
Same issues here on ps4

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
Hopefully the day comes where DAZN or another streaming company buy the rights for this content. Especially in Canada, Rogers is a complete joke and same with nhl.tv. It’s time for NHL to be as accessible as the NFL or BPL in this country

Delryk

Sep 17, 2007
The stream was awesome last night (finally) the whole Leafs game.. maybe they fixed something on their end...

Guess we'll see how the stream is tonight

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Apparently this weekend NBC is doing a regional coverage Saturday Night game. Does anyone know if NHL.TV subscribers will get the game that is not on locally? I guess for me that would be the Lightning game, since we get Chicago/Minnesota locally. I would rather see the Lightning game. I know for Baseball any game that is not on the Fox local telecast gets to be on MLB.TV so I wonder if it's the same kind of deal for NHL.TV.

Also, I really wish they updated significantly NHL.TV in the offseason. It's kind of static at the moment.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
NHL Center Ice has to be one of the most customer-hostile products that exists.

I am somehow blacked out of a “national game” that I don’t get. Last I checked, Chicago was in the United States and yet, this “national game” is nowhere to be found in my TV guide.

As a NYR fan I probably get 65/82nds of the same product that a Panthers fan gets. It’s completely absurd, and I’m floored that they can legally advertise “every out of market game.”​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad