NHL, Turner Sports reach 7 year TV deal for games on TNT, TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I think Silverman could do the job, but he comes with a lot of internal politics wherever he is at (he never lasts long). I think Adnan Virk could do the job as well. Honestly the right answer is probably throw money at Duthie to bring him south.

Doesn't seem like this has been discussed (please correct me if I'm wrong!). Pure speculation, of course, but interesting nonetheless. For those unaware, this guy is the Bob McKenzie of breaking sports media news in Canada.

Hmm. I have no inside knowledge. But that would be a good move.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
He wouldn’t really have to relocate, either. He could easily fly to Atlanta for the one night a week (correct?) that TNT is going to have a game and/or doubleheader.

Presumably Atlanta or NY wherever they originate the show from (both are major hubs). That is what McKenzie has done for his NBC appearances the last few years. There probably is going to be a second night (on TNT or TBS) the second half of the season given the number of games they have, but that could be a separate host.

Playoffs would be longer stays, but even then since TNT is splitting with ESPN those would be weekend trips and back home for a few days.

Reactions: Spydey629

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I can't comment on that because he's got WWE-stench for me. Not that he was bad there, in my opinion, more like not given a chance to succeed.
I love Adnan, but WWE fans are beyond toxic and there was no way they were going to let a brown guy be the voice of Raw for long.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I have zero doubt. The guy was treated like absolute shit on social media, the new guy isn't much better and he doesn't get a fraction of the hate.
Well he’s also been better at it. But everyone in WWE gets treated like shit on social media. It was more a matter of both sides deciding that it wasn’t a good fit because it wasn’t.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
When Turner will announce a broadcaster team?

They have already announced Albert and Olczyk, who were included in the Gretzky announcement. I’m not sure if Pang was officially announced but he has talked about it on social. So that is you lead game broadcasters.

Keith Jones and Anson Carter have been reported but not announced. I’m guessing we will get an official announcement when the broadcast schedule comes out. That usually happens in August.

Reactions: Jokerit 16

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
f*** that it is, you see it in hockey too. Whenever Singh does a game he gets raked across the coals even though he's better than many of the PbP guys out there. The only ridiculous comment is denying that PoC are treated differently than their white counterparts.

A completely ridiculous claim, followed by victim noises.

Nobody cares who the announcer of RAW is, much less cares about his skin colour. I don’t watch WWE, but it looks like half their roster is “brown”, including both of their main champions.

From what I’ve read, Virk wanted out and it was a mutual parting of the ways. He reportedly didn’t even watch wrestling prior to being hired. Not his fault completely, as he was put in a bad spot.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A completely ridiculous claim, followed by victim noises.

Nobody cares who the announcer of RAW is, much less cares about his skin colour. I don’t watch WWE, but it looks like half their roster is “brown”, including both of their main champions.

From what I’ve read, Virk wanted out and it was a mutual parting of the ways. He reportedly didn’t even watch wrestling prior to being hired. Not his fault completely, as he was put in a bad spot.
Continue being part of the problem

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Your mentality is the entire problem.
You are literally denying something is happening despite admitting you pay no attention to it. Virk got an unprecedented amount of hate from that fan base, he asked to leave because of it and took the high road when he did. Then you go and defend them by claiming the champions are brown, one of whom is Black, the other Samoan, while ignoring the hate people of Middle Eastern decent get, Jinder Mahal got an unprecedented amount of hate as Champion too; is exactly why you are are part of the f***ing problem, different racial groups get treated differently. You are literally defending racism, while showing you aren't much different.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Looking more and more like the NHL on NBC on TNT. Well at the very least we will see how much of the formats are producer driven than talent driven.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ

Looking more and more like the NHL on NBC on TNT. Well at the very least we will see how much of the formats are producer driven than talent driven.

On a unrelated note, this makes me believe that Maria Taylor is likely headed to NBC to take McHugh roles on SNF and Notre Dame Football if this comes to pass

Reactions: jkrdevil and Fenway

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
On a unrelated note, this makes me believe that Maria Taylor is likely headed to NBC to take McHugh roles on SNF and Notre Dame Football if this comes to pass

Maybe not. Edzo went to Turner because he could still work horse racing for NBC.

McHugh could be getting the same deal. Fall weekends with NBC. Weeknights and the spring with Turner.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Maybe not. Edzo went to Turner because he could still work horse racing for NBC.

McHugh could be getting the same deal. Fall weekends with NBC. Weeknights and the spring with Turner.

The difference is McHugh isn’t a hockey specific type of talent. To me if he’s in the running for this type of role, his NBC deal is ending soon and he’s free to go to Turner. I don’t see NBC letting him do this and doing his NBC obligations.

Reactions: Spydey629

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The difference is McHugh isn’t a hockey specific type of talent. To me if he’s in the running for this type of role, his NBC deal is ending soon and he’s free to go to Turner. I don’t see NBC letting him do this and doing his NBC obligations.

Yes, the Taylor to NBC rumors Marchand wrote about struck me as odd because there isn’t a current position there. Sunday Night Football’s pre-game already has too many host between Tirico, McHugh and even when they bring Collinsworth kid in. Tirico replaces Michaels as play by play after this year and you really don’t have to fill that new open role. But if McHugh’s contract is up and they want to bring in a “bigger name” then it makes sense. Same for him moving to Turner.

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
You are literally denying something is happening despite admitting you pay no attention to it. Virk got an unprecedented amount of hate from that fan base, he asked to leave because of it and took the high road when he did. Then you go and defend them by claiming the champions are brown, one of whom is Black, the other Samoan, while ignoring the hate people of Middle Eastern decent get, Jinder Mahal got an unprecedented amount of hate as Champion too; is exactly why you are are part of the f***ing problem, different racial groups get treated differently. You are literally defending racism, while showing you aren't much different.

Give it a rest with the victim noises and race-baiting. It’s ridiculous. Wrestling fans want their champions to be brown, but not the announcer?! That’s your argument? Nobody on earth cares who the announcer is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad