NHL, Turner Sports reach 7 year TV deal for games on TNT, TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Also ESPN has rights to the Sun Belt Championship game and MAC championship games, so one of those is the ESPN2 slot.

I did a bit of research on this, Sun Belt is scheduled for ESPN on the 4th, while MAC is TBA . But back in 2019, both games were at noon with the Sun Belt on ESPN and MAC on ESPN2. So I think Fenway might be right that Hawks/Rangers might be an ESPN game if not ESPN+

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
The 75 ESPN+ games are the joker in the deck and are certain to have many rival games to boost sales.

There will be major growing pains especially with sports bars dealing with streaming.

I have a feeling that except in the occasional special case, the simple solution for these sports bars will be to simply not bother to show these games. It would have to be the kind of sports bar where hockey is a big deal or soccer is; until more prominent football games are moved to ESPN+ to normalize streaming in these places, the sports relegated to the service will suffer.

This sort of just feels like the way things go for the NHL in most cases historically. The funny thing is that this only happened after NBCSN become more of a normalized feature in sports bars. Now the sport goes back to ESPN for the money and name recognition or whatever and ends up becoming a playoff sport only.

Thank goodness for Turner Sports, I guess! Which feels relevant to point out considering the thread we're in.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I have a feeling that except in the occasional special case, the simple solution for these sports bars will be to simply not bother to show these games. It would have to be the kind of sports bar where hockey is a big deal or soccer is; until more prominent football games are moved to ESPN+ to normalize streaming in these places, the sports relegated to the service will suffer.

This sort of just feels like the way things go for the NHL in most cases historically. The funny thing is that this only happened after NBCSN become more of a normalized feature in sports bars. Now the sport goes back to ESPN for the money and name recognition or whatever and ends up becoming a playoff sport only.

Thank goodness for Turner Sports, I guess! Which feels relevant to point out considering the thread we're in.

It's a risk for a potential reward with younger viewers who, overall, like to consume things online. I have a feeling that through this transition ESPN may pick up some ESPN plus exclusive games and simulcast them on ESPN 2 in the upcoming years.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Heritage Classic announced today for Sunday, March 13 at 3pm. TNT will air it (it’s the Sunday before March Madness).

So Turner gets all the outdoor games this year. Winter Classic, Stadium Series and Heritage Classic.

Interestingly enough I believe TBS has the NCAA selection show this year or that day at 6pm as they have the Final Four.

Last edited:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Turner’s schedule is out. Only 50 games, when the original press release said 72 games. Though again my guess for year 1 the schedule was made with the thinking NBC would keep the rights (this is pretty much what we expected an NBC deal to look like). They may have more games in future years.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Turner’s schedule is out. Only 50 games, when the original press release said 72 games. Though again my guess for year 1 the schedule was made with the thinking NBC would keep the rights (this is pretty much what we expected an NBC deal to look like). They may have more games in future years.

I am wondering if the AEW contract is hampering the schedule. All of the first half single games are 10PM starts, after wrestling.

They shoe horned in what they could this year, for Wednesday night double headers in the spring of 2022, and the rest of the contract going forward?

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Winter Classic time being TBA is interesting. I suspect it won’t be at the usual 1 pm ET time slot. That’s too competitive with 3 bowl games on ESPN and 2/ABC. I’m guessing 3:30 pm ET or 7 pm ET where it’s either before Rose Bowl or before Sugar Bowl

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
I am wondering if the AEW contract is hampering the schedule. All of the first half single games are 10PM starts, after wrestling.

They shoe horned in what they could this year, for Wednesday night double headers in the spring of 2022, and the rest of the contract going forward?
I know nothing about this AEW wrasslin, but apparently it's white hot right now. So it should provide a decent lead in for those 10pm starts.

Who would've thought Edmonton would have the most appearances on TNT?

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Absolutely AEW had an effect (For the most part the early evening games that would have been selected are there). There are 10 weeks of no double headers. Full double headers next year that brings the number 60. Maybe do double headers on the Sundays as well and that brings the number 67, four short of the original announcement (which I'm sure they can figure out a way to fill in).

My guess the league and NBC were negotiating at the 50-60 game number for USA, but Turner wanted more games for more money. But since schedules take time to develop that had to wait until next year. Wouldn't be surprised to find out this year on the deal is out a discount compared to the other years.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

I like TNT schedule a lot, AEW has over a million viewers last weeks so it shoult be a good lead in for those 10 pm games.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Winter Classic time being TBA is interesting. I suspect it won’t be at the usual 1 pm ET time slot. That’s too competitive with 3 bowl games on ESPN and 2/ABC. I’m guessing 3:30 pm ET or 7 pm ET where it’s either before Rose Bowl or before Sugar Bowl

There are a ton of U.S NHL games schedule at 1 and 2 pm that day and then no other games except the hockey night in Canada games the rest of the day (and the 7pm is An all Canadian Leafs-Sens game). So I think we can safely say it won’t be at 1 pm anymore.

I do wonder what the future of the Winter Classic on New Years is after this year. The college football playoff might expand to take up the entire day, and they now have a rights holder that isn’t necessarily locked in to counter programming the Bowls. I think it will stay within the holiday season, but I can see them eventually moving it to the nearest Saturday to New Years permanently.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
There are a ton of U.S NHL games schedule at 1 and 2 pm that day and then no other games except the hockey night in Canada games the rest of the day (and the 7pm is An all Canadian Leafs-Sens game). So I think we can safely say it won’t be at 1 pm anymore.

I do wonder what the future of the Winter Classic on New Years is after this year. The college football playoff might expand to take up the entire day, and they now have a rights holder that isn’t necessarily locked in to counter programming the Bowls. I think it will stay within the holiday season, but I can see them eventually moving it to the nearest Saturday to New Years permanently.

Yea I wonder it too, I would do Christmas Eve either at 3:30 pm ET or 7 pm ET (obviously not likely unless PA would agree to that through the CBA), but I think that’s as exclusive day you can have. But, the Saturday after New Years is more likely that I agree. I don’t think New Year’s Day fits as the day of Winter Classic anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad