NHL, Turner Sports reach 7 year TV deal for games on TNT, TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
Moving to TBS January
That’s funny. Before the NHL and Turner had agreed on the B package, all the wrasslin fans would seethe when I said that Wednesday nights on TNT would be perfect for the NHL. They would just scream about ratings, demos, etc. Guess they were wrong lol

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I know the NHL didn't get the money they wanted from these deals pre-covid but this was a great move. I'm hearing from some of my friends in the states that aren't big hockey fans talk hockey. The exposure is real.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
I wonder if TNT will air a condensed replay game at 3 am or 4 am eastern time like it does for some or most of their NBA games from earlier in the evening? That's something NBCSN never did, and could/should have done! Otherwise, I generally liked NBC/NBCSN coverage, unlike some or most fans who've responded on HFBoards.

It would be nice if during doubleheaders if the second game could start at 9:45 pm eastern time or so vs. 9:30 pm so viewers don't miss the first part of the second game.

But I do realize that's asking a lot of the paying fans in the arena, on a weeknight no less, So probably will be like NBCSN did, even in the playoffs, and switch to the late game already in progress.

Will Seattle automatically get a lot of those late games no matter their success during this tv contract? Maybe not, as it's the pacific time zone, and the games would have to start at 6:30 pm or so Seattle time -- or maybe tv will dictate, and Seattle fans will have to endure an occasional 6:30 pm start on those TNT doubleheader nights. Some Seattle fans would prefer the earlier start, others not?

I wonder if the Canadian teams will get more games than expected vs. NBCSN? Edmonton with its stars could provide games for the late doubleheader -- or TNT won't touch a Canadian market if it doesn't have to, and just show Arizona, Colorado and Vegas instead? And I think Phoenix is two hours behind the eastern time zone during most of the hockey season -- but in the playoffs and now, it's three hours behind the eastern time zone?

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Random Olympic Opening Ceremony thought... Edzo's Turner contract lets him keep doing horse racing on NBC. Am I crazy to presume it also keeps him as NBC's Olympic Hockey analyst?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Random Olympic Opening Ceremony thought... Edzo's Turner contract lets him keep doing horse racing on NBC. Am I crazy to presume it also keeps him as NBC's Olympic Hockey analyst?

Most likely if the NHL breaks and goes. Turner has typically allowed their talent to be loaned to NBC for the Olympics. Some of their studio talent is working the summer games for NBC now (Matt Winer is most notable off the top of my head. So I expect Kenny Albert and Eddie O. calling the games (if Eddie wants to travel to China).

Reactions: Spydey629

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
That’s funny. Before the NHL and Turner had agreed on the B package, all the wrasslin fans would seethe when I said that Wednesday nights on TNT would be perfect for the NHL. They would just scream about ratings, demos, etc. Guess they were wrong lol

They got paid an eight figure increase to move to TBS since they had rights to the night and the idea is that they won't be pre-empted on TBS like they were on TNT. The whole reason AEW is doing some major signings new is due to the money they got to move stations but stay the same night. TBS is also in more homes than TNT.

Ringmaster

Oct 8, 2010
Santa Monica California
They got paid an eight figure increase to move to TBS since they had rights to the night and the idea is that they won't be pre-empted on TBS like they were on TNT. The whole reason AEW is doing some major signings new is due to the money they got to move stations but stay the same night. TBS is also in more homes than TNT.

Can't wait to CM Punk in the United Center. 8 figures? Wow. AEW is edgy fits more with TNT than TBS brand but we shall see

What does TNT have for Fridays? They could have had Rampage on TNT

Jokerit 16

Feb 8, 2018
Finland
What kind of promotion could TNT offer to the league?

Are they goin to crosspromote they properties NHL? They pay 225 $ million for rights per a year. What about studio shows about NHL storytelling?

Lee Sharpe

Nov 7, 2020
What kind of promotion could TNT offer to the league?

Are they goin to crosspromote they properties NHL? They pay 225 $ million for rights per a year. What about studio shows about NHL storytelling?

I think they are going to promote the league. The key thing is studio shows off the ice. To get non hockey fans get interested on game.

Also adding Charles Barkley to NHL studio team would be great move for Turner sports. He is a huge hockey fan. Likes NHL playoffs etc..

thougts?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Can't wait to CM Punk in the United Center. 8 figures? Wow. AEW is edgy fits more with TNT than TBS brand but we shall see.

They could have some NBA/NHL particularly in the playoffs. They moved AEW to TBS to avoid all the pre-empts. AEW ratings took a nose dive when ppl couldn't find what time it was on during the NBA playoffs.

What does TNT have for Fridays? They could have had Rampage on TNT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->