NHL, Turner Sports reach 7 year TV deal for games on TNT, TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I don’t mind Jones if he and Pang are the B analysts or if Pang is in studio. I think Jones is boring and bland in studio. I hope Anson Carter or Kevin Weekes get a role, both a good, engaging personalities that would fit if Turner wants to do a Inside the NBA type of show for their NHL coverage

Carter would be good, though I actually like him better as a game analyst than a studio the few times I’ve heard him work a game. I don’t like Weekes as a broadcaster. He comes off like a Jr. version of Pierre where he doesn’t let things breaths and just talks and talks.

Surprised to hear about Jones, I though he would be one of the odd people out for the reasons you describe. I thought Pang might be one to go back to ESPN as he did the World Cup for them.

That said probably shouldn’t be a surprised that Turner is going to have a very NBC feeling given the head of Turner is the former CEO of NBC.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Carter would be good, though I actually like him better as a game analyst than a studio the few times I’ve heard him work a game. I don’t like Weekes as a broadcaster. He comes off like a Jr. version of Pierre where he doesn’t let things breaths and just talks and talks.

Surprised to hear about Jones, I though he would be one of the odd people out for the reasons you describe. I thought Pang might be one to go back to ESPN as he did the World Cup for them.

That said probably shouldn’t be a surprised that Turner is going to have a very NBC feeling given the head of Turner is the former CEO of NBC.

That is a good point, should’ve taken that into account and definitely makes you wonder if Comcast-WarnerMedia merger had happened like rumored before Discovery came into the picture.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
That is a good point, should’ve taken that into account and definitely makes you wonder if Comcast-WarnerMedia merger had happened like rumored before Discovery came into the picture.

Well Jeff Zucker isn’t at the level the Warner meger talks were (and he was forced out of NBC by Comcast upon that merger). He right now is running CNN and the Turner Sports properties. He was scheduled to leave the company at the end of the year, but it looks like he may stay with Doscovery’s management taking over.

Reactions: DaBadGuy7

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The more I think about the studios for both ESPN and Turner, the critical pick will be the host. If you get someone who can ask pointed, sometimes difficult questions to the analyst and even push back against their points, then you may have an interesting show. If it someone who throws up empty questions then you will have a cliche fest.

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021
I actually like Keith Jones in studio.

Looking forward to hearing Gretzky talk about every player being the best player he’s ever seen.
I'm hoping they pair him up with a Don Cherry type.

He needs to be presented as the straightman to some hyperbolic type.

Maybe get someone like Terry Crews to talk nonsense.

"Well actually Terry".

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
The more I think about the studios for both ESPN and Turner, the critical pick will be the host. If you get someone who can ask pointed, sometimes difficult questions to the analyst and even push back against their points, then you may have an interesting show. If it someone who throws up empty questions then you will have a cliche fest.
Basically we need the hockey version of Ernie Johnson

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
After watching the VGK/Avs series, it's amazing how unbelievably biased Boucher is. I normally never saw it as a neutral fan and he does majority of the Eastern opponents, but he's had a hard-on for Vegas the entire series and it's seriously an eye shocker for me. He is absolutely terrible, sucks he got another contract.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I like Carter. Assuming probably a studio role, but I would like to see him as a game analyst. I think he would good at the between the benches stuff based on the limited game commentary I’ve seen him do for NBC.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
Is Liam McHugh staying at NBC?

I think he does a solid job.

And I haven't heard anything about Sean McDonough joining the NHL telecasts.. Didn't some believe he was a good candidate?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Is Liam McHugh staying at NBC?

Most likely. He isn’t a “sport specific” talent so he is probably still under contract. Plus he host part of NBC Sunday Night Football pre-game show (and will likely see a bigger role starting next year when it appears Tirico will take over pxp full time) so I can’t imagine he would leave that gig.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Hockey version of Ernie Johnson is James Duthie.

I'm surprised more TSN guys aren't being signed by TNT or ESPN.
I think I'm one of the only Canadians who absolutely hates our sports anchors/analysts. It's the same old cookie cutter presentations and cliches in their analysis. Bieksa is definitely different but his thick rural Canadian accent makes me cringe and laugh at the same time. It's almost as bad Babcock's. If you want to bring in casuals little things like the accent and delivery matter in the states. They will start thinking about Slapshot/love Guru.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
NBCSN studio is quite bland like HNIC/Rogers. Bieska is the exception. Elliotte as well as he brings the news. Most of the rest can go. The NBCSN guys that brought spice crossed the line already so are out -- Milbury (like or hate brought spice) and Roenick.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
I think I'm one of the only Canadians who absolutely hates our sports anchors/analysts. It's the same old cookie cutter presentations and cliches in their analysis. Bieksa is definitely different but his thick rural Canadian accent makes me cringe and laugh at the same time. It's almost as bad Babcock's. If you want to bring in casuals little things like the accent and delivery matter in the states. They will start thinking about Slapshot/love Guru.

What about Christine Simpson? I always thought she was good when she was on Versus here in the States.

Isn’t it about time she gets a promotion to the anchor spot?

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I don’t know if a NBC/WarnerMedia merger would go through the regulatory process. Too much overlap into what would be combining. Would have combined two giant movie studios in Universal and Warner Bros. CNN and MSNBC would be combined (although maybe that is where rumors of CNN being sold off came from).

Although the article mentions above rumors of Comcast turning its attention to CBSViacom. Can’t imagine how regulators would allow CBS and NBC to merge. Would have to be a lot of sell offs.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/23/via...-report-that-comcast-is-considering-deal.html

Comcast considering buying CBS afterall. Too bad for NBC that CBS didn't get the NHL rights at least for the SCF

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I always hated how they would schedule before the Preakness like if the NHL is going to be a good segway into horse racing. Talk about being behind the times. They should have just scheduled games later in the day or not at all.

Well, the Belmont Stakes before an Islanders home game has that good segue fit!

That is a very good comparison. Thank you for getting that. Very quick math CBS there last five years averaged 22 million viewers compared to 17 million for the two Turner megacasts. That is about 3/4th the viewership which is better than the difference between NBCSN and NBC for the finals.

I think people misinterpret TV ratings a lot. The difference between pure ratings (total viewers) is down across the board over the last 5 to 10 years, period.

The ratings are down comparing year-to-year, but the SHARE isn't down very much at all. The 17 million for the 2021 college championship game was 21% of all TVs that were on watching it, which is basically on par to what it's always been. People just consume less TV, period, or stream and cord cut more. It was still the highest rated non-football programming of the entire year.

And to Big Z's point.... being on over the air broadcast TV hardly matters that much. It used to, when TVs turned on at channel 3, and people would just press the up button until they found something they liked and stopped; and the broadcast networks were early: channels 3 to 13, while ESPN was in the 20s and RSNs were in the 50s.

But now TVs turn on to wherever they left off, and local channels are 1003 to 1013.

If people WANT TO WATCH hockey, they'll find it. The way to bring in people who aren't hockey fans is to present people who don't watch hockey with those options. ESPN/Turner are going to help with that A LOT because the NBC Sports fan base was a very niche group (basically, me: Atlantic 10 hoops, IndyCar, NHL).

Reactions: JelloPuddyPops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad