PTO: NHL Training Camp Invites and Rosters

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Waste of a PTO. Guys a loser.

Seriously when you're brought in to help Dorsett with fighting & then go to the media & say that our young guys (speaking of McCann) need to defend themselves I think it speaks to his character. Never mind the part where he was a healthy scratch vs the Rangers only to whine about it & take Virtanen's spot that night.

Clearly you're too bitter to understand that there is no wasting a PTO on a pro hockey player. It's a camp invite, not a contract.

Mad Brills*

With the world cup taking guys for the majority of training camp and the preseason, teams needs bodies to fill the requirement of veterans in a preseason game + roster spots gone.

The leafs are missing 7 players due to the world cup in camp.

And 4 forwards.

Every year this happens.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
I don't understand why Rangers invite Lappy which has no use for them meanwhile Wiz gets a PTO with TBL. Someone is sleeping at the wheel in NY.

I loved Prust as a NYR! Rangers 4th line hasn't been the same since he and Boyle are gone.

Yup, Prust was a terrific 4th liner with the Rangers and the Habs. But you know, you can't play that kinda game for 10+ years. He was done 2 years ago. I really really liked him though

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
No harm at all in offering a PTO. PTO does not equal a contract afterall. Last year the Leafs had Setoguchi in camp, and I am not entirely sure if he still had his PTO before the Leafs plane left Nova Scotia :laugh:.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Wasted time

Ripping on a former NHL player getting a PTO is a waste of time. Teams have to dress a certain number of NHL veterans for exhibition games, adding guys like this on a PTO means they have the flexibility to use their roster guys as they see fit. They get a guy who will go out there and stand up for their rookies in an exhibition game or two if needed, nothing to get all up in arms about whatsoever.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Nouveau venu avec les Saguenéens, Ryan Verbeek ne vivra pas un, mais deux camps d'entraînement lors des prochaines semaines. L'attaquant de 20 ans a été convié au camp du Lightning de Tampa Bay le mois prochain.

«Ils ont plusieurs joueurs qui seront du tournoi de la Coupe du monde en septembre. Ils ont donc invité plus de joueurs que la normale, mais ça reste quand même une très belle opportunité», a partagé Verbeek qui a reçu la confirmation officielle lundi. Il n'en sera pas à une première expérience professionnelle puisque l'an dernier, il avait participé au camp des Sabres de Buffalo.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-quotidien...erne=cyberpresse_B13b_sports_340_section_POS2

Translation :
Chicoutimi Sags newcomer, Ryan Verbeek will have a busy schedule this fall. The 20-year old forward, who was recently acquired from the Kingston Frontenacs, will attend Tampa Bay's camp next month.

"TB has many players going to the World Cup in September so they decided to invite more players than usual. Nevertheless, it's still going to be a great opportunity" said Verbeek who received the news on Monday.

It's a second pro experience for Verbeek who participated to Buffalo's camp last season.

Verbeek will be joined by fellow Ontarian and teammate Mark Bzowey at Tampa Bay's camp.
L’Ontarien Mark Bzowey a convaincu le Lightning de Tampa Bay de lui offrir une chance de montrer ce qu’il pouvait faire avec un club professionnel. Le joueur d’Oakville, qui a obtenu quatre points en 19 rencontres avec les Sags l’an dernier, juge que ce camp sera une belle opportunité pour lui. «J’ai travaillé fort tout l’été!», a-t-il commenté.
http://www.tvasports.ca/2016/08/22/jaimerais-gagner-quelque-chose-ici--julio-billia-1

The diminutive forward combined for 6 points in 27 games between Kitchener and Chicoutimi last season.

Last edited:

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Caley, are you surprised no camp roster yet? I know camps are one week later but last year I looked the first one was out Aug 6th!

Yeah, I'm kinda staggered that there hasn't even been one rookie roster released yet. Unless, teams didn't want to have it upstaged by the Olympics, I'm honestly baffled.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Wasted time

Well not really, because worst case management gets to see how the young players handle playing with and against players like Prust, best case he makes the team and does well (which isn't out of the question, look at Stempniak...or more relate-able, Scottie Upshall)

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Well not really, because worst case management gets to see how the young players handle playing with and against players like Prust, best case he makes the team and does well (which isn't out of the question, look at Stempniak...or more relate-able, Scottie Upshall)

I'm afraid Brandon Prust's get up and go has got up and went.

But he does fill out a mean sweater!

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
FIRST!

EDIT:

Haydn Fleury
Aleksi Saarela
Jake Bean
Warren Foegele
Josh Wesley
Valentin Zykov
Julien Gauthier
Hudson Elynuik
Roland McKeown
Andrew Poturalski
Nicolas Roy
Janne Kuokkanen
Sergey Tolchinsky
Alex Peters
Clark Bishop
Lucas Wallmark
Spencer Smallman
Steven Lorentz
Mike Ferrantino
Noah Carroll
Ben Gleason

Alex Nedeljkovic
Jeremy Helvig
Callum Booth

Peters, Ferrantino and Gleason are your invites.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Minutes after it has been announced that Jay Bouwmeester won't be attending camp (World Cup).

Find it funny that guys like Weber who are dealt for a pick can't get work the next year

Guys like spaling , shepherd , etc had some value to a team them next year pto or Europe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad