Post-Game Talk: Could've been worse. Leafs go down 3-1 in the game and the series.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
There coach Q, Berube and Julian. All great coaches. Fire Keefe and and bring the right guy out of those three for team.
There are lots of actual NHL coaches.

I guess any NHL coach on a short deal is better than Keefe.

Keefe did not prepare the team for the playoffs. He needs to go.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
There coach Q, Berube and Julian. All great coaches. Fire Keefe and and bring the right guy out of those three for team.

Roster overall also over due.

What makes Berube a good coach?

I don't care if Keefe stays or goes, but why are we hiring worse coaches?

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
lol are you f*ing delirious

on what planet in the entire universe do they make it to game 7 let alone game 6?

this is the official worst playoff performance i've seen them play since they've been back in the post season since what... 2012 or whatever it was when boston shelled them in game 7.. prior to that they were out of the playoffs what, a decade or something?

in this day and age this has got to be the worst f*ing franchise in all of pro sports when it comes to anything really... what other team has completely disintigrated like this one for the last 20 years?

MLB..NFL...NBA... what other team has been this sort of disgrace in the last 2 full decades?

Just saying they did it in 2013 and 2018. This team has a way of teasing us before pulling the rug in game 7's.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
From the predictions I saw, Leafs were slight favorites as most cited the loss of talent in Boston along with the added "grit" from the Leafs additions.

Also many mentioned this is finally the year after they won a round last season.

Either way, Leafs have no excuses for not beating Boston this season.
That's just unrealistic Leaf media hog wash. Vegas always has the Leafs as Stanley Cup favorites at the start of the season or whatever. Sift through the bias media and be a bit more realistic.

The Leafs have never proven that they could win when it mattered and you think the addition of Edmunson and Lebushkin was going to be what finally convinces our core 4 to get their noses' bloody and have us go deep was going to be the difference maker?

From all the previews and media I've seen regarding this series, the Leafs were the underdog and should be in any games that matter until further notice.

Reactions: seventieslord

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Our salary structure is extremely flawed. Over $40Mill spend on forwards and they can't produce in the playoffs 8 years running. Everyone advocating building from the net out was right. The question now is what to do since you can't trade any of the core 4 to get that stud goalie or defenceman.
This is why Kyle's idea was flawed right from day 1. With the stars and scrubs methodology, we have no one that can actually trade for help. There is hardly any middle ground. Either you're trying to trade an 11mil player. Or a 2 mil player. There's not much in between. That means you have to pull from whatever prospects and picks you have.

When you lose a star to injury, or they are not performing, you have 11mil (or in our case 40mil) that isn't helping. We're generally playing with a cap of about 45 mil in the playoffs

Kyle's ideology was/is so far removed from reality, it is mind blowing.

I hope to God he releases a book at some point. It will be a fascinating read. He has the ego for it.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
What a complete and utter JOKE of a team effort last night Keefer .. now you are BSing us .. I hope u r fired today and we try something different for Tuesday night .. Shanny u r next my friend .. axe Keefer today .. switching tenders won't change anything here .. anyone else would help .. at least we could drop into a prevent defense and play for a 0-0 game and wait for a break .. what we r doing now has ZERO chance for success .. worst coaching display EVER .. worst team effort I have seen from this pathetic collection of individuals .. take ur 2nd best 4th line and just kill it completely putting a useless Robertson on its wing OMG that alone deserves a firing .. Dewar was playing well and you take him out OMG ur are a very stupid man .. and ur now an embarrassment to our crest by lying to us .. or maybe ur are even more dense than I thought .. time for firing action now

Shanny take over bench ur self .. drop Brodie into da abiss .. insert Gio asap .. play a high and hard game up da glass and ice puck .. use Rielly only in offensive zone faceoffs .. and then have him exit to bench asap .. Rielly is playing a completely useless game .. since his suspension he has been our worst defender (next to Brodie and lily) .. basically go 4 D and dump puck all da time .. it will be crappy hockey but our wingers are next to useless on da walls .. and our Cs can't handle da overload

Upfront put JT on 3rd line LW asap .. use Mitch as 3rd line C with anyone really and play them once or twice a period max .. tell Willy to hang out on blue line and start throwing high bombs up to him .. he might beat some D once and score .. pretty much our only chance to get 1 goal i think .. give Bert Domi and Matty 50% of ice time and tell them this is it .. press score and fight .. if they don't get 2 goals we lose pretty simple .. lay it out there for 3 of them .. tell Reavo it is time to destroy someone early in game .. look for fights early .. and then demolish whoever takes da challenge
Completely agree with you.

Has a coach ever been fired mid playoffs before?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
This is why Kyle's idea was flawed right from day 1. With the stars and scrubs methodology, we have no one that can actually trade for help. There is hardly any middle ground. Either you're trying to trade an 11mil player. Or a 2 mil player. There's not much in between. That means you have to pull from whatever prospects and picks you have.

When you lose a star to injury, or they are not performing, you have 11mil (or in our case 40mil) that isn't helping. We're generally playing with a cap of about 45 mil in the playoffs

I hope to God he releases a book at some point. It will be a fascinating read. He has the ego for it.

Getting Tavares single handily handcuffed this team for years.
Not to mention easy contracts for unproven stars

Oh yes, Sheldon Keefe. Fastest coach to 100 wins
He stuck with this guy after Montreal and Zamboni driver defacole

Can't wait to see Keefe with the Penguins

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Zack47

Oct 21, 2017
Groundhog Day ---- There I was, somehow in front of the TV set, wondering -- how did i get here? I knew all season this would happen, and yet somehow, that 5% hope pulled me in. But I always end up feeling like an idiot. Why would things change this year?

There they are -- skating around in circles, no doubt trying hard, Keefe looking lost behind the bench, yet another problem goalie, why am I watching this?

You can't argue with math. You can't bend it and shape it to make a point. Fundamentally: because of what i do, I know about "income inequality" measures, so I calculated one for all NHL teams this year. This is the ratio of the top four salaries to the bottom four. Toronto had the highest ratio, by a considerable margin. It is a bit misleading, because all teams have 3-4 players on minimum salaries. So instead, I calculated the top 4 to middle range ratio, and of course, Toronto was the worst again. Meaning: Toronto does not have the money to pay third line players, defenseman, and goalies that are good enough. You can pay some -- like Bertuzzi --- but you are going to run out of money.

Coaching matters, but the collective greed at the top is the problem and there is no way around it. Hyman is gone, Kadri is gone, people traded away that became top players elsewhere. People like Kampf, Holmberg, Lillegren, remain because it is what we can afford.

It's hopeless....

Reactions: andora

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

I think Dubas and Shanny thought that since most teams that win a cup have 2 stars (Kane and Toews...Crosby and Malkin) that if we had 4 stars along with some scrubs we would win even quicker. Where he messed up is realizing all the role players that weren't just making the minimum or 2M had a bigger impact. He saw the stars scoring and producing but failed to see how they were doing it because they had good support. In summary....he built his house from the top down instead of the ground up and Shanny was along for the ride letting him do it.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The most Leafy thing to do will be win game 5, then come home for game 6 and stink the joint out as they have done for games 3 and 4.

The people I feel for are the ones who paid top dollar for games 3 and 4.
Its all part of the real problem. Leaf fans are willing to pay for contempt and abuse. The truth is no one cares about them until they leave. Dont worry we will win a cup, we were told. Total b.s this team isnt getting anywhere near a cup and the truth they have peaked. This team will decline now and with those huge pay checks many players have no incentive to win. This is a far worse(less talented) version of the Bruins than years past showing the Leafs are regressing. They need to convince Tavares to retire and Marner needs to waive his NMC. Paying 4 guys that kind of money for those kind of results, they arent even fun to watch. Its like watching a tire slowly go flat over and over.

Kinda crazy how much my mind has already shifted to the offseason and changes.

What a waste of a year this was and it could get worse.
You can sell Leaf fans anything. They will pay for it and believe in pink elephants.This season was a disgrace. Re hiring Keefe was dumb and offering Samsonov was even dumber. No one will pay Samsonov $3.5 Million next year and Keefe will never be an NHL coach again. Anyone could see it but the Leafs choose to gamble and sell false hopium. Just one more time?! Why? No one will care next year, I sense a major change in Leaf fans attitude is coming after decades of neglect and abuse. They wont be interested in reg season and they no longer believe in this team..period. No amount of lipstick on that pig will fly anymore. This team is weak and has no desire to pay the price.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Yeah we pushed it to game 7....and then lose in the most embarrassing fashion in all of sport?

Bringing up 2013 is no solace.
Well, that was a flawed group, to say the least, and likely wouldn't have made the playoffs in a full season.

But its relevancy to this group is a reach.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
The leafs are going to get everyone hopes up and win game 5 and 6 just to lose game 7 embarrassingly. Respect to everyone who has hope but after 8 years I am not believing in them coming back. I’ll cheer them on and watch but very skeptical.

No this does not make me any less of a leaf fan than someone who just constantly positive and believes they can do everything. 8 years of the same end result just destroys your faith in the team.
I think we are all a little jaded by this point.

I still want them to come back and win as well, but I seriously doubt it happens.

Who knows. Maybe Woll can figure something out, and the core wakes up.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

Im not sure who is stupider , Dubas ,who blew the perfect build or the Toronto media. Marner is toast in Toronto, you can feel it coming. Keefe and Samsonov soon wont even be in the NHL ever again. The whole model is based on the top 4 producing 2 to 3 goals a game and they get 1. You build from the back end out, the Leafs choose to be avante garde and try a new nhl 2024 video fantasy concept. It flopped for several years running. They once asked Don Cherry what is the prime age for forwards, he said 25. Guess what, this team is never getting better with this misguided top 4 because none of them play a playoff hockey style and we have no back up(secondary scoring). Our defense is bottom third and we have no proven goalie and a coach who has never won much in the NHL. This shouldnt be acceptable yet it is. Its a sure sign of a loser organization when all you get is excuses and the same product every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad