NHL to Seattle Volume XVI - It's Official. Seattle to join the league for 21-22 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Two things:

1. If Arizona moves to the central, all their home games start at 6 PM whether they like it or not, unless they're playing Colorado or Pacific teams.
2. Seattle's colours should for sure be Green and White, maybe dark green as a third colour or yellow even.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Two things:

1. If Arizona moves to the central, all their home games start at 6 PM whether they like it or not, unless they're playing Colorado or Pacific teams.
2. Seattle's colours should for sure be Green and White, maybe dark green as a third colour or yellow even.

Green and yellow combo isn't going to happen thats NBA sonics colors that being reserved for when the NBA returns to Seattle.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Two things:

Nope. That will not work for weekdays. Other central teams will have to start watching their road games at Arizona later, whether they like it or not, just like when they play at Los Angeles, Anaheim, or Vegas. 6pm weeknight starts are an absolute non-starter.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
AZ/CO in Pacific. Not a strong preference, really. But with ANA, LAK, VGK (and a whole bunch of AHL counterparts) all within an hour's flight, it would be nice to be in the same division as all of them.....
although I do agree with the part of your assessment that it will probably not work out that way...but not because it's a bad idea. Just gotta pick one, can't pick both. It really is 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

My reasoning would be that if it makes things financially more difficult for the Coyotes, then the Alberta teams should move.

Also, I think your team is improving, and that means a greater possibility of long flights for playoff series. Winnipeg to Phoenix would be a long way. I don't like that.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Also, I think your team is improving, and that means a greater possibility of long flights for playoff series. Winnipeg to Phoenix would be a long way. I don't like that.

Well, it's a problem *I* wouldn't mind having... but that would be fun on here, if only for the "holy ****! 95 degrees in April? WTF, over?" aspect.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Well, it's a problem *I* wouldn't mind having... but that would be fun on here, if only for the "holy ****! 95 degrees in April? WTF, over?" aspect.

You guys currently stand s better chance of April games if you stay in the Pacific. Central is a bear...

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Ha! You think only one team can have certain colors? Try Pittsburgh. Or any other city. Laughable comment.

NHL Seattle/OVG already said NHL isn't going to be green and yellow as well as not going to be blue and green.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

In terms of flight distances, Winnipeg to Phoenix is about 2200 km. On the other hand, Calgary and Edmonton to Nashville are 2700 and 2800 km, respectively.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Green and yellow combo isn't going to happen thats NBA sonics colors that being reserved for when the NBA returns to Seattle.
You know, teams can have the same colors. Every team in Pittsburgh is yellow and black/white, for example.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
You know, teams can have the same colors. Every team in Pittsburgh is yellow and black/white, for example.

Headshot77, and its also up to OVG/NHLSeattle to decide what colors they want to use. And they said it won't be Blue and green and it won't be Green and yellow.

Blue and green is typical Seattle colors but vancouver is also blue and green so it won't be blue and green.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
NHL Seattle/OVG already said NHL isn't going to be green and yellow as well as not going to be blue and green.

Headshot77, and its also up to OVG/NHLSeattle to decide what colors they want to use. And they said it won't be Blue and green and it won't be Green and yellow.

Blue and green is typical Seattle colors but vancouver is also blue and green so it won't be blue and green.

That's great, but it still has nothing to do with your original statement. Which made you look like a little boy. No teams can "reserve" colors. Foolish. You continuing the topic just serves to show you're out to lunch.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think the league has enough teams. Vegas made sense. Seattle I'm not so excited about.

There is 31 teams when NHL expanded from 30, their intent was 32 teams. They are getting 32 teams.

That's great, but it still has nothing to do with your original statement. Which made you look like a little boy. No teams can "reserve" colors. Foolish. You continuing the topic just serves to show you're out to lunch.

How am i out to lunch. I am only stating what the group has stated about team colors. Its their right to decide what the colors should be and shouldn't be.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
There is 31 teams when NHL expanded from 30, their intent was 32 teams. They are getting 32 teams.

How am i out to lunch. I am only stating what the group has stated about team colors. Its their right to decide what the colors should be and shouldn't be.

Expansion seems like a money grab for the NHL. The NFL, NBA, and MLB hasn't added a new franchise in years.

1. Talent pool is already watered down enough.

2. Problems with the draft. Last expansion draft several teams took huge hits because the rules have not been evenly divided. Teams that took the biggest blow like Minnesota and Florida should not have to sustain the same impact again. The rules themselves are too favorable to Seattle. Allowing second year players to be exempt saved several young teams but hurt many others who were in transition. Also I don't like this circumvention by allowing teams to trade picks rather than have Seattle select a certain player.

3. If the NHL has to expand why is Canada being overlooked?

I wish Seattle the best of luck and I hope they succeed. Owners have a lot of money and a new arena.
Congrats guys.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Expansion seems like a money grab for the NHL. The NFL, NBA, and MLB hasn't added a new franchise in years.

1. Talent pool is already watered down enough.

2. Problems with the draft. Last expansion draft several teams took huge hits because the rules have not been evenly divided. Teams that took the biggest blow like Minnesota and Florida should not have to sustain the same impact again. The rules themselves are too favorable to Seattle. Allowing second year players to be exempt saved several young teams but hurt many others who were in transition. Also I don't like this circumvention by allowing teams to trade picks rather than have Seattle select a certain player.

3. If the NHL has to expand why is Canada being overlooked?

I wish Seattle the best of luck and I hope they succeed. Owners have a lot of money and a new arena.
Congrats guys.

Expansion is definitely a money grab. To address the last point, the owners and the arena together are going to have something like 1.4B dollars invested in this whole idea. Think about that. That's a HUGE pile of money. Just huge.....

1- Talent pool is better than ever. I have learned a lot reading the various threads on this site, not only BOH, but elsewhere also. It seems to me that goaltending is better than 15 years ago. League-wide, skating is better. etc.... The thing that is not better is that the athletes are so good that there isn't much room on the ice for stickhandlers. But, one extra team isn't going to affect that.

2- I agree on the draft. The rules favored Vegas, and they took advantage big time. However, I think that the rules were under negotiation before the team was awarded. Foley wasn't going to pay 500M for a perpetual bottom dweller. And NHLSeattle isn't going to either. The right rules would put the new team at about 16-18 in the league, imo.

3- Canada is being overlooked for the simple reason that the only thing Quebec, for example, has to offer the existing owners is the expansion fee. There is some doubt right now as to whether there is even anyone there who can afford to put up the fee. And even if they could, it would be a one time gain for each of the existing owners of about 15-20M. What they really want is to be relevant all over North America, and on prime time TV all season long, with a big media contract. That's the wave of the future, or the hope of the future. Personally, I think it's a mirage. But, my opinion doesn't matter. What the owners want is a big US TV contract. Quebec does nothing for that. And, there isn't anywhere else in Canada besides that, because Hamilton and/or Southern Ontario won't happen due to arena costs and dealing with the Leafs/Sabres and if they get too far to the southwest, the Wings for indemnity fees.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
How is this even still being used as an argument when the last expansion team made it to the Stanley Cup Final in their inaugural year?

Last time that happened was 50yrs ago & then, openly rigged. That it would happen again when things are not rigged is I'm afraid a sad commentary on the state of the game & management/scouting at the NHL level.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
the Alberta teams in central and colorado in pacific = massive realignment. Not going to happen per bettman.

Tommy I think you’re the first person around here I’ve ever seen take Bettman’s word as straight up gospel. :sarcasm:

That’s not a “massive realignment” btw... compare to some I’ve seen tossed around.

Geographics aren’t going to be the only thing that plays into this. The league has to also look at what visiting teams draw in certain markets. This is currently critical to Arizona, which has a load of transplants from California and Alberta. The question would be are their enough from the Central division to replace those they would lose? Outside of Chicago, there’s maybe Minnesota. Winnipeg could also be a factor but it’s still something the league has to look at.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Tommy I think you’re the first person around here I’ve ever seen take Bettman’s word as straight up gospel. :sarcasm:

That’s not a “massive realignment” btw... compare to some I’ve seen tossed around.

Geographics aren’t going to be the only thing that plays into this. The league has to also look at what visiting teams draw in certain markets. This is currently critical to Arizona, which has a load of transplants from California and Alberta. The question would be are their enough from the Central division to replace those they would lose? Outside of Chicago, there’s maybe Minnesota. Winnipeg could also be a factor but it’s still something the league has to look at.

And yet its such a great idea to only have Seattle and Vancouer to play southwest teams and only south west teams in their division and nothing else. Even if the Alberta teams are actually their closest teams.

NHL should FORCE half the western conference to travel even longer just just for 1 team just 1 team to stay put.

That is not look at what best interest in the league.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Lets hope fot everyones sake a miracle arrives in just enough time that that bridge will never have to be crossed.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
And yet its such a great idea to only have Seattle and Vancouer to play southwest teams and only south west teams in their division and nothing else. Even if the Alberta teams are actually their closest teams.

NHL should FORCE half the western conference to travel even longer just just for 1 team just 1 team to stay put.

That is not look at what best interest in the league.

I really don’t understand why you’re so gung-ho about that ONE TEAM since your team is going to be in the Pacific and wouldn’t be affected no matter what alignment there is. :help:

What’s in the best interest of the league is what’s going to give them the best overall ticket sales in the markets they choose to be in. Having players spend an extra hour sitting on a charter flight playing Fortnite (unless you’re Vancouver;)) really isn’t the issue here.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Hello stranger.... :)

I’m not hoping for anything. But if I hit the Powerball tonight then who knows??

You win, buy the Alien Infested Stardust Ranch. I just might showup with a Samurai Sword, case of fine wine... help you with the extermination... off-planet malvolent's, , inter-dimensional invaders.... My specialty as you know. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad