NHL to Seattle Volume XVI - It's Official. Seattle to join the league for 21-22 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Thats interesting re colors. Wonder if they go a choice very different then....kind of like tfc is red while toronto colours other teams blue and white. If they go with emeralds name green would be in there somewhere. Maybe a black and sonething with green

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Thats interesting re colors. Wonder if they go a choice very different then....kind of like tfc is red while toronto colours other teams blue and white. If they go with emeralds name green would be in there somewhere. Maybe a black and sonething with green

That's a very good question. Who knows what they would go with.

Reactions: MaskedSonja

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Im trying to remember was thete an uproar at all when tfc chose red as theor color? "Toronto is blue and white!" kind of thing. Eventually a city will accept it obviously. They might go with a non green name anyway

My understanding the red colour for TFC came from their then Canadian exclusivity with MLS. Also, BMO Field was originally built as the home of the Canadian National team hence the seats were red and they wanted to match the branding. Hence they hoped on the 'team Canada' deal for a while.

But yes, the city got used to it just like they embraced purple for the Raptors (never mind the name itself :laugh:)...before going to red themselves.

Reactions: MaskedSonja

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Reminder its been mention from last BOG meeting that there won't be a major/massive realignment once seattle is added.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Interesting though I guess not surprising that the alignment though minor has already been approved by the executive committee.

AZ to the central would make the most sense though one would think that plan would have leaked already.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Never liked AZ to central. They play part of the season in the Pacific time zone since they don't change the clock. Personally think Edm, Cal to central, Colorado to Pacific would make more sense. That way at least teams within division only spread two time zones vs 3.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Never liked AZ to central. They play part of the season in the Pacific time zone since they don't change the clock. Personally think Edm, Cal to central, Colorado to Pacific would make more sense. That way at least teams within division only spread two time zones vs 3.

it won't happen. bettman already said there won't me a massive realignment. You end up more making teams travel longer than needed.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Kinda like when you put Florida teams in a division with Canadian ones.

And that's the only screw up the NHL did in the eastern conference since thats probably won't be changing any time soon. The whole discussion is adding Seattle in pacific so who is going to central and there won't be a massive alberta teams to central Colorado to pacific alignment change. That will only cause more traveling.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
And that's the only screw up the NHL did in the eastern conference since thats probably won't be changing any time soon. The whole discussion is adding Seattle in pacific so who is going to central and there won't be a massive alberta teams to central Colorado to pacific alignment change. That will only cause more traveling.

Tommy....
That's not a screw up. It's what the Florida teams reportedly wanted.

Now, believe me, I have little problem with Arizona moving to the Central. It's only 2 months out of the year. So, it's not a big deal. But, really, the evidence is that DISTANCE, as you are measuring it, doesn't matter to the BOG. That's because you CAN'T accurately predict how the road trips will be managed. With that in mind, there is little difference, actually, between COL/ARZ and CGY/EDM in the Central.

However, it is well possible that Calgary and Edmonton, as teams with seats at the table, feel that losing Vancouver to replace with Winnipeg is simply too big an ask. And, with Calgary fighting for a new arena, I think the BOG would honor their wishes.

That's what I think happened. Regardless, since no one is actually saying, and the tweet quoted uses the word "assumption", why don't we all cool our jets and wait to see what happens.

Personally, I don't think Seattle will start until 2021 (either construction delays or a NHLPA/NHL costing them a year) and by that time I fully expect someone to have moved somewhere (Arizona to Houston or Calgary or something).

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
What im wondering is once we get to 32 teams do they do aeay with wildcard and simple top 4 each division advances? Or do we get the sometimes suggested 7 to 10 in comference mini playoffs for last 2 spots? 4up makes much more sense. Nhl likes the idea of more teams being "in it" though. Be interesting to see how playoffs go after cba meetings are done.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
My opinion for the playoff is they will do away with the wildcards and go straight top 4 per division.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 5th team make it through and play the 4 seed in a sudden death play-in match to get to the round of 16.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My opinion for the playoff is they will do away with the wildcards and go straight top 4 per division.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 5th team make it through and play the 4 seed in a sudden death play-in match to get to the round of 16.
The WC spots, if the division winner like Nashville or Vegas has to travel 2 time zones is that really a benefit to them?

I would agree in that I think the western teams opt for straight division playoff matchups.

48 non division matchups and the remaining 34 games get split to the 7 teams in your division. So get almost 5 per team with 1 team you play 4 times.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
There really are merits to both realignment plans (AZ/CO and EDM/CGY - which pair in which division)...despite what people wanna believe here, but boy AZ/CO in the Pacific will be the much more entertaining choice to watch the reactions to. Even if my team wasn't involved I know which one I'd root for. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Melrose Munch

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
There really are merits to both realignment plans (AZ/CO and EDM/CGY - which pair in which division)...despite what people wanna believe here, but boy AZ/CO in the Pacific will be the much more entertaining choice to watch the reactions to. Even if my team wasn't involved I know which one I'd root for. :sarcasm:

Being that your team is involved, which are you roting for?

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

I would agree DOM. I, and I think most SEA NHL fans, would probably prefer CGY/EDM in the division, but it's not a bad thing if it ends up being AZ/COL as Seattle already has a pro sports rivalry with one of those markets (Phoenix) and had a longstanding one in the past with the other (Denver), both in the NFL. Flames/Oilers would be preferable because people are more familiar with Calgary and Edmonton as hockey markets and because of their association as well with the Western Hockey League.

And then of course, there is the elephant in the room - would moving AZ to the Central be easier for them to do to provide them more flexibility in regards to a franchise relocation to Houston or perhaps Kansas City? And besides the CHI's, STL's and NSH's of this world can have Arizona and Colorado scheduled back-to-backs on road trips to eliminate travel concerns. And then schedule those games during when Arizona is on Mountain Time as opposed to Pacific.

Reactions: Llama19

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

That it makes sense to you it's not the question.
Seattle is not considered here because they currently do not exist, so when they join, they will be on Day 1 of existence without ''history of playing in what conference''.

So it's either AZ only (one team) or Edm, Cal, Colorado which means 3 teams. The voting started most likely with 3 votes to 1...involving those teams. We don't know how the others voted.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
the Alberta teams in central and colorado in pacific = massive realignment. Not going to happen per bettman.

Why did I know who posted this before I even looked?

Massive realignment would be going back to 6 divisions, or reorganizing the 4 divisions so they all contained teams from every time zone.

Moving 3 teams is NOT a massive realignment.

Which said, I would give 75% that Arizona moves to the Central (if they are still in that market when Seattle drops its first puck).

Reactions: Llama19

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Being that your team is involved, which are you roting for?

AZ/CO in Pacific. Not a strong preference, really. But with ANA, LAK, VGK (and a whole bunch of AHL counterparts) all within an hour's flight, it would be nice to be in the same division as all of them.....
although I do agree with the part of your assessment that it will probably not work out that way...but not because it's a bad idea. Just gotta pick one, can't pick both. It really is 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad