NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ao
our group already said they won't go with blue green white
so Seattle not going with the thunderbirds color scheme? It’s a much darker shade of blue than what Vancouver has.

I’m guessing Seattle goes with a green jersey similar shade the Everett silvertips

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Vancouver should go back to their black, orange and yellow flying skate jerseys and let Seattle have that color scheme.

I would rather have the Canucks fold than ever see that Spaghetti Skate logo take to the ice. Only reason people liked it was because Pavel Bure was moving so fast that you couldn’t see how butt ugly the jersey was.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Not directly connected, but the Seattle area crane operators/engineers went on strike today.

Just something to consider while we try to figure out the tight Key Arena renovation schedule for a Seattle 2020 start. Regional labor disputes pop up from time to time and they're almost completely outside of the control of the people that keep the schedule.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Not directly connected, but the Seattle area crane operators/engineers went on strike today.

Just something to consider while we try to figure out the tight Key Arena renovation schedule for a Seattle 2020 start. Regional labor disputes pop up from time to time and they're almost completely outside of the control of the people that keep the schedule.

I still think the start date will be the 2021-22 season -- avoids a possible lockout in 2020-21 and gives more than enough time to make sure the arena is finished.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I still think the start date will be the 2021-22 season -- avoids a possible lockout in 2020-21 and gives more than enough time to make sure the arena is finished.
He team will be awarded before the end of the current cba if there is an opt out. Just a question of when they begin play.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

The arena project isn't really using cranes other than putting in temporary support. But nothing requiring the big tall size cranes.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Good point. I will however just note that it would take this probably going six months before it would potentially be an issue for the Key project. Just the general high demand for labor and lack of workers because of there being so many projects going on will probably be a bigger problem for them on this front than any small labor action like this.

Anyone however interested in learning more about what's going on with the crane ops can read this article:

Strike halts work at some of Seattle's largest construction sites

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
The arena project isn't really using cranes other than putting in temporary support. But nothing requiring the big tall size cranes.

Which doesn't make it ''strike free''. We had a same strike this summer in Quebec. The big crane guys were complaining that after a given number of hours, the small crane guys were eligible to work on big boys. So guess what happened to small cranes...they were either participating in the strike (same union) or were being forced to stop working.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Seattle isn't using the old Whalers color scheme?

f***ing Boo. Dark blue, green, grey with the horizontal stripes is the absolute best.

Now I'm not gonna cheer for this franchise.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Which doesn't make it ''strike free''. We had a same strike this summer in Quebec. The big crane guys were complaining that after a given number of hours, the small crane guys were eligible to work on big boys. So guess what happened to small cranes...they were either participating in the strike (same union) or were being forced to stop working.

And that's certainly possible too. As you'll see if you're reading the story, the union that is striking, the Int'l Union of Operating Engineers Local 302, is striking against the Associated General Contractors, which is a group that provides these crane and other services to the construction companies. They're not striking against the construction companies themselves, it's against this larger umbrella group. So if Oak View and their lead construction company were to sign an agreement with AGC for them to provide construction support, then they'd be potentially affected by this strike. As I noted before, since it's not likely they'll be moving substantial dirt down there probably until mid-late November at the earliest, there's some time to get this resolved before this were to impact that. And I'd also expect that Oak View is probably paying attention to this too and will factor this into any construction schedule moving forward.

Again, though, just the large demand for these guys right now and the lack of available labor will be a bigger problem for them than this likely short-term strike disruption.

Reactions: MaxGeno60

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Good point. I will however just note that it would take this probably going six months before it would potentially be an issue for the Key project. Just the general high demand for labor and lack of workers because of there being so many projects going on will probably be a bigger problem for them on this front than any small labor action like this.

Anyone however interested in learning more about what's going on with the crane ops can read this article:

Strike halts work at some of Seattle's largest construction sites

And that's certainly possible too. As you'll see if you're reading the story, the union that is striking, the Int'l Union of Operating Engineers Local 302, is striking against the Associated General Contractors, which is a group that provides these crane and other services to the construction companies. They're not striking against the construction companies themselves, it's against this larger umbrella group. So if Oak View and their lead construction company were to sign an agreement with AGC for them to provide construction support, then they'd be potentially affected by this strike. As I noted before, since it's not likely they'll be moving substantial dirt down there probably until mid-late November at the earliest, there's some time to get this resolved before this were to impact that. And I'd also expect that Oak View is probably paying attention to this too and will factor this into any construction schedule moving forward.

Again, though, just the large demand for these guys right now and the lack of available labor will be a bigger problem for them than this likely short-term strike disruption.
Oh, I don't mean this specific action. Just that disputes such as these take place on a regional level and there's not much you can do to avoid the impacts. Today it's the operating engineers, tomorrow it's the laborers, next week it's the plumbers.

Just things that can delay things, even if it's a few days/weeks it's a lot on a tight schedule like this renovation.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Seattle Storm and NHL Seattle Announce Partnership for Playoffs:

Seattle Storm and NHL Seattle Announce Partnership Ahead of WNBA Semifinals at KeyArena - Seattle Storm

SEATTLE – The Seattle Storm today announced that NHL Seattle will be the presenting partner of the team’s WNBA Semifinals Game 1, highlighting the strong relationship forming between the two teams, set to share a home arena in the fall of 2020. On Sunday, the first 4,000 fans will receive a Storm and NHL Seattle co-branded rally towel. Doors are set to open at 1 p.m./PT.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
8033_seattle__totems-primary-1966.png

Reactions: Hull and Oates

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Probably OT, but perhaps SD or Tommy could explain this:

2018-19 MBB Nonconference Schedule - Washington State University

Noted NHL guy in the Seattle press Ian Furness from KJR/Q13 is also the so-called "resident" Washington State University guy in the Seattle media (he's an alum of the school and has kids currently attending there) and he spotted this last night. As we have mentioned here, the Key Arena project is supposed to break ground in October, but according to this above basketball schedule from WSU for the upcoming season, they have a road game scheduled for November 14 with Seattle University at....wait for it.....the Key. SU is a tenant in the building but like the Storm WNBA team has had to move home games elsewhere to accommodate the construction of the building. He sent a tweet to the NHL Seattle people so perhaps there will be an explanation on this at some point today.

As things BTW currently stand, we're still on schedule to get this approved very soon and for the construction to begin following that NBA exhibition game October 5, which by the way is going to be nationally televised - by ESPN. Doubt you will hear a peep about hockey there unless the suits in Bristol make them say something about it in an effort to curry favor with Bettman.....

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Seattle Storm and NHL Seattle Announce Partnership for Playoffs:

Seattle Storm and NHL Seattle Announce Partnership Ahead of WNBA Semifinals at KeyArena - Seattle Storm

SEATTLE – The Seattle Storm today announced that NHL Seattle will be the presenting partner of the team’s WNBA Semifinals Game 1, highlighting the strong relationship forming between the two teams, set to share a home arena in the fall of 2020. On Sunday, the first 4,000 fans will receive a Storm and NHL Seattle co-branded rally towel. Doors are set to open at 1 p.m./PT.

Could this be a first sign of potential SeattleNHL colors ?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Could this be a first sign of potential SeattleNHL colors ?
I'm guessing they haven't even started on the branding yet.

Again, it's assuming everything goes the same as Vegas (which isn't a given,) but the design came from Adidas after the official announcement of the franchise in Vegas.

The initial stuff gave kind of a hint, but it only really showed the steel gray and only looked the way it did due to Foley's preferences, which were also included in the final design, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad