NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougieMellon

Sep 4, 2018
Not announced yet but David wright will be Vice-Chairman of Seattle Hockey Partners.

Also, Jay Deutsch is involved.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
No sooner than the news conference finishes up that Daniels has a story:

Sounders Owner, Amazon Web Services CEO, Ackerleys join NHL Seattle effort

Initial thoughts are that the Leiweke's have lined up an interesting group of folks here. A note by the way on the Wright's (and you can see more here from Sonics Rising - David Wright is doing this for Seattle) and that is they are the sons of the late Howard S. Wright, who helped bring the Seahawks to Seattle back in the 1970's. So those two are no strangers it would seem to the pro sports ownership game, having been around it while growing up so many years ago. Having the Amazon Web guy involved might also be something to keep an eye on in terms of how that may impact the NHL's Internet presence going forward (i.e., if this ownership group gets approved, would they then be on the "in's" with the league on that front and could that impact their current arrangements with BAM for NHL.com and the associated team websites and NHL.tv.)

Should be interesting to see what happens. I'm a little surprised they weren't able to find more higher profile people to join in, but the people who have signed on I believe all have strong credentials and should help make for a strong ownership group for the NHL/Seattle team when that is approved before the end of the year.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
It seemed like Tod made a point to say each investor has valuable skills they can bring to the team, not just a name or money.

Andy Jassy: CEO of Amazon Web Services >>> Technology

Jay Deustch: CEO of BDA, largest promotional merchandising company in the world>>promotions and merchandising.

Ackerleys: Might the connection to tie in local NBA owners

David Wright/Jeffrey Wright: CEOs of investment companies/ Director/board of Space Needle and Seattle Center (Important figures 'on the ground')

Adrian Hanauer: That is your 'name'

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

A photo of the new investors with the Leiweke's and the mayor, who is standing at right. Hanauer, the Sounder owner, is third from left otherwise I have no clue who the rest of them are.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
Report: Bill Daly says NHL will not vote on Seattle expansion next month - Sportsnet.ca

Report: Bill Daly says NHL will not vote on Seattle expansion next month

Alex Prewitt@alex_prewitt
According to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, the Board of Governors will NOT hold an expansion vote at their Oct. 2 meeting after Seattle ownership makes its formal presentation

Daly: "In a vacuum, I think everyone assumes [the Board of Governors] would be inclined to expand to Seattle. But there's distance between here and there in terms of taking a vote.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
NHL isn't going to say no to 650m. They aren't going to get it form any other market at all period.

No...the price has already been set...whether it is a new expansion team or a relocated one...that is ultimately up to the NHL Front Office (i.e., Bettman)...

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
No...the price has already been set...whether it is a new expansion team or a relocated one...that is ultimately up to the NHL Front Office (i.e., Bettman)...

The Coyotes can't wait another couple of years can they? And if it's them, then what do you do about team #32? Quebec? Houston? Kansas City?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
The Coyotes can't wait another couple of years can they? And if it's them, then what do you do about team #32? Quebec? Houston? Kansas City?

As long as the NHL extends their LOC to Barroway...it will continue until it no longer continues... ;)

As far as a #32 team...

“If Houston were to express an interest in having an NHL franchise, under the right circumstances, it's something we [Gary Bettman stated] might want to consider.”

Source: www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-houston-franchise-relocation-rockets-owner-viability-sunbelt/1bgkl9koirejb1m8742ngp5dh4

SkalbaniasGhost

Jan 11, 2018
There is another option.
It is a market you have not mentioned.
You will have your answer by March of next year.
Be patient.
(Hint: look south snowvalley)

SkalbaniasGhost

Jan 11, 2018
Insider information?
Why March 2019?
Are you suggesting Portland?
No.It is not Portland.
They will be focused on the MLB pursuit.
The stadium site reveal for that project will happen in the next 2/3 weeks.
The market that is in play has two real estate deals moving forward.
Their also is a geopolitical event that will boost the financial/prestige factor of would be owner.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
No.It is not Portland.
They will be focused on the MLB pursuit.
The stadium site reveal for that project will happen in the next 2/3 weeks.
The market that is in play has two real estate deals moving forward.
Their also is a geopolitical event that will boost the financial/prestige factor of would be owner.

What MLB pursuit in the next 2/3 weeks?

All that I can find related to an MLB project is in Portland...

Source: www.bizjournals.com/portland/news/2018/04/17/portland-stadium-drive-begins-as-baseball-group.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad