NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Didn't see this posted, but news stories saying that SeattleNHL will be inducing a pitch to the NHL for a hockey team on October 2nd, 2018.

Seattle hockey CEO says prospective franchise will make NHL pitch this fall

Sounds like someone was listening in to last night's edition of Tuesdays with Tod on Softy Mahler's radio show; that interview is included in the below podcast of the third hour of Mahler's show last night:

Listen to the Dave 'Softy' Mahler and Dick Fain Episode - Softy and Dick H3 - Why all the secrecy? / Mike Florio on the NFL / Return of the Mack? / Tammy from Auburn / Tuesdays with Tod Leiweke on iHeartRadio | iHeartRadio

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Probably OT, but perhaps SD or Tommy could explain this:

2018-19 MBB Nonconference Schedule - Washington State University

Noted NHL guy in the Seattle press Ian Furness from KJR/Q13 is also the so-called "resident" Washington State University guy in the Seattle media (he's an alum of the school and has kids currently attending there) and he spotted this last night. As we have mentioned here, the Key Arena project is supposed to break ground in October, but according to this above basketball schedule from WSU for the upcoming season, they have a road game scheduled for November 14 with Seattle University at....wait for it.....the Key. SU is a tenant in the building but like the Storm WNBA team has had to move home games elsewhere to accommodate the construction of the building. He sent a tweet to the NHL Seattle people so perhaps there will be an explanation on this at some point today.

As things BTW currently stand, we're still on schedule to get this approved very soon and for the construction to begin following that NBA exhibition game October 5, which by the way is going to be nationally televised - by ESPN. Doubt you will hear a peep about hockey there unless the suits in Bristol make them say something about it in an effort to curry favor with Bettman.....

I just googled Seattle University Mens basketball schedule, and they don't have their schedule on their own website for the upcoming season yet. Seems like maybe they are waiting to finalize locations for their home games before releasing it? WSU apparently just put Key on there because they ass-u-me-d.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
FEIS is out
Permit and Property Records - Seattle Department of Construction and Inspections
Enter 001376-18PN in the search

THings to note:

Regarding that the project should be consider public and thus require alternate location outside of Seattle center

Dl4feYjU4AACkaq.jpg

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Depending on the news on an arena and how well that pitch goes over I'd expect an announcement on expansion to Seattle early in 2019.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
You want news, Tony and the rest of you? Chris Daniels has some huge breaking news:

Not sure what this might mean, i.e. who the locals are they have got on board, but this could be significant, so if I or some of our other Seattle folks get more info, we'll be sure to bring that to you here.....

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Of course in a perfect world, I'm sure a lot of people would love for Hansen/Ballmer to bury the hatchet and join forces with Oak View, but this world sadly is not perfect.......

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I haven't heard about any challenges to the EIS. Is it too early for that or should they be coming out now/soon?

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
I haven't heard about any challenges to the EIS. Is it too early for that or should they be coming out now/soon?

The EIS has been officially released as we mentioned upthread so if there are any challenges those will probably come out over the next couple of weeks leading into the vote. That said, as far as I know there's nothing at the moment in terms of any challenges to this, but this is Seattle so that could certainly change. SD and Tommy should be able to provide greater context for you. The announcement tomorrow will be a must-watch because depending on who's coming forward to help support this thing and put skin in it, that could definitely influence this process.

DougieMellon

Sep 4, 2018
You want news, Tony and the rest of you? Chris Daniels has some huge breaking news:

Not sure what this might mean, i.e. who the locals are they have got on board, but this could be significant, so if I or some of our other Seattle folks get more info, we'll be sure to bring that to you here.....

Will most likely be bigger news for NBA fans than NHL fans. Either way, the next few weeks are going to be very exciting.

DougieMellon

Sep 4, 2018
Looking for someone who is interested in doing some coverage of the Seattle Thunderbirds for SBNation during the upcoming season. Shoot me a message if you have any interest.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The EIS has been officially released as we mentioned upthread so if there are any challenges those will probably come out over the next couple of weeks leading into the vote. That said, as far as I know there's nothing at the moment in terms of any challenges to this, but this is Seattle so that could certainly change. SD and Tommy should be able to provide greater context for you. The announcement tomorrow will be a must-watch because depending on who's coming forward to help support this thing and put skin in it, that could definitely influence this process.

I read that any challengers have a week starting Thursday to appeal it so by the time the committee passes this onto the full council we'll know if there is any one appealing it.

Reactions: MaxGeno60

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

For those interested in today's announcement, it will be as noted in the Tweet at 2:00pm EDT/11am PDT (the tweet is from yesterday in case there's confusion) and be broadcast on Facebook Live. Guessing at their NHL/Seattle page so you'll probably have to find their page there, like it then you'll be able to watch. I'd expect the usuals in the media to also be there as well so guys like Daniels might be worth following on Twitter when the announcement goes down if you can't get to FBL for it.

DougieMellon

Sep 4, 2018
Our exclusive interview with the new investors will be live at 11:30 on Sonics Rising but I will try to keep everyone udpated as we recieve the green light.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
David Wright: Real Estate Invetment/ Board of Space Needle
Adrian Hanauer: Owner of Sounders FC
Jeff Wright: Director Washington Trust Bank/Managing Director of Chiuly Gardens/Board of Space Needle
Andy Jassy: CEO of Amazon Web Services
Chris/Ted Ackerley: CEO of Ackerley Partners (Investment Company). 'Legacy' family (Barry Ackerley owner of Sonics/prevented NHL in 1994
Jay Deutsch: CEO and Co Founder of BDA Investments (Promotional Merchandising and Technology investments)

Local ownership includes familiar names

DougieMellon

Sep 4, 2018
Was just told by the league that there will be no soft granting of a team to Seattle. It WILL require a full vote from the BOG so expect December. They don't have a specific date set yet but I was told it will absolutely be in the first week of the month. I suspect we will hear an announcement on or near Dec. 8th.

Reactions: Mightygoose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad