NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
(Per BattleBorn's request)

To continue...

Possible franchise name could be Seattle Kraken...
Tod Leiweke named CEO and President...
Key Arena renovation progress, is progressing...

Updates:
04-23-18 - SCA DRAFT EIS RELEASED

Last edited:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Good to see things moving forward. I wonder....would they have a seat at the bog for cba talks before their inaugural season? Be a great opportunity to have a say before they hit the ice. Of course they will probably be expected as the new kid to not rock the boat.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Good to see things moving forward. I wonder....would they have a seat at the bog for cba talks before their inaugural season? Be a great opportunity to have a say before they hit the ice. Of course they will probably be expected as the new kid to not rock the boat.

Depending on who's the BOG rep for the team, they probably would like it to not pose problems with the launch of the franchise.

Reactions: MaskedSonja

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Bonderman said they expect an announcement in June then another announcement in September.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
"Our commitment will be to win in everything we do but ultimately to bring the Stanley Cup back to Seattle." - Tod Leiweke

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
One thing i can think off would be June announcement would be NHL announcing Seattle. September would be announcing that the payment to the league has been made and team begins playing 20-21 season?

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Kraken-logo-B-Feb-13.png

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
It sounded to me that in June would be approval/recommendation from expansion committee and final approval/vote from all owners in September I understand that to mean real approval is September Correct me if I am wrong as I may have heard incorrectly.

I just heard KJR playing snippets from Tim Leiweke as I was in and out of meetings

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It sounded to me that in June would be approval/recommendation from expansion committee and final approval/vote from all owners in September I understand that to mean real approval is September Correct me if I am wrong as I may have heard incorrectly.

I just heard KJR playing snippets from Tim Leiweke

"conditional" franchise in June. Finalized etc in september. I don't see how they can't do an conditional franchise in June.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Ian Furness on KJR just publically said on the air that Hansen never wanted the NHL to be at SoDo. This is something a few of us knew, but he just made it public.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
"conditional" franchise in June. Finalized etc in september. I don't see how they can't do an conditional franchise in June.

The way I heard was it was not a full vote until September. I most definitely could have misheard it as it was just pieces of whole interview but that was the impression I got.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

I just heard KJR playing snippets from Tim Leiweke as I was in and out of meetings

Bonderman said he was hoping for conditional approval in June during the presser. Maybe september is final approval.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Ian Furness on KJR just publically said on the air that Hansen never wanted the NHL to be at SoDo. This is something a few of us knew, but he just made it public.

And with that attitude is why sodo arena is dead dead dead. Never going to happen. He basically just lied to the sport fans that Sodo arena was going to be both for hockey and basketball.

The NHL was the only way sodo arena was ever going to get built. The NBA will never give him the franchise.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011

Why is this news? We said this all along....
He was going to build the arena, and own the basketball team. He NEVER said that he would share revenues with hockey at all. That's why we all warned everyone that NHL at SoDo was going to be a very dicey proposition financially right from the start. The only way it would have ever gone there was as a rental, and no owner would have done that.

This just confirms what people with good analytical skills, thinking ahead, saw long ago.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Why is this news? We said this all along....
He was going to build the arena, and own the basketball team. He NEVER said that he would share revenues with hockey at all. That's why we all warned everyone that NHL at SoDo was going to be a very dicey proposition financially right from the start. The only way it would have ever gone there was as a rental, and no owner would have done that.

This just confirms what people with good analytical skills, thinking ahead, saw long ago.

That's not what ian was implying. There was a huge difference between not wanting to own it vs not wanting it at all in sodo. He basically say Sodo arena = NBA only no NHL team ever playing there.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
If it's a conditional franchise decided in June, what would the condition be on? Perhaps the final EIS approval?

If it's just a recommendation from the executive committee, 3 months seems long from recommendation to formal vote, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad