NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Key arena is not a landmark. The city was open to tearing it down as recently as 2017 but then quickly nominated it for landmark status themselves so that they could give the developer an 80 million dollar tax break. No one gives a crap about that roofline. It only exists because of a perfect storm of politics, stupidity, and greed.

I'd say it is a massive waste. The tax break will certainly not cover the added construction costs and there will always be limitations to that site. Symbolically, that roofline will forever highlight all past and future negatives associated with that site.

They never said they were open to tearing it down. Trust me people care about this stuff in Seattle. There would be lawsuit flying to stop the tear down in the roof if the city attempted to allow it. There is culture value for the roof. It historic landmark now so its not going away. I suggest to move on and stop acting like it crap and people don't care. They do.

In fact there is a huge fight to preserve the showbox from being demolished for a high rise building.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I've already seen attempts by fan sites of other teams try to figure out who they will protect/won't. It is kind of fascinating to look at. I know some were upset that Vegas did not have to offer up players, but they also don't get a expansion check either. Fans don't care about the check, but I'm guessing the teams do.
Clearly Bill Foley doesn't care about the check nearly as much as he does about on ice product seeing as how he agreed to not take the check in exchange for not being subject to expansion draft.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
They never said they were open to tearing it down. Trust me people care about this stuff in Seattle. There would be lawsuit flying to stop the tear down in the roof if the city attempted to allow it. There is culture value for the roof. It historic landmark now so its not going away. I suggest to move on and stop acting like it crap and people don't care. They do.

In fact there is a huge fight to preserve the showbox from being demolished for a high rise building.

KeyArena teardown an option, according to new Seattle RFP request

Kind of ironic that the Key's dated roofline gets landmark status yet they couldnt demolish the Mercer street arena fast enough after they discovered the original facade with gothic gargoyles. All politics.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Only because it wasn't declared historic landmark yet and no one proposed actually tearing it down and rebuilding from nothing. One group proposed changing it around but that one was rejected. Like i said It was never going to happen period. Move on.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Don't know if they have a podcast of the interview or not, but Chris Daniels was on with Sportsnet 650 Vancouver yesterday afternoon - they were doing a live remote at Safeco Field prior to the Blue Jays-M's game. BTW, those of you coming down from the Lower Mainland for the weekend games - and there are a lot of folks from Canada who do every year - who are interested in the NHL/Seattle matter will probably want to visit Seattle Center and KeyArena to get a lay of the land while you are here.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

Don't know if they have a podcast of the interview or not, but Chris Daniels was on with Sportsnet 650 Vancouver yesterday afternoon - they were doing a live remote at Safeco Field prior to the Blue Jays-M's game. BTW, those of you coming down from the Lower Mainland for the weekend games - and there are a lot of folks from Canada who do every year - who are interested in the NHL/Seattle matter will probably want to visit Seattle Center and KeyArena to get a lay of the land while you are here.

Oh, they’re everywhere. Shopping.

I never realized how big a thing the Blue Jays coming here was until I drove around town yesterday.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Been that way, guys, for the entire 40-some odd years of the Mariners. We get this EVERY year. Hopefully all of you from up north who came down for the series this weekend had a great time and we hope to see all of you back here next year for the Jays-M's series if they do a weekend set and of course when VAN, CGY or EDM play Seattle in the NHL!!! Out of curiosity for those who didn't make the trip and stayed back home in Canada and watched the games on SN, who was handling the announcing? Buck or Dan?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Been that way, guys, for the entire 40-some odd years of the Mariners. We get this EVERY year. Hopefully all of you from up north who came down for the series this weekend had a great time and we hope to see all of you back here next year for the Jays-M's series if they do a weekend set and of course when VAN, CGY or EDM play Seattle in the NHL!!! Out of curiosity for those who didn't make the trip and stayed back home in Canada and watched the games on SN, who was handling the announcing? Buck or Dan?
On twitter many m's fans were not happy about this.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Away from the M's-Jays to bring some breaking news:

From Chris Daniels. Probably nothing important from this but still for those paying attention, worth noting.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
And I'd agree. Almost seemed to me like it's "non-news" news. As long as everything's on schedule on the ground and there's no devil in the details or snake in the weeds, that's good.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
And I'd agree. Almost seemed to me like it's "non-news" news. As long as everything's on schedule on the ground and there's no devil in the details or snake in the weeds, that's good.

SCC was never devil in the details. The city is not going to say no.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Hopefully there’s not too many, as I’ve said for a while (and the author also says,) the schedule is already super tight without any further delay.

As i said the only really potential delay is a FEIS appeal we'll find out that before the city takes a vote to finalize it. If no one appeals and city approves it on time then the NHL should be announcing the franchise either in the coming days or months. The announcement will be this year. No later.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
As i said the only really potential delay is a FEIS appeal we'll find out that before the city takes a vote to finalize it. If no one appeals and city approves it on time then the NHL should be announcing the franchise either in the coming days or months. The announcement will be this year. No later.
Well, you know I disagree on that, but I’m hoping for the best.

The sooner the Knights come to Seattle, the better. I am a mere 48 minutes away on the Metro 550 line.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Well, you know I disagree on that, but I’m hoping for the best.

The sooner the Knights come to Seattle, the better. I am a mere 48 minutes away on the Metro 550 line.

The only reason why the NHL has yet to take a vote on Seattle is we don't have the arena finalized yet the moment its finalized the vote and announcement will come.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The only reason why the NHL has yet to take a vote on Seattle is we don't have the arena finalized yet the moment its finalized the vote and announcement will come.
Makes sense.

As I’ve said, I disagree and feel like they’ll follow the precedent set with the last expansion and announce granting a team the summer prior to their debut on the ice, but who knows?

Perhaps the governors didn’t feel like the NHL Western Conference champions in their inaugural season didn’t have enough time to organize a franchise and will decide to grant the team earlier for Seattle.

I mean, the arena is ready. Why not announce it ASAP?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Makes sense.

As I’ve said, I disagree and feel like they’ll follow the precedent set with the last expansion and announce granting a team the summer prior to their debut on the ice, but who knows?

Perhaps the governors didn’t feel like the NHL Western Conference champions in their inaugural season didn’t have enough time to organize a franchise and will decide to grant the team earlier for Seattle.

I mean, the arena is ready. Why not announce it ASAP?

NHL will do what ever they want. If this matched precedent then announce of expansion process would have started last june's GOP meeting not last December.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Battle in you the area now? Hope its going well for you!
I am here.

Went to a Sounders game last night, parked on Occidental. :laugh:

I kind of get the Port of Seattle's point on traffic now. Had to see it to believe it. That whole area is a nightmare when there's events going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad