NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Is the construction schedule such that they can start anytime in the year? Obviously not until NHL signs off on something. But, for example, if NHL gives a franchise in March, can construction start immediately then?

I know that starting more or less immediately is necessary for a 2020-21 start, but I'm thinking about an easier timeline for construction if it's a 2021-22 start.

Well, the construction schedule I think is flexible. As you probably have seen here, the thinking of the Leiweke's is that they would like to get started within 30-60 days. Frankly, it's entirely possible that they go back to New York next week, make their presentation, get the Executive Committee to vote to recommend the bid to the full BoG, get the city to waive that specific clause which you are referring to here (and since Durkan will be back there, she could easily grant that waiver then and there if she wanted to) and you'd see dirt moving down there perhaps within a week or two after that meeting. That's why this waiver clause is so important. It keeps from there having to be a specific response in order for something to occur, instead, all it may need is for the actual recommendation to occur before something happens. Flexibility my friend, flexibility.

Granted, you're probably not going to hear anything publicly from the league after next week's meeting - even though CD5 and the rest of the Seattle media band will be back there waiting outside the meeting ready to pounce on Bettman and Daly - but the real clues will come in more succinctly, like whether you see construction equipment/cranes/workers start to move in to begin demolition on the site. That crane strike that we were talking about here from earlier this month has now ended so they have all available resources to work with if they want to get started. It's all going to be more about what you see on the ground here in Seattle than what you hear from back in NY because yes, they won't announce anything publicly until December's full meeting. But if all that I outline above occurs, you could be well into demolition before that vote. Really, your best bet will be to perhaps pay attention here and over on the threads at Sonics Rising because the info on the ground here will be more telling than anything you hear out of Bettman or Daly's mouth at this point.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Well, the construction schedule I think is flexible. As you probably have seen here, the thinking of the Leiweke's is that they would like to get started within 30-60 days. Frankly, it's entirely possible that they go back to New York next week, make their presentation, get the Executive Committee to vote to recommend the bid to the full BoG, get the city to waive that specific clause which you are referring to here (and since Durkan will be back there, she could easily grant that waiver then and there if she wanted to) and you'd see dirt moving down there perhaps within a week or two after that meeting. That's why this waiver clause is so important. It keeps from there having to be a specific response in order for something to occur, instead, all it may need is for the actual recommendation to occur before something happens. Flexibility my friend, flexibility.

Granted, you're probably not going to hear anything publicly from the league after next week's meeting - even though CD5 and the rest of the Seattle media band will be back there waiting outside the meeting ready to pounce on Bettman and Daly - but the real clues will come in more succinctly, like whether you see construction equipment/cranes/workers start to move in to begin demolition on the site. That crane strike that we were talking about here from earlier this month has now ended so they have all available resources to work with if they want to get started. It's all going to be more about what you see on the ground here in Seattle than what you hear from back in NY because yes, they won't announce anything publicly until December's full meeting. But if all that I outline above occurs, you could be well into demolition before that vote. Really, your best bet will be to perhaps pay attention here and over on the threads at Sonics Rising because the info on the ground here will be more telling than anything you hear out of Bettman or Daly's mouth at this point.

Thanks.

Suppose the ExComm delays. No positive word until December. No waiver until Jan of 2019. What I know of the construction schedule means that leaves a 2020 start all but impossible. So, the team and league would await 2021. In that case, could demo start in Jan 2019? I assume so. Would it be cheaper because there would be 8 more months to work with?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Thanks.

Suppose the ExComm delays. No positive word until December. No waiver until Jan of 2019. What I know of the construction schedule means that leaves a 2020 start all but impossible. So, the team and league would await 2021. In that case, could demo start in Jan 2019? I assume so. Would it be cheaper because there would be 8 more months to work with?

The requirement was no construction starts before December until there is a guarantee of a team. There is no need to delay construction like that.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
The requirement was no construction starts before December until there is a guarantee of a team. There is no need to delay construction like that.

Tommy,

You are being frustrating again. This was obviously a hypothetical. And, you completely dismissed the idea without explaining why, other than to say "Don't even think about it, you idiot. It won't happen that way."

I'm asking this: If the guarantee comes in April, does the construction start immediately then? If so, is the 2020 season impossible? If so, would the construction schedule slow down a little, and thus make the cost cheaper?

I am NOT suggesting that OVG wants that. They obviously want to be done as soon as possible. I am asking, "IF....."

Please someone answer me.

Thank you.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Thanks.

I don't think that question has been legitimately answered/asked of those involved specifically OVG. One would naturally assume so. The one thing to consider is that, correct me if I am wrong, there is nothing scheduled there after October 5th and I believe would either one begin construction asap or start scheduling again under your scenario. Anything I have read has not suggested construction delay or postponement /reschedule of events there. Construction beginning asap seems to be all they are thinking about.

In either scenario finishing asap seems to be OVG's priority to start scheduling events again.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't think that question has been legitimately answered/asked of those involved specifically OVG. One would naturally assume so. The one thing to consider is that, correct me if I am wrong, there is nothing scheduled there after October 5th and I believe would either one begin construction asap or start scheduling again under your scenario. Anything I have read has not suggested construction delay or postponement /reschedule of events there. Construction beginning asap seems to be all they are thinking about.

In either scenario finishing asap seems to be OVG's priority to start scheduling events again.

The whole not before december requirement is just December is the soonest the team can be announcment could happne but wouldn't surprise me if that requirement is still in place if BOG doesn't grant the franchise in december.

It wouldn't take much of a response post meeting from the NHL to trigger that waiver. Its just there to prevent the NHL from lagging on their approval of the franchise. This is why the whole idea of a 2019 team announcement is ridiculous. The longer it takes for the NHL to grant the team the longer it'll take for construction to begin on the arena.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Thanks.

MN, Tommy I think is going in the right direction here. If the committee delays, then there's no granting of the waiver IMO. The only way I see the city granting this waiver would be if the ExComm recommends the deal to the full BoG. The whole point I think of having that there is to give the city an ability to allow Oak View to begin work down there to show the league that yes, everyone's serious about this project. So if the committee delays, then there's no work being done because no waiver. Really, MN, the ball will be in the committee's court. They know what the situation here is, and they are probably well aware of the various clauses and what not. It really will boil down to how badly they want to be here, so we will have to just see. In terms of costs, I'm not too sure that it matters because you're still dealing with the same issues (noise, soil, etc. etc.) that you'd be dealing with, doesn't matter if it's October 15 or January 15, and you're also dealing with the same issues gathering crews and equipment. The construction industry in this town has been hot for years - near my office in Bellevue there's multiple projects going on including one across the street - so they'll have issues with that too. At the end of the day, it's on the committee to make the call. It's on them to do this. The city has done its part. The league, you're up.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
I'm also going to provide an OT piece of reading material for you all courtesy of Chris Daniels. One of the potential nicknames for the Seattle team that some I think have mentioned is "Pilots." Well, there used to be a Seattle Pilots team - an MLB team that played in an old stadium down in the Rainier Valley. Good piece this week on that old stadium, which was owned ironically by the city before its demolition in the 1970's.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
So are we still on schedule for 2019-2020? My OCD can't handle the current conference imbalance for much longer...

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
(Grips for the thought of NHL pulling an MLS/Cincinnati and announcing for a team in 2019 with 10 months lead time. Only to maximize the comedy.)

(Also, names the team Kraken just to see the resulting meltdown.)

NOTE: None of the parenthetical advice being offered here is either advisable or practical. Nor is this an actual endorsement of Kraken.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
(Grips for the thought of NHL pulling an MLS/Cincinnati and announcing for a team in 2019 with 10 months lead time. Only to maximize the comedy.)

NOTE: None of the parenthetical advice being offered here is either advisable or practical. Nor is this an actual endorsement of Kraken.

:laugh:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

It actually helps that MLS/Cincinnati already have a large enough stadium. Everything is already set up for that franchise personnel ownership. Its taking an existing franchise and bumping it up a division. Only thing that will be different is the players.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

I'm not 100% sure how big of a meltdown Kraken would be..

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Seattle-Kraken-jerseys.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad