NHL team unveiling special jersey (UPD: Canes to Wear Whalers Throwbacks on 12/23/18)

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
wait

Penguins-new-home-and-road.jpg
I’ve said many times that the Pens were lazy for going back to these jerseys.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Absolutely appalling. As a former resident of Hartford, I find this move embarassing for the Hurricanes and the league.

If you're gonna have a team wear a previous team's jersey, then at least have the courtesy to play the game in that city. If they really wanna pay tribute to their history, they should play the game in Hartford.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nordiques1979

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Absolutely appalling. As a former resident of Hartford, I find this move embarassing for the Hurricanes and the league.

If you're gonna have a team wear a previous team's jersey, then at least have the courtesy to play the game in that city. If they really wanna pay tribute to their history, they should play the game in Hartford.

[MOD]

:nopity:I was luke warm and didn't really care one way or another about them releasing this jersey before, but after reading some reactions like this, I absolutely love it now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm not bitter about it

Your team is profiting off a franchise and city they have nothing to do with . And no benefit is going back to them.

Sorry you don't see the issue

You sure seem bitter. ;)

And you are right, I don't see it as an issue. NHL owns the rights to the Whalers logo and can do what they want with it. If you don't like that, well, too bad.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Love it!

But honestly, what's the message behind this? Don't think the Avs would make a Nordiques third jersey??!

It's the proof that the Hurricanes identity is nowhere right now, definitely in crisis. If a team have a strong fan base they would have made a retro jersey of the Canes back when they relocated to Raleigh? Instead no, they glorify the identity of another city.

The Coyotes didn't play with a Jets jersey, and I don't think the Jets will ever play with a Thrashers jersey anytime.

Very disturbing for me, but love the jersey.

There's not enough difference between the current homes and the set from 97-07 to do that. In fact just last year they were changed back to something closer to that because the set they wore from 2013-17 was so poorly received.

Reactions: SlavinAway

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
You may not be able to separate them, but others, including the NHL, clearly can.
The fact that the NHL still use the Whalers brand doesn't bothers me at all, it's business, they even sell Nordiques merch.

But the fact that a relocated team needs to use it to sell merchandise, even after several new jerseys in the last few years say a lot about those poor Hurricanes.

Reactions: GordonGraham

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Now the NHL has to do the right thing: Give Howard Baldwin an expansion team and BRING BACK MY f***ING WHALERS!!!!!!!!

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
The fact that the NHL still use the Whalers brand doesn't bothers me at all, it's business, they even sell Nordiques merch.

But the fact that a relocated team needs to use it to sell merchandise, even after several new jerseys in the last few years say a lot about those poor Hurricanes.
We don't need it to sell merch. You truly don't know what you're talking about.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Wow.

For 20 years, all we heard was how they ought to pay tribute to the Whalers.

The minute they announce they’re actually going to do it, it’s like a damn salt mine exploded.
We're Carolina. We're not allowed to have nice things, you know this by now.

The bitterness over "dat durr Southern team" appropriating the Whale is the cheery on top of this sundae, I'll tell ya what.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad