NHL team unveiling special jersey (UPD: Canes to Wear Whalers Throwbacks on 12/23/18)

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
If you don't get that new uniforms is a way to increase merchandising selling, I can't help you.
That's not what you said. you implied they only did this to sell merch which is not accurate.

Still, very pathetic to bring back the Whalers for two nights instead of use your own history.
Except that exactly what they are doing.:huh:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Not really what I said, at all.

I mean how the initial reactions are almost exclusively highest praise, where as most are more split and said fairly good. Also I mean in the sense when someone jokingly says something like “I don’t understand how you don’t like chocolate, but you like licorice”

I like this unit because its different... color scheme than other NHL jerseys.. this one overall just feels so boring to me. It looks like a default EA NHL template

It is an EA NHL template. Where do you think they got that template from?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
it's clearly not you can't separate the identity of a franchise with its city.

Whalers = Hartford, Connecticut
Canes = Raleigh NC
See the difference??

This is so incorrect. They are the same franchise, Hartford was relocated to Carolina - they share a history, the Canes grew out of the Whalers. Why be critical of that?

On a side not, I want one.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm not bitter about it

Your team is profiting off a franchise and city they have nothing to do with . And no benefit is going back to them.

Sorry you don't see the issue
A city holds no ownership over an NHL team in this case. Hartford lost their team, the NHL or the Hurricanes organization don't owe them any financial reward here.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
A bit weird to have Carolina wearing the Hartford jerseys (yes I know they're the same franchise) but there's no denying these are nice jerseys.

Reactions: Nordiques1979

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
This is so incorrect. They are the same franchise, Hartford was relocated to Carolina - they share a history, the Canes grew out of the Whalers. Why be critical of that?

On a side not, I want one.

I don't think we will be agree on this one. For me The Whalers and the Canes are two different story. Not the same fan base, not the same roots...

I respect the way you see it, but for me you can't link the two. Except that they relocated to NC.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
that is ugly as sin, just because it's old does not make it great

this one is much better

e04a79d8dd22627d.jpg

Honestly I like the new ones waaaaaay more.

Reactions: CPTN71

Wayland

Feb 28, 2006
I used to love in old NHL video games that you could wear jerseys from previous iterations/cities for teams and did it all the time. Honestly don't know if they still do this because I haven't played them in well over a decade.

That being said, I love this as well. There is no reason to hide from the past, it is the same franchise and the Hurricanes have a stake in Whalers merchandise. If other teams want to do this... more power to them. If the Devils wanted to bust out Scouts or Rockies jerseys (or loan it to the Avalanche) sweet! If the Avalanche wanted to bust out Nordiques, awesome!

I don't know if the Seals rights transitioned to the North Stars through merges. But if Dallas wants to bust out any of their historical jerseys, rock on!

Or if the NHL wants to loan the rights to any of the defunct teams to a current team. Have fun!

The Whalers as Hartford have been gone for decades. Time to move on and have fun with the honor.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
I used to love in old NHL video games that you could wear jerseys from previous iterations/cities for teams and did it all the time. Honestly don't know if they still do this because I haven't played them in well over a decade.

That being said, I love this as well. There is no reason to hide from the past, it is the same franchise and the Hurricanes have a stake in Whalers merchandise. If other teams want to do this... more power to them. If the Devils wanted to bust out Scouts or Rockies jerseys (or loan it to the Avalanche) sweet! If the Avalanche wanted to bust out Nordiques, awesome!

I don't know if the Seals rights transitioned to the North Stars through merges. But if Dallas wants to bust out any of their historical jerseys, rock on!

Or if the NHL wants to loan the rights to any of the defunct teams to a current team. Have fun!

The Whalers as Hartford have been gone for decades. Time to move on and have fun with the honor.
I don't think it's appealing to every relocated teams. Speaking of what I know, seeing the Avs playing with a Nordiques jersey would've been considered as a disgrace in Quebec.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
A city holds no ownership over an NHL team in this case. Hartford lost their team, the NHL or the Hurricanes organization don't owe them any financial reward here.
Funny you bring that up: as part of the agreement to get out of their lease at the HCC they gave the Whalers intellectual property to the state of Connecticut. The state, being run by morons, did nothing with it. Sane people would've leased the rights out for merchandise and brought much needed revenue into the state's coffers. But they didn't and after 10 years of inactivity the state lost the IP rights and the NHL snapped them right up. This is why there ended up with tons of Whalers merchandise after years where nothing but bootlegs were available.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
You put a bad product on the ice for a decade and not make the playoffs and attendance will suffer. Pittsburgh in 2003-2004 had a lower attendance then Carolina did last year. Amazing how a winning team changes things.
When the Canes won the Cup in 2006, the Capitals routinely had home games that looked like maybe 8k people where there, tops. I know this because I was living in Virginia at the time, and that was the only team I could watch. As you said, winning changes everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad