NHL team unveiling special jersey (UPD: Canes to Wear Whalers Throwbacks on 12/23/18)

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I agree

I wonder what the folks in Hartford think of Carolina trying to sell a logo and jersey that has nothing to do with them

still... beauty jersey though

Nothing to do with them other than the fact that it’s the same organization?

Reactions: insomniac

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Love it!

But honestly, what's the message behind this? Don't think the Avs would make a Nordiques third jersey??!

It's the proof that the Hurricanes identity is nowhere right now, definitely in crisis. If a team have a strong fan base they would have made a retro jersey of the Canes back when they relocated to Raleigh? Instead no, they glorify the identity of another city.

The Coyotes didn't play with a Jets jersey, and I don't think the Jets will ever play with a Thrashers jersey anytime.

Very disturbing for me, but love the jersey.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I don’t understand how people here love what they love and hate what they hate lol

It’s not bad at all... I just don’t see how this is “beautiful”

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Another lazy recycled jersey. Shocker.

wait

Penguins-new-home-and-road.jpg

Reactions: CPTN71

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
It's the proof that the Hurricanes identity is nowhere right now, definitely in crisis. If a team have a strong fan base they would have made a retro jersey of the Canes back when they relocated to Raleigh? Instead no, they glorify the identity of another city.

The Coyotes didn't play with a Jets jersey, and I don't think the Jets will ever play with a Thrashers jersey anytime.
Nailed it

Reactions: New Jersey

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
All I ask from the team: a portion of the proceed should be donated to the Connecticut Children's Hospital (formerly the UCONN Children's Hospital) as that was the official charity of the Whalers.

Reactions: UConn126 and DaveG

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Love it!

But honestly, what's the message behind this? Don't think the Avs would make a Nordiques third jersey??!

Very disturbing for me, but love the jersey.

Or, and stay with me here, the new owner recognized the fact that the Whalers are part of the organization's history, and after putting out some feelers to the fanbase, realized it's not as taboo a subject as it's generally made out to be.

Canes fans realize we got a team as a result of Hartford losing theirs. That sucks, it really does. And we're right there with those fans in cursing Karmanos' name (though for different reasons).

But the team has been in Carolina for over 20 years now. It's long overdue to recognize and honor the history of the team, rather than treat it as something to avoid discussing.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
So you are saying everybody should love the same things, find beauty in the same things, and hate the same things? That's an odd perspective.
Not really what I said, at all.

I mean how the initial reactions are almost exclusively highest praise, where as most are more split and said fairly good. Also I mean in the sense when someone jokingly says something like “I don’t understand how you don’t like chocolate, but you like licorice”

I like this unit because its different... color scheme than other NHL jerseys.. this one overall just feels so boring to me. It looks like a default EA NHL template

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I did not know that. That's cool and I'm sure they will then... :)

Karmanos would not do anything to recognize the Whalers, for obvious reasons. As soon as Dundon came in, he started doing this. Selling Whaler's gear at the arena, playing the brass bonanza, etc..

As long as I've been here in NC, there are ALWAYS Whaler's jerseys at Canes games. He's just doing this to sell more merchandise and bring more publicity to a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 9 years. The people posting about this being a team in crisis and what not because of this move are being silly and reading what they want into this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad