League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Season Edition - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I wonder if this puts Vigneault on the hot seat. He's a great coach that got a lot out of that pretty 'meh' group last season. Would do wonders for the Capitals the next few years if they canned him and went back to being lottery team.

Still, geez. 9-0 in the second period. Coach that isn't going to send a guy out there to send a message at that point is not going to win over the fans in Philadelphia. They expect their team to start gooning it up when the games get out of reach.

Reactions: max21

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Since blanking the Sabres, the flyers have gone 9 games and haven't given up less than 3 goals. 3-6 giving up 42 goals (4.6 g/gm).

Not good Bob

Posted on February 7, when the Flyers were 7-3-2:

The Flyers have been really bad this year. Even with the absences this should be a win.

I am serious. They've been riding some pretty ridiculous percentages and even still are only 7-5, plus they have some injuries/absences of their own.

Not saying I'll be shocked if the Capitals lose, just saying if I were a betting man I'd pick the Capitals.

It's the same reason why I expect Pittsburgh will rebound and likely be a good team down the stretch: they've been incredibly unlucky this season and their goaltending numbers will certainly improve.

After 12 games there were deep concerns about the Flyers despite a decent record. And the Penguins have rebounded quite a bit after some early bad luck.

One might even say that expected goals is a better predictor than actual goals and win/loss record.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

After 12 games there were deep concerns about the Flyers despite a decent record. And the Penguins have rebounded quite a bit after some early bad luck.

One might even say that expected goals is a better predictor than actual goals and win/loss record.

One might say this is why people get irritated with your crusading.

You took that completely out of context. You predicted a win based on your metrics but the Caps lost 7-4. The poster you were responding to noted the Flyers had a better record at the time and were winning more than the Caps, which was true. And apparently it was a good predictor of who would win that game, despite your own analysis.

The Flyers were a bit over .500 and have been playing .500 hockey since your post. Not great but not terrible, despite the slaughter yesterday you're now using to color perception. If they'd won 9-0 I wonder if you'd have made the same declaration.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Oh twabby — you won’t always make it easy on yourself.

In before someone says “we should petition the NHL to use “expected goals” to determine the 16 teams for the Stanley Cup playoffs — screw the actual won/loss records”

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Calicaps

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
One might say this is why people get irritated with your crusading.

You took that completely out of context. You predicted a win based on your metrics but the Caps lost 7-4. The poster you were responding to noted the Flyers had a better record at the time and were winning more than the Caps, which was true. And apparently it was a good predictor of who would win that game, despite your own analysis.

The Flyers were a bit over .500 and have been playing .500 hockey since your post. Not great but not terrible, despite the slaughter yesterday you're now using to color perception. If they'd won 9-0 I wonder if you'd have made the same declaration.

Of course in the very same statement I said I wouldn't be surprised if the Flyers would win because hockey is full of luck.

Anyways here's the Flyers over the past few weeks despite playing .500 hockey:

makePlayoffs-conf-east-2021-03-17.png

This is what happens when a .500 record is earned through beating bottom feeders and losing to every team above you in the standings.

Oh and they have a 3-game set against the Islanders coming up.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I feel this is like when people get mad at the weatherman when he's wrong. Advanced stats aren't always right, but they are right more often than they are wrong and are a valuable tool to be used in addition to traditional analysis tools.
If any tool was 100% effective at predicting future events, the world would be a very different place. All predictive models are going to be wrong some of the time, but that doesn’t mean you should just ignore them. Look at the most accurate tools you have, and make informed decisions based on them.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Also that game against the Flyers was hilarious because the Capitals really did outplay them by every reasonable standard except goaltending, where it took Vanecek's worst game as an NHLer and a comedy Craig Anderson appearance to lead to the Flyers winning.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

crab

Jan 26, 2019

Hockey Reference has the Penguins dead last in the league for expected goals at 5-on-5. Is that not accurate?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Hockey Reference has the Penguins dead last in the league for expected goals at 5-on-5. Is that not accurate?

I see them at 20th according to Natural Stat Trick: Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

It's not great for sure, and I think it's fair to say they're getting a little bit lucky now as well. Though, like the Capitals (but not to the same extreme), the Penguins have been able to outpace their xGF in recent years due to superior shooting talent and playmaking that isn't always captured by xGF.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad