League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Season Edition - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
This Tom wilson debate is still a thing? I mean it's obvious that it's not about keeping players safe or all that bullshit. Tom Wilson caused a lot of complaints from the hockey dumpster a.k.a. hockey media. The NHL just doesn't want bad press, their motto under the Bettman's regime is all about money and image. As long as the backlash is not damaging enough they won't do shit and they don't care about stuff like fairness or rectitude. Same thing with Bill Peters and that Aliu guy. Everyone with at least a couple of braincells understands that the NHL was well aware of stuff like this but they didn't do nothing until it was made public and all this bitching and crying took over the social media. They cancelled the coach to survive all that. Wilson is on the thin ice. He's a couple of inflicted head injuries away from getting shut down for good.

Reactions: ovikovy817

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
If the semi-finals are going to be seeded league-wide, I’d like to see them do the same in the second round. There’s no way Caps v Pens, Boston or NYI is going to be as entertaining a product after already watching eight game series with each of them already. The idea of teams doing that twice - replicating over a quarter of their regular season - just isn’t exciting. The season-sets seem a bit muted too - the animosity and rivalry that usually accompanies Caps-Pens games has been drowned out by the mundane frequency. Things will heat up in the playoffs because it’s the playoffs, but the team-based rivalry but might not be as strong because of the repetitiveness of it all.

The current format also poses a greater-than-normal chance, I’d say, of weaker teams making it to the final four. One of Toronto or Winnipeg are all but guaranteed to make it to the semi finals, even though I’m not convinced any of the defense and goaltending-weak Canadian teams would make it past the second round in a typical year. On the other hand, Colorado and Vegas look genuinely strong, but it’s difficult to really gauge that given the relatively mediocre division they’re playing in. And only one of them can make it past round 2, anyway.

First round - divisional
Second round - league-wide reseeding
Semi-finals
Final

Yes, there would still be luck/randomness involved in the seeding, but to me that would make for a much more interesting product with at least some teams playing foes they haven’t seen in a year by round 2. Playing a team 3 times in the RS and then 4-7 times in the playoffs is a very different vibe to 8 times in the RS, 4-7 in the playoffs.

(And before anyone weighs in with the Canadian-US border issue, none of the Canadian teams have fans in arenas yet, and it isn’t clear that will be possible even by the playoffs, so them being in Canada doesn’t seem all that important. I’d prioritise good hockey series over keeping them in Canada any day.)

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Still make no sense that we didnt get paused for covids
How hard is this to understand? It's about contact tracing and exposure. Their exposure level is such that they need to wait for lots of tests and need to confirm contacts while also keeping everyone apart until they know who's infected to prevent further exposure. Caps never had this problem, so no postponements.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Taylor Hall is looking great in Boston. Wish he would have considered Washington!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If the semi-finals are going to be seeded league-wide, I’d like to see them do the same in the second round. There’s no way Caps v Pens, Boston or NYI is going to be as entertaining a product after already watching eight game series with each of them already

On the contrary. Caps v Pens in the second round could be the best series of the playoffs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
One does not yearn for that which is easily acquired.

Not my point. Mantha is probably a better Caps hockey player than Hall. You appear to consistenty prefer a speed/skill game to the Caps clear choice of style. Hall might well have just been out of place

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Not my point. Mantha is probably a better Caps hockey player than Hall. You appear to consistenty prefer a speed/skill game to the Caps clear choice of style. Hall might well have just been out of place
There was an info from an insider that the Caps tried to get him. Appears they actually like the same as we do, he just chose a different team.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
The fact that they were so publicly in on Hall, and the Mantha deal was struck so late and only after Hall declined to waive for Washington, makes me think Hall was plan A and Mantha was plan B - maybe because of the acquisition cost. But as Hall hopes to extend in Boston, and that seems to be why he waived his NMC for only one team, I wonder if the Caps were sending Vrana to Buffalo in the hope/expectation of signing Hall. Vrana and Siegs moved + Panik waived was enough cap space for Hall @50%.

Then they’d still have kept their first, perhaps for Foligno as a rental (if they could move Panik to somewhere for a second and Colombos retained). Basically the same acquisition cost of Mantha, but for two players. Raffl seems like a plan B/C when they couldn’t get Foligno.

I just don’t see how else they left the Mantha deal so late, after missing out on Hall and Foligno, when they’d been talking to Detroit for a few weeks about Mantha and were clearly done with Vrana.

If they could’ve pulled that off, Hall + Foligno was probably a bigger immediate haul than Mantha + Raffl. But in the long run, I’d rather have Mantha than Hall.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Taylor Hall is looking great in Boston. Wish he would have considered Washington!
Secretly hoping that if Boston doesn't extend him he'll think "f*** it I want a cup" and sign here for $2m/year or something. He's a millionaire many times over, surely at a certain point winning is more important than money?

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Secretly hoping that if Boston doesn't extend him he'll think "f*** it I want a cup" and sign here for $2m/year or something. He's a millionaire many times over, surely at a certain point winning is more important than money?
He's 30 years old. At this point of his career if I was him I would be "f*** the cup" and take the fattest deal on the table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad