League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Season Edition - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't agree with twabby about this, but you asked this question to one of like three people here who always makes arguments in good faith. Really, for your own sake, take a hard look at your own posts and try to grasp at whatever fleeting self-awareness you do have to see the irony here.

Are you saying I'm not sincere in my beliefs? I've been consistent and straightforward, haven't I?

Twabby is ignoring legitimate questions and twisting the facts (playing victim and misrepresenting posting rules) while also repeating specious and slanted logic (like the murder vs hockey angle), blatant evasive deflections (inluding pretending he hasn't been all about offense over/AS defense despite the EK and Kuzy stances), or outright falsehoods (such as repeating the lie that TW "clobbered" Carlo's head into the boards with his hands despite being shown that's not the case). He'll then post "told ya so" comments that aren't apt, just to get a rise, and call anyone who notes these behaviors a troll or "bad faith" (same thing).

This is textbook "bad faith" politician behavior, whether or not that's the intent.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yes, if the hit is illegal then outcomes matter.

It's why killing a person while operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol is punished more severely than a DUI where nobody is killed, and why a sober person following all traffic laws who runs over and kills a kid who jumps out in front of their car is typically not punished.

Forgetting for a second that law and hockey are not close to the same thing, following your train of thought, intent DOES matter in court. There are different tiers of punishment related to the intent behind a potentially criminal act.

As I and others have said many times, the rules allow for just about any hit to be called illegal, potentially after the fact (as was the case with the Carlo hit).

Another example: The ZAR hit was a mutual collision that was shoulder on shoulder and the force is what ultimately created unintended consequences for ZAR. If someone like Kuzy had initiated that exact same hit then the force probably wouldn't have driven through to ZAR's jaw or caused serious injury. So the MAIN DIFFERENCE there is the POWER behind the hit, not the legality of the technique, unless you fall back on the vague and open-ended wording of the rules that may allow the league to punish more powerful hitters.

You basically admitted Wilson had a case to not be punished at all for the ZAR hit because it could be called legal:

Post-Game Talk: - Game #3 CAPITALS @ penguins, 7:30 PM EST

Here you're saying a legal hit that caused a concussion should only result in discipline if the player misses games:

Player Discussion - Tom Wilson, Part 3

Here' you're saying a dirty/illegal hit is ok because the player didn't go to the hospital:

Another where an illegal hit is excused because no time was missed:

BUT...Tom Wilson has a special responsibility because of his size, and injury should be a "major factor" in punishment:

"Incidental" and "accidental" don't matter, Tom Wilson deserves no benefit of the doubt, and Carlo's responsibility for not lowering his head and causing the chain of hands-head-boards is "unreasonable":

Repeat offender Kane KO's Gudas with a blatant elbow that caused injury, was illegal, had intent to injure but you're OK with it being just a fine because Gudas was tough/dumb enough to play the next game through a likely concussion, which you claim to take seriously:

If TW made a legal check with all his force and seriously injured someone there should be no punishment:

Here you're citing ZAR (mentioned above) and Blais. But iirc Blais did not miss any games for a hit similar to Carlo's, yet Wilson was suspended for 4 games despite not being a repeat offender at the time:

So it seems by connecting the dots you're NOT really focused entirely on legality as the major factor, but rather the severity of the injury, but only if it means missed games (though TW's oft-cited track record includes hits with no injury or missed time).

This all seems somewhat inconsistent whether you realize it or not. You're saying TW can hit legally with full force, but you're also saying he needs to dial it back because he's so powerful. You're saying legality is the key, but dismissing illegal hits, or mitigating with "reputation" and unique power as the deciding factor (though not with other legal moves like slappers).

Regardless, you totally ignored the facts presented to you regarding assumption of risk, and how laws to govern society are not parallel to the rules of a violent sport played by grown professionals. The former is much more complex than the latter, which carries an assumption of risk surrounding violent contact and injury, as well as "accidental" or "incidental" contact that causes injuries which are out of the players' control. Yet those things are "major" factors in punishment.

This does not seem like a fair way to handle things.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Forgetting for a second that law and hockey are not close to the same thing, following your train of thought, intent DOES matter in court. There are different tiers of punishment related to the intent behind a potentially criminal act.

As I and others have said many times, the rules allow for just about any hit to be called illegal, potentially after the fact (as was the case with the Carlo hit).

Another example: The ZAR hit was a mutual collision that was shoulder on shoulder and the force is what ultimately created unintended consequences for ZAR. If someone like Kuzy had initiated that exact same hit then the force probably wouldn't have driven through to ZAR's jaw or caused serious injury. So the MAIN DIFFERENCE there is the POWER behind the hit, not the legality of the technique, unless you fall back on the vague and open-ended wording of the rules that may allow the league to punish more powerful hitters.

You basically admitted Wilson had a case to not be punished at all for the ZAR hit because it could be called legal:

Here you're saying a legal hit that caused a concussion should only result in discipline if the player misses games:

Here' you're saying a dirty/illegal hit is ok because the player didn't go to the hospital:

Another where an illegal hit is excused because no time was missed:

BUT...Tom Wilson has a special responsibility because of his size, and injury should be a "major factor" in punishment:

"Incidental" and "accidental" don't matter, Tom Wilson deserves no benefit of the doubt, and Carlo's responsibility for not lowering his head and causing the chain of hands-head-boards is "unreasonable":

Repeat offender Kane KO's Gudas with a blatant elbow that caused injury, was illegal, had intent to injure but you're OK with it being just a fine because Gudas was tough/dumb enough to play the next game through a likely concussion, which you claim to take seriously:

If TW made a legal check with all his force and seriously injured someone there should be no punishment:

Here you're citing ZAR (mentioned above) and Blais. But iirc Blais did not miss any games for a hit similar to Carlo's, yet Wilson was suspended for 4 games despite not being a repeat offender at the time:

So it seems by connecting the dots you're NOT really focused entirely on legality as the major factor, but rather the severity of the injury, but only if it means missed games (though TW's oft-cited track record includes hits with no injury or missed time).

This all seems somewhat inconsistent whether you realize it or not. You're saying TW can hit legally with full force, but you're also saying he needs to dial it back because he's so powerful. You're saying legality is the key, but dismissing illegal hits, or mitigating with "reputation" and unique power as the deciding factor (though not with other legal moves like slappers).

Regardless, you totally ignored the facts presented to you regarding assumption of risk, and how laws to govern society are not parallel to the rules of a violent sport played by grown professionals. The former is much more complex than the latter, which carries an assumption of risk surrounding violent contact and injury, as well as "accidental" or "incidental" contact that causes injuries which are out of the players' control. Yet those things are "major" factors in punishment.

This does not seem like a fair way to handle things.

None of what you said, especially the bolded, follows from my past quotes that you cited. I never said intent doesn't matter, I said results (injury) also matter. You are arguing against a position I haven't taken.

You and I disagree with the legality of the hit on Carlo. That's fine. I thought Carlo was likely defenseless enough for the hit to be considered boarding, as did the NHL, and you think otherwise. I also said that since there is some level of doubt about the defenseless nature of Carlo, the NHL should not have thrown the book at Wilson (20+ games). And they didn't, they only gave him 7.

Regarding the Wilson hit on ZAR, here's my follow-up post:

I’m satisfied with the decision. The severity of the injury, his repeat offender status, and the video breakdown made it seem like 3 games was appropriate. I initially thought he shouldn’t be suspended but they actually introduced a new angle showing how much of the head he hit on initial contact.

And here is the video:

The blue line camera made it clear that he made initial contact through the head of ZAR, not the shoulder. There's really nothing vague about it, and unlike you when I am presented with new evidence I am willing to change my opinion rather than stubbornly sticking with my initial assessment that it was "a mutual collision that was shoulder on shoulder and the force is what ultimately created unintended consequences for ZAR."

It's a really simple: was the hit legal? If so, no suspension. If it was illegal, then yes injury should play a factor. As should past history.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
@txpd your “point” in the GDT was that teams aren’t targeting Fox, and you made that “point” by comparing him to a two time Norris finalist. I “ignored it” because you’re blind if you think teams aren’t trying to attack any puck carrying D in the league, and you’re also blind if you think Fox and Mike Green are particularly similar. Fox is an elite player for more than just his point totals, and this isn’t a dig on Green. Fox has taken just one penalty in his past 26 games. He’s incredibly good positionally, and incredibly good in terms of awareness. He doesn’t get himself isolated or caught out of position frequently. Since I know you don’t put any faith in defensive metrics, just watch a couple more Rangers game. The kid is the real deal, and anyone scoffing at that concept is out to lunch.

Opponents adjust. The search for a hole in your game and attack it. In every sport. In almost every case there is a hole there to be exposed. The question always is can the player in question adjust himself. We have seen this with Ovechkin. We have seen this recently with Juan Soto.

Fox is barely over 100 NHL games. He can be both the real deal and be successfully attacked. Time will tell and that is the point.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
None of what you said, especially the bolded, follows from my past quotes that you cited. I never said intent doesn't matter, I said results (injury) also matter. You are arguing against a position I haven't taken.

You and I disagree with the legality of the hit on Carlo. That's fine. I thought Carlo was likely defenseless enough for the hit to be considered boarding, as did the NHL, and you think otherwise. I also said that since there is some level of doubt about the defenseless nature of Carlo, the NHL should not have thrown the book at Wilson (20+ games). And they didn't, they only gave him 7.

Regarding the Wilson hit on ZAR, here's my follow-up post:

And here is the video:

The blue line camera made it clear that he made initial contact through the head of ZAR, not the shoulder. There's really nothing vague about it, and unlike you when I am presented with new evidence I am willing to change my opinion rather than stubbornly sticking with my initial assessment that it was "a mutual collision that was shoulder on shoulder and the force is what ultimately created unintended consequences for ZAR."

It's a really simple: was the hit legal? If so, no suspension. If it was illegal, then yes injury should play a factor. As should past history.

Following our conversation with moderators agreeing to disagree at this point.

Moving on.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

crab

Jan 26, 2019
I’m enjoying this thread.

394.jpg

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Pens Bruins at 1pm on NHLN. Good chance we face one of them in the 1st round of the playoffs. Lets go no OT LOL

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Of the likely teams to make the postseason Pittsburgh is very much the team I think the Capitals will match up best against.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
We havent really played them well this season

They haven't really played them poorly either, and many of their games were early in the season when the team was still getting accustomed to Laviolette's system. 3 of their losses were in OT/SO, 1 loss was in regulation, and their two wins were both in regulation.

The Bruins and the Islanders are the likely other playoff teams in the East. I think Boston is vulnerable, but not as much as Pittsburgh, and the Islanders will be the toughest out IMO.

Pittsburgh's blue line also seems by far the weakest of the three other teams likely to make the playoffs in the East

Reactions: VaCaps Fan and crab

crab

Jan 26, 2019
They haven't really played them poorly either, and many of their games were early in the season when the team was still getting accustomed to Laviolette's system. 3 of their losses were in OT/SO, 1 loss was in regulation, and their two wins were both in regulation.

The Bruins and the Islanders are the likely other playoff teams in the East. I think Boston is vulnerable, but not as much as Pittsburgh, and the Islanders will be the toughest out IMO.

Pittsburgh's blue line also seems by far the weakest of the three other teams likely to make the playoffs in the East

Ya I tend to agree. They also tend to put more effort against the Penguins then other teams. If they can get decent goaltending they should be able to get by them pretty easily.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I recall we said "we want the Pens, their d-men suck" a few years ago and they rolled us in the playoffs and won the Cup.

Then to win the Cup ourselves we just took on the top teams and won a lot of road games. So I guess we'll see.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
This is one of my favorites. Would rather lose to the Pens than win without playing them. I choose the easiest path. Thank you

You’re a Caps fan correct? Have they ever made anything easy in the playoffs lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad