League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Season Edition - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The cup and being capable of drafting well late in the draft are not mutually exclusive things. In fact sometimes they are actually interdependent.

In the last 10 years the Wild have drafted a total of 307 NHL games after the 3rd round. Nick Seeler is the only one to have skated more then 100 games(105). The Capitals beat that in one draft with Connor Carrick and Christian Djoos. In total during that stretch the Caps have drafted 490 NHL games after the 3rd round. Keeping in mind how many of those draft picks they had traded in that period. Wild 42. Caps 37

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
In the last 10 years the Wild have drafted a total of 307 NHL games after the 3rd round. Nick Seeler is the only one to have skated more then 100 games(105). The Capitals beat that in one draft with Connor Carrick and Christian Djoos. In total during that stretch the Caps have drafted 490 NHL games after the 3rd round. Keeping in mind how many of those draft picks they had traded in that period. Wild 42. Caps 37
Yeah but I wasn't talking about scrubs like Djoos and Carrick who have been lucky to play any games in the NHL as well as Nick Seeler. I'm talking about players of whole another level. All players mentioned by you are absolutely, totally and unconditionally irrelevant to the topic but keep going.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yeah but I wasn't talking about scrubs like Djoos and Carrick who have been lucky to play any games in the NHL as well as Nick Seeler. I'm talking about players of whole another level. All players mentioned by you are absolutely, totally and unconditionally irrelevant to the topic but keep going.
So the Wild found one late-round star ever and for you that's evidence that they're great drafters and the Caps are poop?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Well, its not. I mentioned Bondra who is borderline Hall of Fame. The Wild is so good at this that they have only gotten the one player for 25 games or something. Otherwise they have gotten nothing.

The Naval Academy one time recruited a 6-5 forward who didnt have much other division one basketball interest. He signed. When he showed up for the first day at the Academy he was a 7-1 dominant future hall of fame center. Why hasnt Navy done that more often?

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
So the Wild found one late-round star ever and for you that's evidence that they're great drafters and the Caps are poop?
I don't know how did you come to this conclusion. Wild is a random franchise and Kaprizov is a random star level skater. I can bring up any team that drafted a star late in the draft in the last decade, the point would be the same. The Caps picks past the first 2 rounds are a waste of time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't know how did you come to this conclusion. Wild is a random franchise and Kaprizov is a random star level skater. I can bring up any team that drafted a star late in the draft in the last decade, the point would be the same. The Caps picks past the first 2 rounds are a waste of time.

They are a waste of time for most teams. Its called rolling the dice. A second round pick is more than likely nothing. Djoos played every night on a cup team.

I looked at the Kings, Hawks and Pens.

Going back the 2nd most number of games in the NHL played by a draft pick after the 3rd round is Nic Dowd. No stars. The Blackhawks big name was Andrew Shaw. The Pens was Jake Muzzin who never played a game for the Pens.

I would suggest that undrafted Nate Schmidt is better than all those guys

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Man you all are all over Melkor aren’t you? [mod edit]

all he said was...

“Wish the Caps were capable enough to draft at least one such guy that late.”

that’s a statement of wanting something. He didn’t poop on the last 10 years of Caps drafting, or wish to trade a Cup for a late round gem.....jeez....all the guy basically said is, I wish we could get so lucky. You know what....I’d like that too.....anyone else wish we would not find any late draft stars?

Maybe the word “capable” made you all mad...I half chalked it up to a language thing....the other 50% I brushed off as Melkor just in case. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Melkor

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Man you all are all over Melkor aren’t you?

all he said was...

that’s a statement of wanting something. He didn’t poop on the last 10 years of Caps drafting, or wish to trade a Cup for a late round gem.....jeez....all the guy basically said is, I wish we could get so lucky. You know what....I’d like that too.....anyone else wish we would not find any late draft stars?

Maybe the word “capable” made you all mad...I half chalked it up to a language thing....the other 50% I brushed off as Melkor just in case. ;)
My language isn't perfect by any means but I believe I know what "capable" means and meant just that. But I appreciate the support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
This is part of why I don’t much care about the individual star awards this season. It doesn’t feel like an equal playing field. In my mind, you almost need to recognize the leaders for each “league”, as they lack of crossover games dilutes it a lot. You don’t compare a WHL player to an OHL player to College, etc etc etc. I know that’s not exactly apples to oranges, but you get my drift. The Canadian division is truly worse than the other 3, with some really bad defenses.

I do care that Caps players get their own talkies for career statistics, but chasing the Canadian teams offensive guys just isn’t logical. There is a reason 5 of the top 6 scorers are in Canadian teams.

I feel so stupid. I've been comparing this season to things like the Champions League and completely forgetting that there's already a hockey precedent that realizes one master scoring list and trophy for three separate leagues is a stupid thing to do.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Don’t try to combat a pessimist rant with facts.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
First Canadian division representative have to lose in playoffs convincingly. Then you can maybe talk about their weaknesses.
That’s not the point man. Their top 2 teams “may” be as potent as the other divisions. But their overall quality (bottom 3-4) is bad.

You can disagree and I’m good with it. But statistically, it will bear out

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
You are saying “wish the Caps had been smart”. But that’s the point. How many teams weren’t smart??. How many teams passed on this player how many times in that draft?

you are awfully good at Monday Morning Quarterbacking.

kudos on that talent

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Great point. None of the current or former (last 15yrs) Caps were drafted after the 2nd round.

you’ve got us all. So smart you are. We are not, for obviously missing this incredibly important point. None of us saw this.

wow!!!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Man you all are all over Melkor aren’t you? [mod edit]

all he said was...

I appreciate you coming to his defense. I really do.

But I read this as a take that the Caps can’t draft beyond the 2nd round.

Is that a stance that we really need to defend??

Reactions: Calicaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I appreciate you coming to his defense. I really do.

But I read this as a take that the Caps can’t draft beyond the 2nd round.

Is that a stance that we really need to defend??

he did say that when further pressured under assault lol...

I don’t love their record after the 2nd/3rd either....oh well.

Maybe Twabby can finally provide a useful analysis ;)....I’d trust the numbers much more in this Caps vs the league. If I had to guess I’d be surprised if we were doing great, but who knows lol...

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
he did say that when further pressured under assault lol...

I don’t love their record after the 2nd/3rd either....oh well.

Maybe Twabby can finally provide a useful analysis ;)....I’d trust the numbers much more in this Caps vs the league. If I had to guess I’d be surprised if we were doing great, but who knows lol...

Numbers can't be trusted, use your eye test.

(I don't feel like looking it up on my phone right now, maybe later)

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad