League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Season Edition - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Watched a replay of the goal Conno scored last night (finally back in the lineup). He barely lifted his stick to celebrate, but just breathed this huge sigh and looked skyward. Looks like it’s been a tough few weeks for him

Reactions: HecticGlow

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I fully expect the league to hand down some sort of supplemental discipline because the DoPs is full of such upstanding citizens who are protecting the overall health and safety of the players.

In all reality, he won’t get a call because it’s McDavid and there’s a double standard for Canada’s golden child who’s leading the league in points.

Reactions: Calicaps

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Seems like a fineable hit at worst.
That’s only fineable to you?

He takes 4 strides after the puck is gone to make the hit. He literally swings his entire upper body from left to right to get as much momentum and force as possible to swing at the head area. Thank god Kotkaniemi (yes I copy and pasted his name lol) was in more of an upright position after making the pass or that could have been a lot worse.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
That’s only fineable to you?

He takes 4 strides after the puck is gone to make the hit. He literally swings his entire upper body from left to right to get as much momentum and force as possible to swing at the head area. Thank god Kotkaniemi (yes I copy and pasted his name lol) was in more of an upright position after making the pass or that could have been a lot worse.

Yes. It's certainly a penalty for elbowing, and I could get behind two separate minor penalties for elbowing and interference. A "knock it off" fine is also probably warranted. And the benefit of the doubt given to McDavid should be lessened for future incidents.

But he was clearly targeting the shoulder, Kotkaniemi's shoulder absorbed most of the impact, and his elbow didn't make significant contact with the head (though it did make some impact, which is why I think a minor penalty is warranted). He also didn't injure Kotkaniemi, and indeed I don't think he missed a shift.

A fine seems like a proper punishment.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
But he was clearly targeting the shoulder, Kotkaniemi's shoulder absorbed most of the impact, and his elbow didn't make significant contact with the head (though it did make some impact, which is why I think a minor penalty is warranted). He also didn't injure Kotkaniemi, and indeed I don't think he missed a shift.

A fine seems like a proper punishment.
This seems highly hypocritical considering you were one of the leaders of the Wilson targeting the head crusade a few weeks back. Most posters argued that Wilson’s initial point of contact wasn’t the head but the follow through was what resulted in the head contact. The hits aren’t exactly the same but they are similar in that regard.

Whether he was targeting the shoulder or not, he still made significant contact with the neck/head area of Kotkaniemi. The league has made it clear that they aren’t going to tolerate those types of hits anymore. At least that was the argument for the last few weeks after the Wilson incident. If that’s indeed the case, they should absolutely sit McDavid for a game to get a suspension history started for him.

Reactions: g00n

Jun 15, 2007
God the NHL is so lame. Front page: Crosby the "Hart favorite in the East." WTF?

Who else should it be? Panarin is a good shout but Rangers are not in playoff position. Wash/NYI is more by committee. Malkin is out and Crosby is shouldering the load alone.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
This seems highly hypocritical considering you were one of the leaders of the Wilson targeting the head crusade a few weeks back. Most posters argued that Wilson’s initial point of contact wasn’t the head but the follow through was what resulted in the head contact. The hits aren’t exactly the same but they are similar in that regard.

Whether he was targeting the shoulder or not, he still made significant contact with the neck/head area of Kotkaniemi. The league has made it clear that they aren’t going to tolerate those types of hits anymore. At least that was the argument for the last few weeks after the Wilson incident. If that’s indeed the case, they should absolutely sit McDavid for a game to get a suspension history started for him.

I didn't say Wilson targeted the head, I said there was significant head contact and that he clobbered Brandon Carlo's head into the boards violently. Brandon Carlo was also injured for several weeks with a concussion.

Connor McDavid applied much less force to the head, did not slam his head into the boards, and did not injure Kotkaniemi. His history is also significantly less than Wilson's, only being suspended once in his career compared to Tom Wilson's extensive history prior to his hit on Carlo.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I didn't say Wilson targeted the head, I said there was significant head contact and that he clobbered Brandon Carlo's head into the boards violently. Brandon Carlo was also injured for several weeks with a concussion.

Connor McDavid applied much less force to the head, did not slam his head into the boards, and did not injure Kotkaniemi. His history is also significantly less than Wilson's, only being suspended once in his career compared to Tom Wilson's extensive history prior to his hit on Carlo.
Jesus christ

Okay just so I'm clear, the outcome DOES matter and the intent DOES NOT.

Got it

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
This outcome bullshit is for women and soft boys.

The danger is a significant part of what makes it entertaining. If I want to watch a skating and stick handling contest I'll f***ing YouTube it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
They both matter, and both should matter.

Yet you didn't give a f*** that Wilson didn't intend to injure, or target the head, and that Carlo's lowering of the head to chest level is what caused Wilson's tucked hands to even be anywhere near Carlo's dome.

K

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Yet you didn't give a f*** that Wilson didn't intend to injure, or target the head, and that Carlo's lowering of the head to chest level is what caused Wilson's tucked hands to even be anywhere near Carlo's dome.

K

Wilson not intending to clobber Carlo in the head is why I think 7 games was a fair punishment. Otherwise, I think 20+ games would have been a more fitting punishment.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Wow. :facepalm: What century do you live in?

d5fa880f38ec29c0585d4f44ddb7eb03.jpg

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad