League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Season Edition - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
East Division is getting interesting.

Flyers win again, and now sit a point back of Boston and that 4th playoff spot once more. Bruins still have games in hand.

Odd that NYR are right behind the Flyers but the goal differential is reversed. Rongos are +15 but the Flyers are right above them at -17. A few goals either side of zero is not a big deal, but that's a HUGE swing.

Weird thing is NYR did something similar last year and rather than right the ship they finished lower than their goal-diff would suggest. Which should give Flyers fans some hope. For now.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Flyers win again, and now sit a point back of Boston and that 4th playoff spot once more. Bruins still have games in hand.

Odd that NYR are right behind the Flyers but the goal differential is reversed. Rongos are +15 but the Flyers are right above them at -17. A few goals either side of zero is not a big deal, but that's a HUGE swing.

Weird thing is NYR did something similar last year and rather than right the ship they finished lower than their goal-diff would suggest. Which should give Flyers fans some hope. For now.

The weird goal differential is because the NYR has scored 293737280 bazillion goals against those Flyers haha

crab

Jan 26, 2019

Those two blowouts by the Rangers over Flyers led to a 14 goal swing. Still odd as you noted.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Well, I know we can claim small sample size, BUT 2 of their games were 17-3 which is pretty much the entire spread you speak of.

so... I fully get that they happened. But it’s what’s skewing both teams numbers on it own.

EDIT — forget it. I am SO late to this party.

Last edited:
Reactions: tenken00

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I'm not sure why people are talking about the Pens 18 game winless streak? It is not even close to the worst.

The Caps have 20 and 25.
The longest ever is Winnipeg with 30.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Lol. In the you know who 1300 point thread on the mains, I said that when all is said and done that Ovie would be the greatest player at his position ever. This is something that no Center will ever be able to say as they'd be a distant third, at best.

I was told that comparing Ovechkin to you know who was like comparing Mark Brunell to Steve Young. :huh:

The mains never fail to entertain with their outright stupidity. :laugh:
Couldn't even call the man Brad Johnson... that's just disrespect.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I was watching some youtube vids of players trash talking, chirping etc:

Konecny has a big mouth and is a real douche-bag. I'd like to see somebody smack him down.

A couple of funny ones with Claude Giroux: back when Kessel was still with the Leafs, Giroux asking Kessel how much Coke he drank today and making fun of his weight. Yelp - fast forward. Kessel 3 Cups, Giroux basically never won a thing.

Giroux making bird noises (cheep cheep) at JVR (have no idea why). Now they are team mates :laugh:

Reactions: itsjustsurvival

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Ekblad has a left leg fracture and is out for the year. At least it wasn’t some kind of tear, but still tough news for a guy having a very good year

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
I was watching some youtube vids of players trash talking, chirping etc:

Konecny has a big mouth and is a real douche-bag. I'd like to see somebody smack him down.

A couple of funny ones with Claude Giroux: back when Kessel was still with the Leafs, Giroux asking Kessel how much Coke he drank today and making fun of his weight. Yelp - fast forward. Kessel 3 Cups, Giroux basically never won a thing.

Giroux making bird noises (cheep cheep) at JVR (have no idea why). Now they are team mates :laugh:

Konecny is a rat, but also one of my favorite players in the league. Very entertaining player. Sucks he’s on a division rival.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I find it funny how every year people make threads about the Pens and Crosby/Malkin being done and then like clockwork, every year they find their grove and get going. That's what good, veteran teams do. It's always a weird dynamic in those threads with Caps and Pens fans both defending the Pens.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
tell that to the ghost of Kempny
What? Kempny tore the hamstring off his bone and then tore his Achilles. What does he have to do with a broken tib/fib or wrecked knee? And if anything, it makes my point stronger. Speaking from experience as someone who has had reconstructive surgeries on multiple joints and suffered multiple broken bones, the rehab for a broken bone is a walk in a park compared to making your joint become a joint again.
Kempny suffered a torn thigh muscle just prior to the start of the 2019 playoffs. The injury also required surgery and an extremely arduous summer of rehabilitation. This month’s injury occurred to the Achilles on the same leg that suffered the thigh injury.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
IMO it's their system, they can throw most any Baby Pen out there and they're jumping right in. As much as their fans say Sullivan needs to go, he has a well established style that works as long as they put in the effort
Malkin's been out for awhile, last night vs. NYI Crosby was mostly invisible
It's their aggressive forecheck/take time and space away/on you in a heartbeat/North-South style that is simple and effective
They've been one of the hottest teams for 15 games+ and mostly without Malkin/Kapanen/Zucker/McCann, they've also gone a bunch of consecutive games with 3 or less GA (12 or so can't r'memba)

I find it funny how every year people make threads about the Pens and Crosby/Malkin being done and then like clockwork, every year they find their grove and get going. That's what good, veteran teams do. It's always a weird dynamic in those threads with Caps and Pens fans both defending the Pens.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Definitely not a bigger surprise than the DeAngelo debacle. Although the reason for abandoning him was legit TDA is a better player than Ghost by a fair margin.

Also this:

I can see Johnny Hockey going to Philly in said deal. Left handed Briere would come in handy for that squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad