League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Didn't they offer to burn a year on his ELC, letting him hit RFA one year earlier, something usually only done for prospects you really want to sign?

I feel like that’s a pretty common move now….I think they wanted to sign him, and haven’t lost sleep over it since it went the other way. Same with DiPauli.

Last edited:

JustAnotherHockeyFan

Jul 28, 2021
Yet again an NHL team could have greatly benefited from paying someone not a lot of money to say, “Bad idea, don’t do that.” Instead, they sign Nurse to this contract which is probably $2M/year more than he deserves.

What's their alternative? Spend the rest of McDavid and Drasaitl's contracts while their versions of Fehervary, Alexeyev and Johansen figure out how to play D at the NHL level? That's worth saving a little under a Carl Hagelin worth of money over? Reminds me of McPhee being careful not to overpay for a Pronger or Chara and look like a fool while Ovechkin and Backstrom were top 5 players in the league.

Like, what would anyone else actually do instead, given that it's Edmonton and they're on most of the league's NTCs and no 1D would want to come there through the UFA route. Nurse anchored their D last year and was good enough at it and is very irreplaceable for them given all the factors.

Now the Hyman and Ceci contracts, those are bad (and almost as much as what Nurse makes)

Reactions: um

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
Didn't they offer to burn a year on his ELC, letting him hit RFA one year earlier, something usually only done for prospects you really want to sign?
It doesn't even matter. Whether they tried or tried very hard, they wanted to sign him. They clearly thought he was worth signing and did not decide to let him go.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Reminds me of McPhee being careful not to overpay for a Pronger or Chara and look like a fool while Ovechkin and Backstrom were top 5 players in the league.

I think the Caps win the cup with Pronger that season, but that trade might have been Varlamov, Carlson and the pick they used for Johansson.

JustAnotherHockeyFan

Jul 28, 2021
I think the Caps win the cup with Pronger that season, but that trade might have been Varlamov, Carlson and the pick they used for Johansson.

I meant in terms for not going for it when your stars are in their prime and only have 3-4 years left until they may well pack their shit and leave. But for them its not even about pushing for a cup but remaining a playoff team with a punchers chance vs becoming a bottom feeder

Without Nurse, Edmonton's defense is Keith, Barrie, Bouchard and whatever guys like Samorukov, Lagersson, Broberg amount to. I guess Ceci is on that roster as well now. It's like our 2021 defense minus Dmitry Orlov, but somehow even worse. Losing Nurse meant they were basically done as a competitive team under McDavid/Drasaitl unless they scored a trade/FA #1 (Not happening, they're Edmonton) or developed cup caliber defensemen out of Broberg, Bouchard, Samorukov or Lagersson over the next year or two. Also not happening.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
We should go 5x5 fight them again. Even if Reeves is going to prevail against Wilson, it will be funny to see other Rangers beaten. Just show some spirit.

Imagine Ovi knocking out Panarin on the same shift Reeves instigate Wilson. Ok, next shift, if they dont match.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
These 'articles' are so damn.... silly. By that I mean,,, they dont even factually represent what happened in that 'scrum', (not to mention that they contradict themselves as well).
Oh well... I guess reality is confounding for some people. Play on.

Ive seen it. Its true. There's proof all over the place. Wilson shot Panarin in the head with a 9m hidden in his hockey pants. Only a luck deflection off his visor saved him from instant death. Panarin may miss some of training camp with an upper body injury.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Nice to see The Krak are shaping up since FA... Grubaru, Schwartz, Wennberg, Marge, not bad

Still don't know who's gonna pot 20+ for them but G is solid, D is solid, and they now have 12 F's that can play;
obv. a glut of bottom 6/middle 6 F's but adding Grub/Schw/Wenn brings them up to a respectable lineup finally
Let's see if they can bring in a legit scoring threat before Camp

XLqBBNS.jpg

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe

If Hart turns it around, it’s a good contract. If not… $4million a year with Martin Jones on the bench…

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The "Vrana will be more expensive than Mantha" crowd just got a reality check. His ask in arbitration is still just Mantha's salary, so the settlement will be significantly less.
Well, his AAV, but did anyone believe Vrana's RFA seasons would come in higher than Mantha's AAV (half of which are UFA seasons)? Mantha's highest RFA season salary is $5.3M and Vrana should be able to beat that in arbitration. His ask is a pretty fair outside of general TOI/usage but boxcar production should land him in that ballpark. It's more that a longer-term extension could have been slightly higher depending on length. But, of course, he was unable to solidify himself to warrant that security/commitment from them. Detroit should give him some term (4yrs or more) at around $6M. They have oodles of cap space and will be handing him tons of opportunity. No reason for this to get to arbitration IMO.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Vrana didn't want to get with the program so regardless moving him was the choice to be made.

Agreed. I don't care about either guy's paycheck. I'd rather have Mantha than a guy with Vrana's attitude issues. I hope he matures and puts all that behind him, but we were way beyond "Fool me once..." territory with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad