League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm still wary. Feel like things have looked bad for them early in the season for the past few years but they have managed to magically turn it around every time. The division does look brutally competitive this year though, so maybe they'll have a harder time.

I dont disagree. My comment was specific to their current available roster which has been overperforming. By playoffs, they should long since have had a return to their healthy lineup.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Paquette just took out Zegras and got a major. He's going to get a call from Nic Deslauriers the next game i'd imagine.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'm still wary. Feel like things have looked bad for them early in the season for the past few years but they have managed to magically turn it around every time. The division does look brutally competitive this year though, so maybe they'll have a harder time.

I never rule them out. Right when I do, someone like Teddy Blueger will score 50 or 60 goals and save their season. They have a talent for finding guys to call up from the AHL.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think the whole Blackhawks saga is another example of why I’m not really the biggest proponent of relying on intangibles to judge a player.

Jonathan Toews for years has been touted as “Captain Intangibles” and one of the best leaders in the NHL, if not all of professional sports. Chicago’s success has been in large part attributed to Toews and his intangibles he brings.

But knowing what we know now it’s clear that Toews is one of the worst leaders in all of the NHL, if not all of professional sports. There’s no denying this fact: either he (a) knew about the sexual abuse happening to his teammate, did nothing about it, and has repeatedly lied about his knowledge of the situation, or (b) was unaware of this happening despite much of the team and staff knowing about it. Either way he’s a clueless captain at best, or more likely just a rotten person with no real leadership at all.

I don’t think we can reconcile what we know for a fact, that Toews is a horrible captain with no leadership qualities, with the idea that Chicago won their 3 Cups in large part because of Toews’s leadership. In reality, it seems much more likely that Chicago won because of the tangible aspects on their roster: namely that they had a bunch of really good on-ice talent on their roster, including Toews.

Last edited:
Reactions: crab and Hivemind

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
upload_2021-11-1_16-43-11.gif

The Blackhawks sorry lack of accountability and general human decency does not support your disbelief in intangibles…..next.

Of course they had a supremely talented roster.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think the whole Blackhawks saga is another example of why I’m not really the biggest proponent of relying on intangibles to judge a player.

Jonathan Toews for years has been touted as “Captain Intangibles” and one of the best leaders in the NHL, if not all of professional sports. Chicago’s success has been in large part attributed to Toews and his intangibles he brings.

But knowing what we know now it’s clear that Toews is one of the worst leaders in all of the NHL, if not all of professional sports. There’s no denying this fact: either he (a) knew about the sexual abuse happening to his teammate, did nothing about it, and has repeatedly lied about his knowledge of the situation, or (b) was unaware of this happening despite much of the team and staff knowing about it. Either way he’s a clueless captain at best, or more likely just a rotten person with no real leadership at all.

I don’t think we can reconcile what we know for a fact, that Toews is a horrible captain with no leadership qualities, with the idea that Chicago won their 3 Cups in large part because of Toews’s leadership. In reality, it seems much more likely that Chicago won because of the tangible aspects on their roster: namely that they had a bunch of really good on-ice talent on their roster, including Toews.

The player has the intangibles or he doesnt. If you think Anthony Mantha is as good for the Capitals with the same numbers as TJ Oshie, you are just wrong.

As for Toews, you can be a great leader with associated intangibles and be a scumbag at the same time.

https:%2F%2Fstarsandsticks.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F1191948373.jpeg

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You dont have to be the team captain or even a star player to be the intangible glue or inspiration that drives a team to a championship.

gerardo-parra.jpg

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Also... on ice leadership and off ice leadership, are not always the same thing.

But yeah, the "Toews has intangibles" is just fancy speak for "his stats aren't all that great".

But they were great when it mattered most, when they were winning 3 Cups.

137 postseason games, 119 pts.

Not even defending the guy, just that his on-ice resume speaks for itself IMO.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Right, and these point totals are a big reason why they won. His leadership: probably not so much!

Hard to say, none of us were in the room during those runs.

I appreciate the attempt to rewrite history, but his on-ice resume seems fairly cemented. Call him scum or whatever off ice…and leave it there IMO.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Rangers give fox 9.5 extension. That Has to be close to all their Space. Can they even afford to keep big Z

They already locked Zibanejad up.

Fox’s contract is a fantastic deal for the Rangers. It can’t be overstated how good Adam Fox his. He’s had no dropoff in play since his Norris year last year, and he’ll probably contend for several more.

It does make the Seth Jones and Darnell Nurse contracts look hilarious though, even if they are both UFA contracts.

Reactions: crab
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad