League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 TDL Edition - Vol. 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Islanders, Jackets, and Hurricanes all tied in points and ROW. Quite the wildcard race

Tortarella should cruise to the Jack Adams Award. Most people thought they'd take a step back this year and that was before his team was decimated by injuries.

This is his lineup right now. Nathan Gerbe, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Cam Atkinson, Seth Jones, Dean Kukan, Alex Texier, Ryan Anderson, and Brandon Dubinsky all out long term or for the season. Elvis Merzlikins and Ryan Murray also out right now. Alex Werensky missed an extended period of time this year as well. That they're tied with the Islanders and Hurricanes for a wildcard spot is a testament to them and their resilience, or an indictment on the Islanders and Hurricanes. Or both.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Penguins play all the 3 teams who are chasing them next week and the 4th game is against Devils who have points in 8 of their last 10. If they can't pick it up they will lose their playoff spot soon.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Penguins play all the 3 teams who are chasing them next week and the 4th game is against Devils who have points in 8 of their last 10. If they can't pick it up they will lose their playoff spot soon.

They got humiliated twice over the weekend in their barn. 2-8 in their last 10. I would not mind facing them in the first round, at all.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Meh good for them but I think we've learned that most NCAA UFAs really aren't great. Hampus Gustafsson, Mason Mitchell, Kris Bindulis, and Adam Carlson are either in the ECHL or overseas. Thomas DiPauli is Europe bound with this one 20 point AHL season and 2 career NHL games over 4 seasons in Pittsburgh's organization.

Jury is still out on Pinho, Gersich, Snively and Nardella in Hershey and Priskie in Florida's system.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Meh good for them but I think we've learned that most NCAA UFAs really aren't great. Hampus Gustafsson, Mason Mitchell, Kris Bindulis, and Adam Carlson are either in the ECHL or overseas. Thomas DiPauli is Europe bound with this one 20 point AHL season and 2 career NHL games over 4 seasons in Pittsburgh's organization.

Jury is still out on Pinho, Gersich, Snively and Nardella in Hershey and Priskie in Florida's system.
Most prospects in general aren't great. It all depends on how good your amateur scoutng is to choose them properly.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009

Then there is Nate Schmidt. Your point still taken though. Undrafteds rarely turn out.

I may be wrong but wasn’t DiPauli actually drafted and refused to sign? Just checked, 4th rounder. That’s why I remember him being an idiot.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Then there is Nate Schmidt. Your point still taken though. Undrafteds rarely turn out.

I may be wrong but wasn’t DiPauli actually drafted and refused to sign? Just checked, 4th rounder. That’s why I remember him being an idiot.
Yeah Schmidt is the only real gem that Washington hit on so far. I only included Pinho and Gersich because they could have tested UFA coming out of college.

DiPauli refused to sign in Washington and ended up signing in Pittsburgh. Apparently he was a Penguins fan growing up. Ended up working out great for him :laugh:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Most prospects in general aren't great. It all depends on how good your amateur scoutng is to choose them properly.
Would be interesting to see how many NCAA UFAs are "successful" signings. Maybe define a successful signing by playing for a full NHL season or 100 games or something like that

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Priskie was also drafted and didn't sign.

Yeah Schmidt is the only real gem that Washington hit on so far. I only included Pinho and Gersich because they could have tested UFA coming out of college.

Jay Beagle as well.
Going further back and you get Jaff Helpern, too.

FWIW, Garnet Hathaway and Michal Kempny were both UDFA, although obviously not through Washington's system.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Donald Brashear went undrafted and played over 1,000 games. That is wild to me.

Other fun facts about UDFAs:
  • Our boy Adam Oates has the most GP, Assists, and Points as an UDFA in NHL history.
  • The UDFA with the least amount of assists to play a minimum of 100 games? Aaron Volpatti with 2 assists in 114 career games.
  • Only one UDFA has played in over 100 games and never scored a goal: Tom Sestito.
  • The UDFA with the most PIM: Marty McSorley with 3,381 in 961 games. (Side note: how the hell did Marty McSorley almost play 1,000 games?)
  • The most decorated UDFA skater: Martin St Louis
  • The most decorated UDFA goalie: Ed Belfour

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
McSorley is a great example of how the NHL has changed. Imagine a superstar being traded today and requesting a personal bodyguard to be included as part of the deal.

If Connor McDavid was getting traded and behind closed doors wanted his best friend on the team included, and it made sense, nobody would bat an eyelash. McSorley could play...was great in the room and stuck up for his teammates like few could. Was hardly an eye raising inclusion.

Reactions: Calicaps

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Philly down going into 3rd vs Boston and has tb Thursday while we have Detroit. Hoping for caps to stay in first after next few days - they should

Reactions: Heath
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad