League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 Bubble Hockey Edition - Vol. 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Staal is ancient, and I doubt teams were lining up to try to acquire him. The Wild obviously aren't going to contend before Staal's totally done, and they got a serviceable player back.
But Staal is still a better player now, and Johansson has been the one declining ever since he left the Caps. I would get it if it were Staal for picks or if Staal had several years left on his deal, but one for one when both players will be Free Agents in a year is baffling. Staal is the better player at a position of need and costs less money. Real head scratcher for the Wild.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Dean Evason is coach in MIN now. He was here when Mojo was still an up and coming player (first 2 seasons). He probably has that image of Mojo and convinced the front office to pull the trigger.

Reactions: HecticGlow

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Yeah this seems like an easy win for Buffalo. A better cheaper player, and both are UFAs after next year.

Also if Buffalo doesn't contend next year Staal seems like he'd be a much better value at the trade deadline than Johansson would.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Sure just seems like the Wild decided that they won't keep Staal next year when he hits UFA and wanted to clear center spots. Johansson just keeps bouncing around after the Capitals finally traded him.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Of the Wilds recent trade assets, I’m presuming it’s Bjugstad who would be shifting back to center, not Johansson.

MoJo is still a 0.5ppg player when healthy, he just hasn’t been able to stay healthy since leaving Washington.

Minnys moves do seem a bit puzzling, but they’re pretty clearly shuffling a lot of cards at once right now. Been a very active stretch for them, and it’s hard to imagine that they’re done.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
These playoffs have been so underwhelming. The world needs a vaccine because this is a poor substitute for professional sport. Imagine if this is the "new normal"? F*ck this bs
Considering there was a Boston/St. Louis final last season the answer is likely yes. Strong defensive structure is a must these days. With expansion and slow cap growth I'd largely expect these general styles are here to stay for a bit. I could live with it if there was more nastiness and crease work. It's not altogether absent but not nearly as prevalent.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Considering there was a Boston/St. Louis final last season the answer is likely yes. Strong defensive structure is a must these days. With expansion and slow cap growth I'd largely expect these general styles are here to stay for a bit. I could live with it if there was more nastiness and crease work. It's not altogether absent but not nearly as prevalent.

Would still be more enjoyable having actual fans at the games to provide atmosphere. And a full regular season but unfortunately we're not going to get that either.

Here in Australia they have been playing sports for months with crowds at the games. There are limits (I guess 15-20 percent of normal capacity) and there is distancing but it's a helluva lot closer to the real thing.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Yeah like all of them ;)

These playoffs have been so underwhelming. The world needs a vaccine because this is a poor substitute for professional sport. Imagine if this is the "new normal"? F*ck this bs
On the flip side, the NBA playoffs have been absolutely incredible. I'm not even a big NBA fan but it is must watch TV right now.

Tuesday had two unbelievable games back to back and I flip to the ECF after the end of Clippers/Nuggets to see a 2OT Isles-Bolts game with 50 shots total in the game. Yikes

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
On the flip side, the NBA playoffs have been absolutely incredible. I'm not even a big NBA fan but it is must watch TV right now.

Tuesday had two unbelievable games back to back and I flip to the ECF after the end of Clippers/Nuggets to see a 2OT Isles-Bolts game with 50 shots total in the game. Yikes

You're in Melbourne? I guess you're not allowed out of the house :(

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Lol, love it. Don't like the teams remaining, but I'm going for Dallas. Kiviranta a hero so far and would like to see him expand on it. Isles gave the Lightning a scare and now they'll either be tired or super motivated. That said, I think I'll skip the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad