NHL suspends season due to COVID19 - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
It's a bit crazy that someone who I know had it with an interesting story.

Their doctor said "stay home" , they don't give tests... then call work insurance for LTD, and they need a test. In the end she had to go to a testing station. But only because of insurance.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One of my kids is off work with an anxiety issue. Public facing job, terrified to go to work. She's got pre-existing anxiety issues which she manages but you can imagine what this is doing

And it seems that because she voluntarily left her position in the short term, that she's a gap in the overall income support model.

I feel awful for people with anxiety issues. This must be absolutely crippling and terrifying for them. This is why I have been critical of elected officials and others who put this is such apocalyptic terms - I know that they are trying to frighten people like me into compliance, but the unintended consequence is created a lot of mental health issues for many people.

These same politicians are going to be like carnival barkers a few months from now, begging everyone to start traveling and come back to the bars and restaurants, but of course traffic is going to be slow due to the fact that they spent multiple weeks warning people to hide in their basements. I'm not saying that COVID-19 isn't a significant public health threat, as it clearly is. What I am saying is that the effort they put into putting the fear of God into people over low risk activities such as shopping or going for a walk is going to prove to have been way over the top, and will have created a lot of negative, lasting consequences for society as a whole.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
One in five deaths now linked to coronavirus

It now seems that COVID deaths were very much under reported since people who died at home of it were not counted until much later.

Math is hard. No. It’s too hard to phone in deaths? No. It’s too hard to correlate the deaths. Yes.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The second sentence is actually more important......
Personally, I think a picture tells the story pretty well:

_111779182_optimised-mortality-nc.png

Flu season peaks in early to mid Jan, it did this year just as it did in 2015.

Massive increase in weekly deaths with flu season well in the rear-view mirror,

The interesting bit is only about half that spike above average is being linked to COVID so there's something going on that needs more investigation.

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Absolutely True. My bad for asking.
Didn't want to come off as douchey.

What I really meant was that we are at the mercy of our governments decision and whether or not I agree with them or doubt certain things there isn't anything I can do. We just all want a resolution to this thing with the best possible outcome given the circumstances.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Anyone that comes from or transited through China and is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident goes into 14 day isolation at a barracks nearby before they are inflicted on Canadian society. Anyone else has to give up contact information and where they will be staying for the next 14 days and report/self-isolate at first sign of symptoms. 500% tariffs on anything coming from China.

Pull all funding from the WHO until their head is gone. Having some Ethiopian with ties to the Ethiopian government which has ties to the Chinese government has been an unmitigated f***ing disaster. Independent investigation needs to be done at the WHO before funding restored.

For a start.

So, Canadian citizens have some sort of magic way of not catching covid-19? Why only isolate non-citizens here?

We need a WHO. Viruses don't give a damn about imaginary lines on a map.

You do know who pays for any and all tariffs at the end of the day.....right?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What a shitty thing to have injected into your life... Stay in for days on end... have to go out to get food or other things accomplished. Get in the mind set to avoid , avoid ,avoid and get home, wipe everything down, wash your hands 30 times and worry you might have been exposed. I just hate the mindset.. Does my throat hurt? is my nose runnier than usual? Am I coughing more? My eyes have been runny lately.. Am I having mild symptoms? No way to get tested. Wait till we get colds or the flu.

Can always be worse

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
So, Canadian citizens have some sort of magic way of not catching covid-19? Why only isolate non-citizens here?

We need a WHO. Viruses don't give a damn about imaginary lines on a map.

You do know who pays for any and all tariffs at the end of the day.....right?

Lets be clear - Canada does not need the WHO. They have once again failed to investigate and warn of a pandemic that started in f***ing November. They were under immense pressure to declare a global pandemic and refused for a considerable amount of time.

The only value the WHO has right now is as a humanitarian organization for countries that are not Canada. In other words it's nice to help people in impoverished countries who need help. But we can run that money through charities instead of the WHO.

The head of the WHO comes from an authoritarian regime in Ethiopia without a single opposition party member in their parliament. Think about how much worse that is than Russia or Venezuela or Myanmar as comparables. Now people go out and vote, sure but I'm not about to call any of the 4 countries listed as 'democracies' because people go out and vote.

The head of the WHO as head of the WHO named Robert Mugabe a 'goodwill ambassador'. This isn't the Robert Mugabe who just won freedom for blacks. This is the Robert Mugabe that slaughtered all opposition, Robert Mugabe the dictator who lets his people starve to enrich himself and his buddies. Think about that astounding lack of judgement from the head of the WHO. That he appointed Robert Mugabe a goodwill ambassador before bowing to international pressure and revoking it. Why would he do that to begin with? The WHO needs to be investigated and we need to figure out why they're sucking up to dictators from Zimbabwe to China to Iran instead of doing their f***ing job and improving public health, preventing pandemics or if in event of failure... investigating carefully and warning the world about said pandemic.

And no, Canadian citizens and permanent residents aren't immune but they do have more legal protection than non-citizens. Plus they have a vested interest in Canada being a healthy place since they live here.

And finally - yes, I'm aware that it's prices that go up when tariffs are imposed. But with manufacturing shifting to Mexico and other South-East Asian countries and even some of it back to Canada and the United States... it will just shift supply chains and cut out China (which is a good thing).

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
What a shitty thing to have injected into your life... Stay in for days on end... have to go out to get food or other things accomplished. Get in the mind set to avoid , avoid ,avoid and get home, wipe everything down, wash your hands 30 times and worry you might have been exposed. I just hate the mindset.. Does my throat hurt? is my nose runnier than usual? Am I coughing more? My eyes have been runny lately.. Am I having mild symptoms? No way to get tested. Wait till we get colds or the flu.

Can always be worse

it will be interesting in June how we are all feeling. Not looking forward to it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Can always be worse

I have a feeling, the worry and anxiety will eventually kill as many as the virus. This whole thing isn't good for mental or physical health. Going to be a lot of folks with high blood pressure and hypertension and a whole host of other little life-stealers from this.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sometimes i wonder how our health policy might have been different in february if we didn't have two falsely imprisoned citizens in china

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

Can always be worse

that was me a month ago... the vacation surge never came... hospitals are empty...it was more bark then it’s bite

I now go shopping 3 times a week for meat and produce like I used to

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No, they'll just have a tsunami instead. Another 170 dead in Sweden today. Much higher than any day Canada has had so far.

Sweden is calculating that their total fatalities over 12-18 months will be less and they will do less damage to their economy.

Acquiring herd immunity months before countries like Canada could save 1000’s of lives and billions of dollars.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Sweden is calculating that their total fatalities over 12-18 months will be less and they will do less damage to their economy.

Acquiring herd immunity months before countries like Canada could save 1000’s of lives and billions of dollars.
Have you seen projections or a model for Sweden? If so could you provide a link?

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I have a feeling, the worry and anxiety will eventually kill as many as the virus. This whole thing isn't good for mental or physical health. Going to be a lot of folks with high blood pressure and hypertension and a whole host of other little life-stealers from this.
While I'm not sure these things will "kill as many as the virus", I do agree they are very serioius problems.

Was thinking that maybe we should start a "Good Mental Health" thread, where we restrict the discussion to pointers on staying sane and supporting each other.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Have you seen projections or a model for Sweden? If so could you provide a link?

I watched an interview from their minister of health (equivalent). They may end up being wrong but they aren’t “doing nothing”. They have a calculated goal to reduce fatalities and protect the economy like anyone.

Canada is sitting at +600 fatalities but our models predict 20000 or so over 12+ months.

If Sweden ends up with a similar rate of fatalities but half the damage to their economy I think their plan would be a success.

We are already seeing Q fatigue. Our roads are getting busier. Wait until the weather gets nice.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Personally, I think a picture tells the story pretty well:

_111779182_optimised-mortality-nc.png

Flu season peaks in early to mid Jan, it did this year just as it did in 2015.

Massive increase in weekly deaths with flu season well in the rear-view mirror,

The interesting bit is only about half that spike above average is being linked to COVID so there's something going on that needs more investigation.

That graph is pretty telling. I assume the numbers would be similar -- if not worse -- in Italy, Spain, New York State.

Any discussion of whether the virus is being exaggerated by the media, or COVID-19 deaths are being overcounted, or whatever other sceptical position you might take needs to begin with the raw death count and proceed from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad