NHL suspends season due to COVID19 - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It worries me too - I'm in the food industry and while, yes we are taking every precaution manageable, we cannot manage people once they leave. I continue to stress the importance of social distancing and proper hygiene, but every Monday there is the inevitable rumour of the party someone had on the weekend. And now I'm losing more employees to stress and anxiety issues - these are the folks that are debilitated by fear about coming to work - and I understand their concern, ours is not a facility designed to for operation in a pandemic like this. If/when(?) it does get in I can easily see it being passed to 50% of the workforce. That would shut us down. And while ours is not the only facility doing what we do (and we aren't making fruit roll-ups), it would impact grocery store shelves.

I hear you. Our warehouse is the same way.

First it was massive and crazy orders and sell thru ...now it's the supply chains desperately trying to find something to move. And now a lot of the "panic buying" is over just as places are ramping up their orders again. That alone is putting a massive strain on the workers. Add in the worries over this virus...nearly everyone has a family member who is either a senior, or has some sort of health problem that makes them susceptible to the virus.

I find everyone is in the same boat. Not working their best, worried, and difficulty being able to concentrate well on the job....and a hard time explaining how exactly they feel. It's like there's an invisible enemy or block in the mind, and it's almost impossible to describe it. But when a person starts to talk, you can feel it in their voice...the same feelings we're all having right now.

And yes, whenever there's a seasonal flu or cold or anything, it just torpedoes through the building like wildfire. There's a bit of resignation that it's only a matter of time before it hits.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
That right there, is the mentality that causes people to start wars.

"Somebody" always needs to pay, and how exactly should China pay for this you think? Money...or blood?

Anyone that comes from or transited through China and is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident goes into 14 day isolation at a barracks nearby before they are inflicted on Canadian society. Anyone else has to give up contact information and where they will be staying for the next 14 days and report/self-isolate at first sign of symptoms. 500% tariffs on anything coming from China.

Pull all funding from the WHO until their head is gone. Having some Ethiopian with ties to the Ethiopian government which has ties to the Chinese government has been an unmitigated f***ing disaster. Independent investigation needs to be done at the WHO before funding restored.

For a start.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
lol that decision is catching up with them now. Just like how it did with the U.K.

Their plan is to move through their fatalities quicker with the hope of having fewer fatalities after 12-16 months and less damage to their economy. Who knows if it will work but they absolutely expect to be accelerated now.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
It is quite scary. Not sure if you can say, but have they started to bring in new hires to replace the sick or off work employees?

I heard other countries are quickly moving to have the backup teams for food and other essentials.

Not sure how that works when training is required.

Metro’s fully automated distribution centres was a year too late. Looks like they would have been finished in 6 months if there was no flu.

'+ document.title.replace(/\

Demand has shifted sufficiently that I am able to move people around to cover absences. I've always believed in cross-training and it is paying dividends. When this started I saw 25% absenteeism (due to people returning from travel and that initial wave of panic) initially and was able to keep all the priority lines running.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
China has approved early-stage human tests for two experimental vaccines to combat the new coronavirus as it battles to contain imported cases, especially from neighbouring Russia, the new “front line” in the war on COVID-19.

Russia has become China’s largest source of imported cases, with a total of 409 infections originating in the country, and Chinese citizens should stay put and not return home, the state-owned Global Times said in an editorial.

China approves experimental coronavirus vaccine trials while tightening border with Russia - The Globe and Mail

This guy agrees with you

f***ing right. Serpentza

I've followed this guys channel for a few years now and it's awesome. Are you familiar with it?

He's lived there for over 10 years and is fluent in mandarin. He's married to a Chinese doctor and has made a few documentaries about China, motorcycling around the whole country. They are really great. He shows a side of China not many people see.

It's only within the last year(just before the Hong Kong protests) did he and his buddy Laowhy86 leave the country because they new it was going to get worse there for foreigners..

His channel is really really great. He also has another one called ADV China where it's just him and his buddy ridding around and talking. They really paint china as a misunderstood society with it's faults but also highlight the great things about it.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
f***ing right. Serpentza

I've followed this guys channel for a few years now and it's awesome. Are you familiar with it?

He's lived there for over 10 years and is fluent in mandarin. He's married to a Chinese doctor and has made a few documentaries about China, motorcycling around the whole country. They are really great. He shows a side of China not many people see.

It's only within the last year(just before the Hong Kong protests) did he and his buddy Laowhy86 leave the country because they new it was going to get worse there for foreigners..

His channel is really really great. He also has another one called ADV China where it's just him and his buddy ridding around and talking. They really paint china as a misunderstood society with it's faults but also highlight the great things about it.

Definitely interesting views. I binged watched his stuff a while ago. There are a couple of guys that debunk some of his takes as well.

I can't understand how he is in the US and his wife is stuck there though. He is never getting back in now. ;)

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Anyone that comes from or transited through China and is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident goes into 14 day isolation at a barracks nearby before they are inflicted on Canadian society. Anyone else has to give up contact information and where they will be staying for the next 14 days and report/self-isolate at first sign of symptoms. 500% tariffs on anything coming from China.

Pull all funding from the WHO until their head is gone. Having some Ethiopian with ties to the Ethiopian government which has ties to the Chinese government has been an unmitigated f***ing disaster. Independent investigation needs to be done at the WHO before funding restored.

For a start.
500% tariff? good luck with that. Do you realize how much stuff comes from china?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

For a start.
Yep. WHO needs to be dismantled and sucked dry of any monetary contributions.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Definitely interesting views. I binged watched his stuff a while ago. There are a couple of guys that debunk some of his takes as well.

I can't understand how he is in the US and his wife is stuck there though. He is never getting back in now. ;)

Those debunkers sound like they are reading off of a script.

Reactions: Variable26

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Am I the only one who finds it odd that there is a trend going on where nurses across American hospitals are participating in dance challenges on social media during the pandemic?

Reactions: Variable26

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yep. WHO needs to be dismantled and sucked dry of any monetary contributions.

Creating a power vacuum is giving China more power so this is very short-sighted.

Trump has already done immeasurable damage to America's soft power (and we used to think Dubya was bad!), giving more room to China, especially after all this, is not a good idea.

We need to find a way to make the WHO more autonomous, not get rid of them.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Am I the only one who finds it odd that there is a trend going on where nurses across American hospitals are participating in dance challenges on social media during the pandemic?

Well we have determined you find a lot of things odd so maybe ;)

In the best of times it is best to not pay attention to 99% of what goes on social media.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It's been reported that many of the hospitals have yet to see the influx of patients they were expecting.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Well we have determined you find a lot of things odd so maybe ;)

In the best of times it is best to not pay attention to 99% of what goes on social media.

I only find things odd when they raise doubt or suspicion ;)

It's been reported that many of the hospitals have yet to see the influx of patients they were expecting.
For sure. Nurses and medical staff across america are getting furloughed, not just a handful either. Also, the makeshift hospitals (IE: the ones outside for extra space) are being dismantled by the military in some places as well

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Do explain

There is clearly a need for an organization that focuses on international health issues. If the US backs out of funding the WHO that gives China the oppportunity to move in and become a bigger player.

Dismantling the WHO to make another one seems wasteful since the infrastructure is all there. Unfortunately the WHO can't just barge into China (or any other country) uninvited to test people; China is the real issue, not the WHO.

We need to isolate China since China has proven that it cannot be trusted on this issue (among many others of course). If this pandemic had started in almost any other country things would have played out very differently.

There is now real value in businesses shying away from China because the Chinese Communist Party is the enemy. Getting rid of the WHO because of how important China has been allowed to become due do people chasing economical growth would be a mistake.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
And now I'm losing more employees to stress and anxiety issues -

One of my kids is off work with an anxiety issue. Public facing job, terrified to go to work. She's got pre-existing anxiety issues which she manages but you can imagine what this is doing

And it seems that because she voluntarily left her position in the short term, that she's a gap in the overall income support model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad