Injury Report: NHL Season to be postponed

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Some of you guys know subscribed to the Athletic, but Dom Luszczyszyn is doing a project what would happen if the season wasn't suspended. In the 4 games so far, he has us winning against Nashville, losing against Boston, and then wins against the Devils and Islanders. We have a 3 point lead against Florida. He is updating it every day and the results of each game.
He also has the Islanders losing their 12 straight game.

Ugh, I hate when we lose to Boston. :sarcasm:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I think we all need to resign to the fact that we are not getting any more hockey this season. If they're already talking about postponing the Olympics which are not set to take place until July we're not getting any more hockey this season.

Another point I saw on twitter:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think we all need to resign to the fact that we are not getting any more hockey this season. If they're already talking about postponing the Olympics which are not set to take place until July we're not getting any more hockey this season.

those teams will run without those players. The Point people keep missing is the league when it comes down to it has already paid for 82 games and playoffs. The players will have to pay it back to get to 50%

they will do absolutely everything and anything they can to get every penny possible back.

they talk a big game about the cup. But at the end of the day, the president of the MLB called their trophy. “A piece of metal”.

All they will care about is getting as much as they can. 3 on 3. X box, they won’t care

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
tenor.gif

Reactions: Ratboy

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Flights aren’t really grounded though, you just need a valid reason to travel in many cases. I’m sure the NHL could get players to travel if needed. Especially since they could charter their own flights.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Call me crazy, but I think that the NHL season is coming back. Everyone will soon realize that this virus is really serious and they’ll all stay at home, and in a couple of months, life will come back to normal. I am pretty optimistic about it.

Stay safe, fellow Leafs fans!
I pray you are correct my friend! I can't take it anymore! No hockey ... nothing. You realize how good life is when they take your hobby away. NHL I need you!!! <3

Reactions: SnizzMitch

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Call me crazy, but I think that the NHL season is coming back. Everyone will soon realize that this virus is really serious and they’ll all stay at home, and in a couple of months, life will come back to normal. I am pretty optimistic about it.

What's taken so long?
Wish I could be as optimistic as you are.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm afraid those that have been taking it seriously will continue to take it seriously, while those that have not, will also continue not to.
That's my fear as well.
'Strange days indeed'

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The CHL has already cancelled the remainder of this junior hockey season and yesterday cancelled the Memorial Cup held in May 22-31st. For the first time in 102 years, there will not be a showdown to determine Canada's major junior hockey champion.

The 2020 Men's Ice Hockey World Championships that were scheduled to begin on May 8 - May 24 in Switzerland have already been cancelled for this year.

Canada also yesterday announced that they would not be sending any Canadian Athletes to the Summer Olympics in Japan beginning on July 24th.

The Gov of NYC is looking and turning Madison Square Gardens home of the NYR into an overflow hospital to house the sick in his city and preparing for a wave to break on NY in 3 to 4 weeks at its peek.

If Canada is already cancelling sporting events in late May or even late July, then NHL arenas opening up seems highly unlikely.

These are not signs that show we are trending in the right direction that NHL hockey is returning any time soon unfortunately. IMO

Last edited:

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

OK, but only because you said to:

images

:sarcasm:

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The CHL has already cancelled the remainder of this junior hockey season and yesterday cancelled the Memorial Cup held in May 22-31st. For the first time in 102 years, there will not be a showdown to determine Canada's major junior hockey champion.

The 2020 Men's Ice Hockey World Championships that were scheduled to begin on May 8 - May 24 in Switzerland have already been cancelled for this year.

Canada also yesterday announced that they would not be sending any Canadian Athletes to the Summer Olympics in Japan beginning on July 24th.

The Gov of NYC is looking and turning Madison Square Gardens home of the NYR into an overflow hospital to house the sick in his city and preparing for a wave to break on NY in 3 to 4 weeks at its peek.

If Canada is already cancelling sporting events in late May or even late July, then NHL arenas opening up seems highly unlikely.

These are not signs that show we are trending in the right direction that NHL hockey is returning any time soon unfortunately. IMO

The Olympics scheduled for four months from now delaying into 2021 should be the final sign for the league and its fans to realize it is time to just cancel the 2019-20 season. Hope and plan that the 2020-21 schedule starts on time in October.

To leave not only this season hanging in the balance, as well as next season, just isn't good business.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I just don't know how this will turn out. Sure, I'd like to have hockey back. Watch some playoffs in whatever way they would organize it and with whichever teams got in. But, we just don't know how bad this is going to get. It sucks since we got through so much of the schedule. We are invested in this season. But it may be left without a champion.

It isn't the first time we've lost a season. At least I can accept having to respond to a major health crisis more than I can a season being lost because billionaires and millions were fighting over money. If we can survive lockouts then we can make it through this.

Hopefully they find a way. There's time left to figure something out. But, we'll just have to wait and see.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Olympics scheduled for four months from now delaying into 2021 should be the final sign for the league and its fans to realize it is time to just cancel the 2019-20 season. Hope and plan that the 2020-21 schedule starts on time in October.

To leave not only this season hanging in the balance, as well as next season, just isn't good business.

Agreed

How can you tell Canadian Olympic athletes that have been training for 4 years for these games in July that they are out, and then open up Canadian Hockey rinks and allow hockey to return in June/July?

The writing is certainly on the wall where 1 +1 logically = 2 here. All that is missing is the official notification.

Perhaps delaying the inevitable outcome is only to provide hope at the moment, during this time.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
President wants them back to work by easter sunday. So yeah, on any given sunday, anythang can happen. Start counting from there on. NHL could be easily back like 1-2 months from there on. Other people and leagues too, since they want it like that and are allowing it like that. Canadian teams might play in some us. arenas, dirt, maybe even some us teams will play in florida or like in miami or etc colorado and all. They might even play the rest of the regular season games now. Sounds like it.

Reactions: al secord

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
President wants them back to work by easter sunday. So yeah, on any given sunday, anythang can happen. Start counting from there on. NHL could be easily back like 1-2 months from there on. Other people and leagues too, since they want it like that and are allowing it like that. Canadian teams might play in some us. arenas, dirt, maybe even some us teams will play in florida or like in miami or etc colorado and all. They might even play the rest of the regular season games now. Sounds like it.
If NBA comes back then NHL comes back. But I still doubt it. Trump is a marketer. He says things people want to hear. Gets his approval rating up.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
NHL postpones draft, combine, awards due to coronavirus

March 26, 2020

With the 2019-20 season on pause due to the coronavirus pandemic, the NHL on Wednesday postponed three upcoming events: the scouting combine in Buffalo, the NHL Awards in Las Vegas and the NHL draft in Montreal.

The draft was scheduled for June 26-27 at Bell Centre, making its way to Montreal for the first time since 2009.

"The location, timing and format of the 2020 NHL Draft (and Draft Lottery) will be announced when details are finalized," the league said in a news release.

This sets up the possibility that the NHL could hold the 2020 draft in private and with teams picking from remote locations, something the league hasn't seen in a non-lockout season since the 1970s.

The scouting combine, set for June 1-6, has traditionally been the last chance for draft prospects to make impressions on team executives.

The NHL Awards were held at the Mandalay Bay Events Center last year, but a venue for 2020 was not yet announced. The awards had been scheduled for June 18.

Full story: NHL postpones draft, scouting combine, awards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad