Injury Report: NHL Season to be postponed

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Agreed

How can you tell Canadian Olympic athletes that have been training for 4 years for these games in July that they are out, and then open up Canadian Hockey rinks and allow hockey to return in June/July?

The writing is certainly on the wall where 1 +1 logically = 2 here. All that is missing is the official notification.

Perhaps delaying the inevitable outcome is only to provide hope at the moment, during this time.
Huge difference between the Olympics and pro sports like hockey and basketball.
The Olympics are all about qualifying and many countries have not been able to select their teams due to competitions being called off. If athletes can only start training again in late May or June there is no time to get them prepared, then go through a series of competitions then keep training to get ready for the Olympics. That would be a 6 month process and you are not going to hold them in October or November when it is colder weather.

Last edited:
Reactions: CincoHolio

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The league wont make a final decision until its the final second of the last possible minute either way.

If it does come back this summer dont expect their to be crowds. Itll be a closed arena, televised only games.

I'm grappling with this. A morally corrupt enterprise such as the KHL already has cancelled the rest of their season this year. But the NHL is holding out, while cases in both Canada and the U.S. increase by the day.

I know the league and its players want their money. But if they are played amongst sparse crowds, what are they really reaping? Who is actually going to feel comfortable going to a packed arena in a couple months time, wherein the person sitting next to you sneezes and you think nothing of it?

I am beating a dead horse here continually saying it, but scrap this season and concentrate on next. Forget about the fact next season would be affected as well if this season is picked up in the summer. I just can't pick up and feel the same about the 2019-20 season if there is a 3/4-month break -- they'll have felt like two completely different seasons.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Does anybody still believe that there will be any continuation of the 2019-20 season?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Leafs win in OT. Panthers lose in regulation. Leafs up 7 points with 4 games left for both teans. Leafs just need a win or regulation loss by the Panthers to clinch.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Does anybody still believe that there will be any continuation of the 2019-20 season?
Season may continue but I doubt very much it starts up before fall. IMO, NFL won't start on time.

Leafs win in OT. Panthers lose in regulation. Leafs up 7 points with 4 games left for both teans. Leafs just need a win or regulation loss by the Panthers to clinch.

You realize they aren't playing games right now?

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Remember when bettman was teasing leafs nation about playoff format and how leafs hate it cause they always get boston .

Well I bet bettman and nhl are gonna need leafs and leafs nation more then ever to make some additional revenue and help the leagues financial numbers

Reactions: kb

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Leafs would take on the Sens today. Leafs have a 69.2% chance of winning today. Panthers would take on the Bruins and have a 34.5% of winning.
Leafs can clinch a playoff spot with a win or a regulation loss by Florida, or a point against the Sens and any loss by Florida.

member 300185

This season will be cancelled. There will not be a Stanley Cup awarded in 2020.

Which is very bad news for teams that made a splash leading up to the deadline and on deadline day. Many of those players are going to be free agents July 1st, meaning teams that gave away the moon for certain players threw their picks and prospects and players out the window. Thats gotta hurt. Leafs were lucky Dubas didn't do shit.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
@ACC1224
Something tells me you didn't read this post.

Some of you guys know subscribed to the Athletic, but Dom Luszczyszyn is doing a simulation project what would happen if the season wasn't suspended. In the 4 games so far, he has us winning against Nashville, losing against Boston, and then wins against the Devils and Islanders. We have a 3 point lead against Florida. He is updating it every day and the results of each game.
He also has the Islanders losing their 12 straight game.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The Leafs have clinched a playoff spot. Leafs beat Ottawa which did it but Florida also lost in regulation so they would have clinched regardless.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yesterday would have been the last day of the regular season, and according to Dom Luszczyszyn's simulation, some interesting things happened. Edmonton missed the playoffs, and Hurricanes edged out the Islanders for a playoff spot. Man how amazing would this have been.
Our record after the stoppage ended up becoming 8-2-2. We would have loved this. Ironically our only regulation losses came against the Bruins and Habs.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON

Yes, in 2020-2021. Two playoffs tourneys, two SC awarded.

Yesterday would have been the last day of the regular season, and according to Dom Luszczyszyn's simulation, some interesting things happened. Edmonton missed the playoffs, and Hurricanes edged out the Islanders for a playoff spot. Man how amazing would this have been.
Our record after the stoppage ended up becoming 8-2-2. We would have loved this. Ironically our only regulation losses came against the Bruins and Habs.

So, are you saying coronations saved some heart attacks for Leafs fans on these boards?

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Remember when bettman was teasing leafs nation about playoff format and how leafs hate it cause they always get boston .

Well I bet bettman and nhl are gonna need leafs and leafs nation more then ever to make some additional revenue and help the leagues financial numbers

Maybe Boston will be finally wiped off the map with aging core? One year closer anyway. We can play with Tampa and whoever wins might be a Champ. It would be a battle of superstars and scoring, to hell with Bs boring style!

Reactions: Dragao6

Darth Menace

Apr 14, 2016
I like your positive thinking but in my opinion this Leafs season really sucked and was a huge let down.
Maybe Boston will be finally wiped off the map with aging core? One year closer anyway. We can play with Tampa and whoever wins might be a Champ. It would be a battle of superstars and scoring, to hell with Bs boring style!

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
He

Which is very bad news for teams that made a splash leading up to the deadline and on deadline day. Many of those players are going to be free agents July 1st, meaning teams that gave away the moon for certain players threw their picks and prospects and players out the window. Thats gotta hurt. Leafs were lucky Dubas didn't do shit.
He did , Barrie walks for free.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
He

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
He

Ultimately, Barrie was an off season aquisition via trade. Our Leafs had him from the beginning of the season until the pause.

The teams that made trades, at or near the deadline, are the ones that are losing assets for very little benefit. That's the situation that NovaLeaf was eluding to.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Ultimately, Barrie was an off season aquisition via trade. Our Leafs had him from the beginning of the season until the pause.

The teams that made trades, at or near the deadline, are the ones that are losing assets for very little benefit. That's the situation that NovaLeaf was eluding to.
He is no loss at all. In fact I bet team would play better without him. The very very few games where he mounted enough courage to attempt to play defense was a tiny fraction compared to games where he let people walk around him. Don't let door hit ya in da *ss on your way outta town. Good riddance to ya.
To have to protect a vet on 3rd pair with sheltered offensive starts is beyond ridiculous.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
He is no loss at all. In fact I bet team would play better without him. The very very few games where he mounted enough courage to attempt to play defense was a tiny fraction compared to games where he let people walk around him. Don't let door hit ya in da *ss on your way outta town. Good riddance to ya.
To have to protect a vet on 3rd pair with sheltered offensive starts is beyond ridiculous.

I agree. He’s no loss the way his season has gone. It’s just a shame we had to give up a useful player with term for 2/3 of a season of Barrie.

He was always at the bottom of my list of d-men I’d like to acquire. Everyone knows he’s an offensive d but he has been abysmal this year even at that. It’s like we traded Gardiner for his cousin from Denver.

Garbage player who should have never been a target from the start anyway. Tyson Barries and Jake Gardiner types are not what this team needs despite what Dumbas’ 50 million dollar analytics team says

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad