Injury Report: NHL Season to be postponed

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
If it has to be shut down it has to be shut down.

Hockey only? I doubt it...

Last edited:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
They could have tested all players and trainers coming in and out of the arena and played without fans.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Thi
My 2 cents: if we have gone this far, then shut the entire economy down. No subways, no going to work, no heading out for groceries. If this is the legitimate position.

How will my bank feel not getting their mortgage or building owners not getting their rent? How will the federal, municipal and provincial governments deal with that? Will citizens just be reimbursed?

If it is THIS serious, than, let's just put an end to it and shut down the economy for how ever long is needed. I'm not a medical researcher so I rely on others for the facts. Going this far, suggest you reach the point of no return in terms of shutting down social interaction.

This is something out of a movie.
This is REAL life man. We have not seen something like this in a hundred years. I remember my grandpa telling me how bad it was through the Spanish flu. He said he was never ever as sick as he was for those 10 days. and he passed with a long cancer bout in his 80s. He said almost everyone he knew had it. The city was shut down. He thought it was for 2 months. He remembers they put up a xmas tree but says it was just terrible times. People were scared in their houses.

Reactions: SwollenGoat

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
They could have tested all players and trainers coming in and out of the arena and played without fans.

Exactly. You know why they won't? Lost revenue. Unless the athletes want to take pay cuts too, it's not fair to saddle this on owners.

I say, play the games, even if empty, televise the games. Or, if feasible as you suggest do testing. I don't know if it's feasible, but it's a possibility I suppose.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Exactly. You know why they won't? Lost revenue.

Maybe, also, it could be because testing actually takes a few days to complete and covid-19 is contagious before it becomes symptomatic.
In that time an infected player can infect dozens of other players.

but, let's go with "lost revenue o_O".

Reactions: OddyOh and ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Maybe, also, it could be because testing actually takes a few days to complete and covid-19 is contagious before it becomes symptomatic.
In that time an infected player can infect dozens of other players.

but, let's go with "lost revenue o_O".
Yeah, not sure how anyone can think playing games makes any sense at all.
Shut it down for a few weeks and re-evaluate.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Exactly. You know why they won't? Lost revenue. Unless the athletes want to take pay cuts too, it's not fair to saddle this on owners.

I say, play the games, even if empty, televise the games. Or, if feasible as you suggest do testing. I don't know if it's feasible, but it's a possibility I suppose.

Part of it is a business decision.

Moving teams around the country, keeping the ice going, etc is not without cost.

With no revenue... that equation quickly becomes unbalanced.

Come on over to the COVID - 19 thread. Lots of good stats out there as to why this is necessary.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Thi

This is REAL life man. We have not seen something like this in a hundred years. I remember my grandpa telling me how bad it was through the Spanish flu. He said he was never ever as sick as he was for those 10 days. and he passed with a long cancer bout in his 80s. He said almost everyone he knew had it. The city was shut down. He thought it was for 2 months. He remembers they put up a xmas tree but says it was just terrible times. People were scared in their houses.

This isn't even close to the Spanish Flu. The Spanish Flu was remarkable because it disproportionately affected young, healthy adults. This strain of coronavirus behaves typically. Most fatal cases involve the very old and people with pre-existing conditions.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Yeah, not sure how anyone can think playing games makes any sense at all.
Shut it down for a few weeks and re-evaluate.

I’d be really doubtful that this is going to restart this year.

The spread is what it is. Some 15 million Canadians and over 140 million Americans will likely come into contact with the virus based on models.

Germany’s Chancellor indicated up to 70% of their population will contract the virus.

Experts say the peak is weeks if not months away.

Until there is a tool to fight it (meds to treat or vaccines to prevent) , social distancing is what we’ve got. Estimates are a year to 18 months before that happens.

I think this season is over.

Only question is whether you pick up where you left off in a year from now, reset the standings and start over or just award the Cup to the top team right now.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This isn't even close to the Spanish Flu. The Spanish Flu was remarkable because it disproportionately affected young, healthy adults. This strain of coronavirus behaves typically. Most fatal cases involve the very old and people with pre-existing conditions.
Let's hope so ... all da best to everyone as they figure things out

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Leafs clinched a playoff spot

giphy.gif

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

It is unique though given that the average flu affects both young and old. Corona seems to only affect the old.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I’d be really doubtful that this is going to restart this year.

The spread is what it is. Some 15 million Canadians and over 140 million Americans will likely come into contact with the virus based on models.

Germany’s Chancellor indicated up to 70% of their population will contract the virus.

Experts say the peak is weeks if not months away.

Until there is a tool to fight it (meds to treat or vaccines to prevent) , social distancing is what we’ve got. Estimates are a year to 18 months before that happens.

I think this season is over.

Only question is whether you pick up where you left off in a year from now, reset the standings and start over or just award the Cup to the top team right now.
No chance they award a cup without going through some form of playoffs.

The interesting stuff will be what happens with the draft? How will Teams be compensated for picks moved for a playoff run if that run never happens?
I'm sure there are many more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad