NHL Releases Top 10 Players List

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Points are not everything. Wheeler is rated properly, probably should be lower with Vasilevskiy, Holtby, Panarin and Kuznetsov imo being better.

Maybe, but claiming he needed more than 1 season of high calibre play compared to others around the list rings a little hollow. Particularly when you're touting guys who mainly produce points and who haven't had a lot of high calibre seasons to be above him.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
You know how absurd it is to non-leaf fans to see a guy who is only a point per game player in a shortened season be named a top 10 player so stop acting like having Matthews there is any different than Drai. Matthews won't even be playing as the number 1 center anyways he'll be playing as a 2 C just like Drai.
Matthews > Tavares

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It seems like the only place Matthews isn't considered a top 10 player in the league is HF Boards. Lol.
The guy hasnt had one good playoff series and they have him top 10. Not one top 10 scoring finish either. Its for hits everyone knows it. He has the talent to be a top 10 player no doubt. However until he actually does it the he belongs no where near the top 10.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
One way to remove bias is to compare to what different models say over a two year sample.

Corsica War - war/82:
1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Kucherov
4. Ovechkin
5. Malkin
6. Laine
7. Tarasenko
8. MacKinnon
9. Couture (!)
10. Matthews

Draisaitl not in the top 30.

Game Score - total:
1. McDavid
2. Kucherov
3. Crosby
4. Marchand
5. Pastrnak
6. Burns
7. Panarin
8. Tarasenko
9. Wheeler
10. Kane

Draisaitl at #25. Matthews at #23, less games played than anyone above him except Malkin. Ranked as #2 by projected game score going into next season. Malkin would also be high up there if there was an /82 adjustment for Game Score.

There's Evolving Hockey as well, but those results are so wonky that I don't know if they provide anything of worth.

Judging by all this, the best cases would be:

1. McDavid
2-3. Kucherov/Crosby
4. Malkin
5. Tarasenko
6. Matthews
7+. A (non-)Wild mess

Reactions: EON

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
It seems like the only place Matthews isn't considered a top 10 player in the league is HF Boards. Lol.

Because everyone else just caters to the Leafs. HF is the only true objective source of analysis on the internet. True story.

/s

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Pretty decent list.

Kucherov barely being picked in the 2nd round will never cease being ridiculous.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I don't understand the animosity, Matthews is there to drive up ratings to the NHL website. There is no other reason why Matthews should be up there with the best of the best yet, maybe in a couple more seasons. Giroux keeps getting boned.

74 goals in his first 2 seasons, at the age of tender ages of 19 & 20 might have SOMETHING to do with it.

Drasaitl shouldn't be anywhere near the top-10 list.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
74 goals in his first 2 seasons, at the age of tender ages of 19 & 20 might have SOMETHING to do with it.

Drasaitl shouldn't be anywhere near the top-10 list.
And? If you're all being honest with yourselves Matthews will not sniff those numbers being the #2 center behind Tavares.
It will be apparent to you guys soon as to why Draisaitl's numbers are even more impressive.
Draisaitl should be top 10 imho.

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
And? If you're all being honest with yourselves Matthews will not sniff those numbers being the #2 center behind Tavares.
It will be apparent to YOU guys soon as to why Draisaitl's numbers are even more impressive.
Why would Matthews be the #2 center when he's the best center on the Leafs?

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Why would Matthews be the #2 center when he's the best center on the Leafs?
Wat8.jpg

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
If MacKinnon has another season like the one he just had then sure, he is better. As of right now, to me it is an anomaly until proven otherwise. Dude went super saiyan after having many disappointing seasons.
Why is it an anomaly?

I’m assuming based on nothing from watching him actually play.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Why is it an anomaly?

I’m assuming based on nothing from watching him actually play.
From his past performances since his rookie season? What I am saying is not a completely irrational stance on this, at all. If he proves it again he deserves to be mentioned with these players.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
It will be apparent to you guys soon as to why Draisaitl's numbers are even more impressive.

Just because you say ridiculous crap.........that doesn't make it true, Son.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

First of all, Draisaitl was McDavids winger more than he was the 2C.

Second Tavares isnt the 1C, theyre actually sharing minutes and will be together on the 1st PP. If anything I'd still argue Matthews will be the 1C. Yes Matthews > JT

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Just because you say ridiculous crap.........that doesn't make it true, Son.
First of all, Draisaitl was McDavids winger more than he was the 2C.

Second Tavares isnt the 1C, theyre actually sharing minutes and will be together on the 1st PP. If anything I'd still argue Matthews will be the 1C. Yes Matthews > JT
You guys are serious hey? What makes Matthews > Tavares? I'm seriously confused.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad