NHL Releases Top 10 Players List

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
The fact that Matthews is on this list and Bergeron isn’t makes me wonder if these people even watch hockey

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Hate this idea that the so-called experts/professional are all knowing and much more credible than everybody else.

The experts had Malkin outside of the top 100 players while Toews made it. Professional GMs traded Weber for Subban, Larsson for Hall, Forsberg for Erat - things most HF posters probably wouldn't do.

It's hockey - not astrophysics. You don't need a phD to be able to watch a sport of guys playing at the highest level.

They still know a lot more than YOU and that much is obvious. :)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Scoring 40 goals as a rookie when he was 19 years old and scoring 34 goals as a 20 year old says differently and so does all the experts who keep ranking Matthews in the top 10 on these lists, despite fans of HFBoards who claim they know more.
These are the same people who didn't have Hall or MacKinnon in the top 50 last year too.

Any REASONSBLE fan, can see Matthews talent and his ability to be a top player. But some of us just want him to DO it first. What is wrong with that?

Would he be in the top 10 guys if I was starting a team? For sure. Has he proven he is a top 10 player, not just goalscorer, no he hasn't. Not yet. He will, but hasn't yet.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
They still know a lot more than YOU and that much is obvious. :)

Hey, maybe they do.

But I don't think it is up to YOU to determine that. A person who believes that Marner is going to score 120 points this year seems rather "out to lunch" and I wouldn't give that person much credibility...but that's just me.

EDIT: Found something even better: He thinks Gardiner is better than Tyson Barrie.."AINEC".

Yeah...you literally know nothing. Sorry.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’d have Giroux, Bergeron,mackinnon, Marchand and Kopitor all fighting around the 10 spot.

I don’t have a problem with Matthews being there though because he’s a legit #1 Center and one of the better goal scoring centers.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
These are the same people who didn't have Hall or MacKinnon in the top 50 last year too.

Any REASONSBLE fan, can see Matthews talent and his ability to be a top player. But some of us just want him to DO it first. What is wrong with that?

Would he be in the top 10 guys if I was starting a team? For sure. Has he proven he is a top 10 player, not just goalscorer, no he hasn't. Not yet. He will, but hasn't yet.
When you saw how historically bad the Avalanche and MacKinnon were in 2017 obviously he would not make a top 50 list.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
idk, my list goes something like this:

1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. MacKinnon
4. Kucherov
5. Ovechkin
6. Giroux
7. Karlsson
8. Malkin
9. Hedman
10. Marchand

It's so different from most other lists you see, but I've always felt Malkin to be a tad overrated, and this coming from a Pens fan who watches that team a fair bit. Guys like Stamkos, Matthews, Seguin, Benn, Hall, Tavares, Doughty are all right there knocking on the door. And they might swap in and out from one season to the next. But this is how I view the top 10 going into this season.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
When you saw how historically bad the Avalanche and MacKinnon were in 2017 obviously he would not make a top 50 list.
And what about after finishing 2nd in Hart voting and 2nd in PPG? Still not top 10 on this list. Meanwhile Matthews and his 22nd in PPG IS on the list.

And that's my big issue. Let the kids PROVE they deserve to be that high on these lists once they have proven it, not before.

And this is not just a Matthews thing. It's an "all youngsters" thing. I have said many times that they should DO it first....then DO IT AGAIN. That proves that the 1 year was not a fluke. Guys like MacKinnon and Barzal fall into this group.

And again, if it's a PROJECTION list, then that is different. Nothing wrong with thinking Matthews can finish top 10 in scoring this coming year. But when it is a NOW list, I favour the guys who have done it multiple time and have proven themselves.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
That was in 2014. Last season Montreal finished 28th in the overall league standings and Price was not injured unlike previous years when Montreal finished that low in the standings.
2015* it’s also not prices fault his team can’t score. He’s still the best goalie in the world

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
So if you can bring up Price's Hart Trophy from 4 seasons ago, I guess it's okay for Leafs fans to always bring up Matthews winning the Calder Trophy in 2017.
The Calder does not make you a top 10 player in the nhl. It makes you the best rookie that particular season. I don’t get the comparison your trying to make. A hart and a Calder are levels apart when it comes to prestige.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The Calder does not make you a top 10 player in the nhl. It makes you the best rookie that particular season. I don’t get the comparison your trying to make. A hart and a Calder are levels apart when it comes to prestige.
The way I see it both the Hart and Calder are NHL awards and since Matthews Calder win was more recent than Price's Hart win, I can bring it up to favor him since you still think Price's Hart from 2015 is still relevant.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Imo Matthews needs a full elite season before joining this list. Is he better than 92 point selke winning Kopitar? Not yet.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Imo Matthews needs a full elite season before joining this list. Is he better than 92 point selke winning Kopitar? Not yet.
So even Matthews scored 40 goals as a rookie when he played all 82 games, which was the highest total by a rookie since Ovechkin's 52 goals in 2006 doesn't get him in the conservation?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
So even Matthews scored 40 goals as a rookie when he played all 82 games, which was the highest total by a rookie since Ovechkin's 52 goals in 2006 doesn't get him in the conservation?
Makes him one of the best rookies of the era sure and means he has big potential. But a 40 goal 29 assist season doesn't make him a top 10 player.

Imo a lot of these lists have been giving him the benefit of the doubt when he hasn't put together a full elite season yet.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Makes him one of the best rookies of the era sure and means he has big potential. But a 40 goal 29 assist season doesn't make him a top 10 player.

Imo a lot of these lists have been giving him the benefit of the doubt when he hasn't put together a full elite season yet.
Last years list was based off what Matthews did as a rookie when he played all 82 regular seasons. Last time I checked that was a full season which he was an elite player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad