NHL Releases Top 10 Players List

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Poor Wheeler. Only the captain and best player on one of the best teams in the league but yet the Leaf factor keeps on chugging.
That's not why, Wheeler is older and for all we know last season was an anomaly for him.

1 season of high caliber play does not get you on one of these lists.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Remember when top 10 winger Taylor Hall fetched second pairing dman Adam Larsson? Good times. Even better trade.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Hall was over ppg player twice on the Oilers. Hall playing well on the devils is not unexpected.

Show me a list where he is in the top 25 from recent years.

He has catapulted to the top of the list based on ONE great year.

Which goes against your claim of "1 season of high caliber play does not get you on one of these lists.".

Now, whether Hall should be ranked that high, well that's another conversation.

That's the problem with these "lists". They need to be very specific in what the criteria is.

Is it for last seasons performance? Then absolutely Hall should be on the list, but Mathews shouldn't.

Is it for this upcoming season? Then arguments could be made for both being on the list, more so for Hall than Mathews mind you.

Is it for their entire body of work? Then neither should be any where near the Top Ten of any list.

.......and this is where the P/60, 5vs5, takeaways/60 come to beat their collective chests!!

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Ah supprise supprise, Matthews at 10, so they can sell the list in Toronto...…..

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Yea it isn't just Leafs fans that wouldn't have Draisaitl as a top 10 player ib the league lol
Point completely over your head I'm not saying Drai is top 10 I'm saying having Matthews there is just as stupid as having Drai there. Mackinnon, Kopitar, Giroux, Stamkos, Tavares (you know the guy who is actually the best player on your favourite team), Marchand all better and more impactful players than Matthews and yet here you are defending this trash list.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Show me a list where he is in the top 25 from recent years.

He has catapulted to the top of the list based on ONE great year.

Which goes against your claim of "1 season of high caliber play does not get you on one of these lists.".

Now, whether Hall should be ranked that high, well that's another conversation.

That's the problem with these "lists". They need to be very specific in what the criteria is.

Is it for last seasons performance? Then absolutely Hall should be on the list, but Mathews shouldn't.

Is it for this upcoming season? Then arguments could be made for both being on the list, more so for Hall than Mathews mind you.

Is it for their entire body of work? Then neither should be any where near the Top Ten of any list.

.......and this is where the P/60, 5vs5, takeaways/60 come to beat their collective chests!!
I agree that one could question Hall's ranking but he has shown in the past that the season he just had was not a 1 off. So with that being said, imo Hall being in the top 10 is not as egregious as Matthews being there as there are many glaring omissions you can't argue over like giroux, tavares and Kopitar. In this list both Hall and Matthews should be off of it in favor of these guys but it is what it is.
Where is mackinnon lol
#NHLTopPlayers: Nos. 20-11

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I agree that one could question Hall's ranking but he has shown in the past that the season he just had was not a 1 off. So with that being said, imo Hall being in the top 10 is not as egregious as Matthews being there as there are many glaring omissions you can't argue over like giroux, tavares and Kopitar. In this list both Hall and Matthews should be off of it in favor of these guys but it is what it is.

#NHLTopPlayers: Nos. 20-11

Giroux’s not even in the top 20....

What parallel universe are we living in?

Jetcetera

Jan 19, 2015
Manitoba
Why is matthews on there? I dont get it. I could name at least 10 other guys way more deserving than him, same goes for Hall.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Blake Wheeler is 5th in points over the last 3 seasons combined. That's more than 1 season of high calibre play.
Points are not everything. Wheeler is rated properly, probably should be lower with Vasilevskiy, Holtby, Panarin and Kuznetsov imo being better.
Giroux’s not even in the top 20....

What parallel universe are we living in?
He gets disrespected so much, its painful.

Reactions: Hapiii

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad