Prospect Info: NHL Prospects

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I would have preferred this player, or one like him, in place of Kleven. It'll be interesting to see how right (or likely wrong) I was.
Yeah. These sorts of players are always more enticing. I’m super curious to see what kleven brings. I’ve just never seen quite a divide between amazing paid scouts and super shitty online scouts (hehe) than I have on kleven.

there were quite a few undersized more offensively talented d men on the board when kleven was picked. So makes for easy comparables in the future

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
rematches tonight
Umass #7 vs BC #2 at 4:30 PM ET BC won the 1st game 4-3
Notre Dame vs Michigan 7:00 PM ND won the 1st game 3-2

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Alexander Holtz 2020 #7OA NJD
2 goals today

How 'bout 2021 eligible Eklund driving the play with the setup

another look

Reactions: aragorn

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
Yeah. These sorts of players are always more enticing. I’m super curious to see what kleven brings. I’ve just never seen quite a divide between amazing paid scouts and super shitty online scouts (hehe) than I have on kleven.

there were quite a few undersized more offensively talented d men on the board when kleven was picked. So makes for easy comparables in the future
kleven reminds me a bit of the jets pick of Logan Stanley ... A big Dman who can skate... but a lot has to go right to be a 5 or 6 D man in the NHL.... which makes me not a fan of the pick..

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
kleven reminds me a bit of the jets pick of Logan Stanley ... A big Dman who can skate... but a lot has to go right to be a 5 or 6 D man in the NHL.... which makes me not a fan of the pick..
Stanley’s skating was not considered an asset whatsoever during his draft, he moves reasonably well for his size was about as good as it got. His 6’7 frame was the selling point.

From Brock Otten 2016
Strengths

• Logan Stanley is 6’7 and 220 pounds and he actually moves reasonably well. He’s worked very hard to improve his skating, and his stride is a lot more fluid and powerful.

Weakensses
  • His lateral and backwards agility still need work, and he needs to keep his feet moving off the rush.
  • There is a lot to like and the progression he’s shown this year is incredibly impressive. I just don’t like the track record of using high picks on players like Stanley — that being huge defenders who project as stay at home defenders at the next level. The game is evolving, and while size will likely always be king, it’s built on speed more than anything now. I think that negates some of the impact that a guy like Stanley can have at the NHL level.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I feel like the difference there is that everybody got a reallly good look at Stanley when he was draft. Kleven was hiding a little bit on lower pairs at the NTDP and may have gotten stuck in a role. We will be in college a little while. Very interesting player to track

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Stanley’s skating was not considered an asset whatsoever during his draft, he moves reasonably well for his size was about as good as it got. His 6’7 frame was the selling point.

From Brock Otten 2016
Strengths

• Logan Stanley is 6’7 and 220 pounds and he actually moves reasonably well. He’s worked very hard to improve his skating, and his stride is a lot more fluid and powerful.

Weakensses
  • His lateral and backwards agility still need work, and he needs to keep his feet moving off the rush.
  • There is a lot to like and the progression he’s shown this year is incredibly impressive. I just don’t like the track record of using high picks on players like Stanley — that being huge defenders who project as stay at home defenders at the next level. The game is evolving, and while size will likely always be king, it’s built on speed more than anything now. I think that negates some of the impact that a guy like Stanley can have at the NHL level.

I have noticed that part I bolded. A lot of bigger prospects aren't afforded the same patience they might have been in the past. Teams are still willing to give them a look but they have been quick to move on from them over recent years. Hunter Smith was drafted as an over age prospect by Calgary and he was listed at 6'7. Once he finished his ELC the Flames let him walk. Justin Auger (6'6) was drafted by LA, he even earned a few NHL games but was let go after his ELC. Justin Brazeau (6'6) was a CHL free agent who had a dominant season and he could only get an AHL contract and played last season in the ECHL. I had asked one of the Sens reporters if the Sens were interested in signing him and they said they didn't like his skating. Curtis Douglas (6'8) was drafted by Dallas and has put up solid stats in the OHL. The Stars decided the let his draft rights expire, he wasn't drafted this year and he hasn't signed a deal with any NHL team at this point.

There are likely way more examples than that. Skating may have not been the issue with the players I mentioned but it appears to be an issue with some of them. In the past teams would have been happy to get bigger prospects that could put up the points they did but now they struggle to get a look.

With regards to your comment about using high draft picks on players like Stanley, Samuel Morin and Dylan Mcilrath come to mind. Morin (6'6) was drafted 11th overall by Philadelphia and Miclrath (6'5) was drafted 10th overall by New York. So far neither have really panned out. Morin has had a bunch of injuries and Mcilrath wasn't qualified by New York and is now with Detroit. I guess a counter argument could be Tyler Myers (6'8) and Jamie Oleksiak (6'7). Both are good players and have panned out in different ways.

But to your point, players like Logan Stanley (or players who may have similar upside) should usually be available in the mid rounds. It is a meaningful tradeoff to pass on the types of players that are usually available in the mid to late first round.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Anyone wondering what happened to Carter Savoie? We get a look at him in the Omaha Pod vs UND tomorrrow

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
You win some, you lose some. Sometimes you lose them by a catastrophic margin.
Berggren has eye-popping numbers but until he does that in the NHL it's not really relevant.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

And he's doing that after missing the better part of his last two development years to injury.

Had top 10 talent and showed it at the U18s. Shouldn't have fallen to the 2nd.

Him getting picked with that extra 2nd we threw in on top of Zibanejad is just the perfect cherry on top of what will amount to one of the worst trades made in the last decade.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

poor kid; works out all summer; healthy as a horse; goes to play in Switzerland; plays 1 game; catches covid

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
NCAA games to watch ahead of UND vs DU; I'll probably start with Wisconsin - OSU , switch to Providence - BC if I get the streams
17:30Wisconsin - Ohio State
18:00Providence - Boston C
19:00Arizona State - Notre Dame
20:00Minnesota - Michigan State
20:35North Dakota - Denver
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You win some, you lose some. Sometimes you lose them by a catastrophic margin.
Berggren has eye-popping numbers but until he does that in the NHL it's not really relevant.

Dorion wanted to make a splash with his new promotion, gambled and lost. Not sure how motivated he was to trade Zibanejad. Did he lose faith in him? Was it a directive from Melnyk who didn't want to meet Zibanejad future contract demands? We'll never know exactly what happened but I wish it never happened. Zibanejad would look really good in the rebuild. But at the same time, maybe he would have been traded anyway because they ended up trading everybody from the old core and the return might not have been much better. At least Dorion traded Brassard very well to the Penguins so he salvaged his initial gamble partially. And well, that 2017 Cup run was also pretty sweet.

I don't see picks in trades as the player the other team deceided to grab but rather the opportunity to have selected one of the right players at that spot. overall the trade hurts but it's also impossible to tell where we'd be right now. Ex : would we have Tkachuk, Stuetzle and Sanderson? Maybe/probably not.

poor kid; works out all summer; healthy as a horse; goes to play in Switzerland; plays 1 game; catches covid

How did he get it?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Byfield's time to shine.

I am disappointed that NYR will not release Lafreniere to play for Canada at the World Juniors. Would they do the same if they drafted the top USA player. I think not as the flack would be too great.

Having said that, I think there needs to be some rules established for eligible players to be made available for the world juniors that all teams must abide by.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
And he's doing that after missing the better part of his last two development years to injury.

Him getting picked with that extra 2nd we threw in on top of Zibanejad is just the perfect cherry on top of what will amount to one of the worst trades made in the last decade.

But our GM is a genius!

Reactions: HzH

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

Just like Dahlen

Reactions: cudi

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The point is claiming he will go on to be successful because of his numbers in a non nhl league is premature, but typical

I'm sure you are just as quick to dismiss Pinto's performance, or Norris'

Berggren looks like a steal, there is no harm in admitting it. No guarantee we would have taken him had we kept the pick, so its no shot at the trade at least for me.

Reactions: HzH and Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad