Prospect Info: NHL Prospects

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He skated the puck in from center with 4 men back, around the net and shelfed it short side. Nothing average about that.

Who cares if there's 4 men back if he doesn't go through any of them and only skates wide around the zone.

Nice shot I guess? Low-percentage but placed perfectly. Not exactly what I'd consider a highlight reel goal.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Who cares if there's 4 men back if he doesn't go through any of them and only skates wide around the zone.

Nice shot I guess? Low-percentage but placed perfectly. Not exactly what I'd consider a highlight reel goal.
Who cares if there are 4 guys back? It’s extremely, extremely hard to beat a 4 man zone D by yourself, even harder when you do it all on the outside starting from the opposite side of the rink at center and swing all the way around back to the side. That is much, much harder to do in a game than pulling the puck to the inside with a tor drag or cut back.

You don’t need to go through people for a play to be nice. I’d be way, way more impressed at one of our prospects making a play like that than one where he puts the puck through the far side D’s legs cutting into the middle. That play shows me a lot more than some fancy stickhandling.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Lundell making it look easy in Liiga.

and another one for Lundell... make it 2g 3a in this one

Last edited:

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Is Anton Lundell making a case that he should have gone higher in the draft, or is too soon? He is off to a great start, and just had himself a 6 point game.

I know at least one poster here *cough* @aragorn that really wanted him taken at #5 but did the other 5 teams make a mistake passing over too?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Is Anton Lundell making a case that he should have gone higher in the draft, or is too soon? He is off to a great start, and just had himself a 6 point game.

I know at least one poster here *cough* @aragorn that really wanted him taken at #5 but did the other 5 teams make a mistake passing over too?

Probably supports the argument of one big tier 4-12.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Probably supports the argument of one big tier 4-12.
Or a guy that was an early top 3 guy in his draft having a mediocre year where people questioned his overall offensive potential then having a big breakout post draft. Anyone who's watch him know what's changed? I read his skating went to another level this year. He looks amazingly quick. I knew he was a good skater but now he looks elite. I know before last season there were some Barkov comparisons. That looks fair now.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

Not really, because he hasn’t played in North America yet. It’s easier to do very well in Europe when you’re a slower player.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Lundell was the 12th OA pick in a pretty sick draft. So far he has been justifying that he deserved to be in that 2nd tier (after Lafreniere and Byfield/Stuetzle). I had it like this IIRC :

Raymond/Drysdale/Rossi/Sanderson/Perfetti/Holtz/Lundell

I know Askarov was realistically in that tier but didn't want the Sens to grab a goalie with a high pick)

Quinn and Jarvis were also probably in that tier for a few different teams.

Jarventie just behind that group with 0.87

He's 10 months younger than Lundell too.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Some of our prospects will not have played a meaningful game for at least 10 months .. IMO there is only so much you can do at the gym, or working on game elements with skill coaches or skating coaches.. a key part of development comes through the games. Terrible timing for everyone but especially for rebuilding teams counting on a jump from some of their prospects.

How COVID-19 will impact NHL prospects in the 2020-21 season

Legit question: who do you think this long unexpected break hinders more; young prospects who are still developing or older players who have already established themselves? I was cursing our luck the other day having to go through a re-build in the middle of a pandemic, but after thinking a little more, I came to the conclusion that this situation is not ideal for veteran teams either. I'm no professional athlete, but once I was in my 30's, it took A LOT longer to "get going" after an extended break from hockey. My timing was off, my hands were brick-like, and my overall play felt less instinctive. However when I was a young buck full of piss and vinegar, I hardly noticed these side effects after a long break. With a shortened season, I would be a little hesitant to bet the farm on a veteran team to win the Cup, even if they would have been favorites otherwise. Don't get me wrong, this situation is not perfect for a player of any age, but I thought it was worth bringing up.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

For the sake of clarity, I wanted Ottawa to draft Byfield & Sanderson. But if they couldn't get Byfield & were left to draft Stuetzle, I was of the opinion, that they should take the next best big centre (Lundell) to play with him since Stuetzle was already a gifted playmaker & Ottawa would need a very good centre to play with him & fill out our top nine. Especially if one or two of the centres we now have (who are questionable) don't reach their potential or make it.

I didn't want any of the smaller centres or wingers, IMO we didn't need them since we drafted Stuetzle & the team would be better with a bigger skilled centre like Lundell to feed off each other. I also liked some of the other guys they drafted (Jarventie/Sokolov) to add to Formenton, Batherson &, Tkachuk & again didn't need the smaller players. I prefer a bigger, tougher team as I have said for yrs.

I also proposed Ottawa draft Askarov at least a yr before this draft because he would give Ottawa IMO the best young goaltender in their history that the young team could grow with & have for a decade. I got roasted for that, of course, but I really wanted them to get another 1st rd pick with all of their assets to add a great goaltending prospect. Anyway, like most drafts sometimes they draft someone you like, but most times they don't & sometimes the guy they picked turns out better & sometimes your guy does, it's a crap shoot. I'm glad to see both Lundell & Askarov doing well they are both going to be great players & nice to see them having some success this early. It's going to suck to have to play against them.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Legit question: who do you think this long unexpected break hinders more; young prospects who are still developing or older players who have already established themselves? I was cursing our luck the other day having to go through a re-build in the middle of a pandemic, but after thinking a little more, I came to the conclusion that this situation is not ideal for veteran teams either. I'm no professional athlete, but once I was in my 30's, it took A LOT longer to "get going" after an extended break from hockey. My timing was off, my hands were brick-like, and my overall play felt less instinctive. However when I was a young buck full of piss and vinegar, I hardly noticed these side effects after a long break. With a shortened season, I would be a little hesitant to bet the farm on a veteran team to win the Cup, even if they would have been favorites otherwise. Don't get me wrong, this situation is not perfect for a player of any age, but I thought it was worth bringing up.

Generally, I think it hurts development and can set some prospects back.. Its hard to make the NHL and become a regular.. once you have I think its easier to keep that sense of timing, reading, reacting, knowing where to be, what to do... Those playing competitive games will have an advantage and an opportunity to continue the growth of their games. These guys aren't in complete layoffs re the 30 y/os.. they are skating and staying in shape for the most part, so they won't have as much rust to shake off as guys that took a break from hockey from an extended period coming back.. I did that too but I think its a different scenario for the guys making a living at it. I just have the impression that there is a development window where players advance quicker and that window closes with age. There are also kids coming up behind you that are playing and developing in many cases.. where if you are the 20-23 y/o trying to crack the roster and not playing games that challenge you to be better.. it stagnates your development.. just my opinion.. no empirical data.

Reactions: The Flower

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad