Prospect Info: NHL Prospects

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Generally, I think it hurts development and can set some prospects back.. Its hard to make the NHL and become a regular.. once you have I think its easier to keep that sense of timing, reading, reacting, knowing where to be, what to do... Those playing competitive games will have an advantage and an opportunity to continue the growth of their games. These guys aren't in complete layoffs re the 30 y/os.. they are skating and staying in shape for the most part, so they won't have as much rust to shake off as guys that took a break from hockey from an extended period coming back.. I did that too but I think its a different scenario for the guys making a living at it. I just have the impression that there is a development window where players advance quicker and that window closes with age. There are also kids coming up behind you that are playing and developing in many cases.. where if you are the 20-23 y/o trying to crack the roster and not playing games that challenge you to be better.. it stagnates your development.. just my opinion.. no empirical data.

Oh I completely agree that those who are playing competitive games right now definitely have an advantage over those who are idle, but if I were to hazard a guess, I would assume that most players currently loaned out overseas would be in their early 20's and the majority of veterans probably stayed in North America (or wherever they're from) and are practicing in small groups. But that pretty much answers my own question: NHL teams loan out younger players because it's more important for them to keep developing their skills vs older players staying back and maintaining their skills through scrimmage and practice.

That said, it would be interesting to see if a team that loaned out a lot of their younger roster players gets off to a faster start when the season begins in comparison to a veteran team like Washington, Dallas, or Boston. With a likely shortened season, it will be a sprint next year and a quick start can make all the difference. I bet that's why Joe Thornton went to play in Switzerland in the middle of a pandemic before his swan song in Toronto.

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Thomas Bordeleau in 3 on 3 ot wins it... Filthy? That Dman went down awful early

San Jose had a good draft considering.
Ozzy Wiesblatt, Thomas Bordeleau, Tristen Robins, Daniil Guschin and Brandon Coe

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Oh I completely agree that those who are playing competitive games right now definitely have an advantage over those who are idle, but if I were to hazard a guess, I would assume that most players currently loaned out overseas would be in their early 20's and the majority of veterans probably stayed in North America (or wherever they're from) and are practicing in small groups. But that pretty much answers my own question: NHL teams loan out younger players because it's more important for them to keep developing their skills vs older players staying back and maintaining their skills through scrimmage and practice.

That said, it would be interesting to see if a team that loaned out a lot of their younger roster players gets off to a faster start when the season begins in comparison to a veteran team like Washington, Dallas, or Boston. With a likely shortened season, it will be a sprint next year and a quick start can make all the difference. I bet that's why Joe Thornton went to play in Switzerland in the middle of a pandemic before his swan song in Toronto.

I think guys that are playing have a distinct advantage over guys that are not. On the Sens, you can line up the Belleville crew into playing versus not playing and it'll be interesting to see how it plays out

Not playing is not just an issue for prospects. What about young established NHLers that are not playing but should still be developing? Tkachuk for example.

I also agree with you that it will be harder for older guys. The average 30 year old NHLer has lived a routine for so long that their body knows nothing else. I think there will be a lot of guys out of the league by the 21-22 season that otherwise might have been able to stretch it out longer

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He hadn't lit the lamp until the previous game vs Penn State .. I guess he definitely broke the ice. It is safe to say that Penn State needs a goal tender. They out shot Wisconsin 52-20 in g1, and 38-27 in g2 allowing 13 goals over those 2 games. I watched some of g1 but it got to be a bit ridiculous as Penn State could not make a save.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Dostal is yet another steal by the Ducks - the best drafting team in the NHL

3rd straight season he has a SV% above .920 and a GAA below 2.00 playing in the Liiga, albeit with smaller sample sizes.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Dostal is yet another steal by the Ducks - the best drafting team in the NHL

3rd straight season he has a SV% above .920 and a GAA below 2.00 playing in the Liiga, albeit with smaller sample sizes.

Why do you consider the Ducks to be the best drafting team in the NHL?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Why do you consider the Ducks to be the best drafting team in the NHL?

Their record of success over the last decade or so.

Palmieri, Rakell, W.Karlsson, Terry, Steel, Comtois, Ritchie, Jones, Wagner at F
Lindholm, Fowler, Theodore, Manson, Vatanen, Gardiner, Montour, Schultz, Pettersson, Larsson at D
Gibson, Andersen at G

And they just killed their last couple drafts. Have a stacked prospect pool and should be adding many more NHLers to that list.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Not a post related to a certain NHL prospect but those posts in the Senators prospects thread sure aged like milk :laugh:

For all of you slamming me for making bold claims about how great the guys at Dobber are, I accept your apology.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 21.48.40.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 21.48.40.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not a post related to a certain NHL prospect but those posts in the Senators prospects thread sure aged like milk :laugh:

Wow now his opinion can be taken seriously because he’s paid @bert haha

Well. We finally have a real scout who didn’t have stutzle 3rd. Let the fun begin

Reactions: Frank8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->