NHL PLAYOFFS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yup, what player in their right mind would enjoy playing in Ottawa the past 2 years? NHLers are competitive, Ottawa and the organisation is the furthest thing from, hence everyone leaving when they are able.

Well, that's it. Winning is fun. A city like LA or Vegas or Toronto is more fun for the nightlife than an Ottawa or Buffalo. Tampa has better weather than Montreal or Ottawa. NY, Toronto, Vancouver, Cali all have great business/endorsement potential. Players and their families look at all these things as part of the entire package. It is what it is.

Reactions: derriko

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
5-10 softie Jaden Schwarz (16 PIMs over the entire season) burying big tough Jets in the second straight game and out of the playoffs. Somebody should check on Aragorn and Don Cherry. Are they ok?
Lol more to winning than just scoring goals,You do have to win the puck,win battles along the boards,and play physical in front of your net.....Skill is just one of the ingredients

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Winnipeg is the definition of a paper tiger. All those big bodies aren't accomplishing much.
Has anyone been able to explain how a big tough team like the Jets are able to lose in the playoffs (again)? What a mystery of the universe. You'd think just being large would make up for getting out shot 36-20.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Lol more to winning than just scoring goals,You do have to win the puck,win battles along the boards,and play physical in front of your net.....Skill is just one of the ingredients
Exactly, this board just gets caughts in these binary arguments of skill vs grit or size vs skill. The size vs skill binary was one of the leading factors that prevented a large contingent of posters from seeing the value in Tkachuk. They had a hard time wrapping their heads around it and still do.

Some skill players, no matter the size, will use their flash and dash to to get in the dirty areas to make nice pass or close in snipe. However, a lot of skill players vanish in the playoffs once the physical play and tight checking ramp up. They can't effectively deal with time and space taken away. I am sure we can think of plenty of examples.

Then you have these guys like Devante Smith-Pelly scoring big goals in last year's playoff run. The lumbering guy had like 7 goals. I believe he had 3 in the SCF.

Or Collin Wilson having an impact thus far in these playoffs.

A lot of these nice playoff passing plays are the result of relentless work, and physicality and pressure.

The playoffs are often a war of attrition. Can you make plays under a lot of duress? This becomes more true as the playoffs move on

Datsyuk, one of my favourite players, constantly made skill plays while being tightly checked. It was his skill, compete and relentless that made him so special.

Just watching the U18s, I don't care if Cozens has a better skill set. I would take Krebs over him everyday, even though he is smaller and less perhaps less skilled in the abstract.

Reactions: Slack

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Yeah the way he worded it was weird but the basic idea is he wasn’t having fun here anymore and left because of it to where he thought he would and now is.

Your quote above ^

I was just clarifying the point - yes. he wanted the post season again and did not want to be part of the rebuild.

The explanation from Mark Stone via Justin Emerson:

Mark Stone pulled some us aside today and asked for the opportunity to clarify his comments. He said that it was not a slight at the Ottawa fans or organization, just tried to express his desire to play in the postseason.

Stone said when the organization told him they were going into a rebuild, he had to make a choice. He also said the run to the ECF two years ago was some of the most fun he’s had in his career, and has nothing but admiration for his time in Ottawa.

My personal take: He was genuine and upset that his comments were taken as a slight against Ottawa.

Reactions: derriko and coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
And this is why players give robotic answers to everything. Ya'll have to stop with the CSI-teaming every syllable coming out of their mouths.

And really...who cares? So what if a player hates the city, or his teammates, or the organization, or whatever? Personal preference is just that.
Obviously Stone cared and cared about the people of Ottawa.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Let's go!!!

Reactions: Ladyfan and derriko

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
We've drafted good over the time but one draft pick I never understood is Gagne outta Victoriaville. Saw a shit ton of him and I never liked the player he was. Makes it even worse when I see Carlo being a stud out there and a physical brute that can skate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce