NHL PLAYOFFS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Not saying Winnipeg would have found a better result with Stone. But with what Vegas gave up, how the hell couldn't they top that offer?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not saying Winnipeg would have found a better result with Stone. But with what Vegas gave up, how the hell couldn't they top that offer?

Sens were apparently asking for Roslovic+1st+

Should have been a no brainer for the Jets if Stone was willing to sign a deal with them long-term

Instead they gave up a 1st+prospect for a far inferior player in Hayes that is going to walk on July 1st

Chevy has been great for them, but he made screwed up by making Roslovic an untouchable in a deal for a top 10 winger

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Winnipeg couldn't fit Stone in long-term. Not with Laine, Connor, Trouba and Brossoit as RFA's this summer. So I guess he was just a pure rental for them. They probably preferred him over Hayes, but what can you do?

You can just as easily argue that losing in the first round is evidence that a conservative approach was justified.

Reactions: derriko and DrEasy

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Winnipeg couldn't fit Stone in long-term. Not with Laine, Connor, Trouba and Brossoit as RFA's this summer. So I guess he was just a pure rental for them. They probably preferred him over Hayes, but what can you do?

You can just as easily argue that losing in the first round is evidence that a conservative approach was justified.

Winnipeg has / had some really tough contract decisions to deal with.

I really don't like that deal they gave Hellybuck. I guess it's one of those damned if you do damned if you don't situations but I really wouldn't want to be attached to that guy for 6 years at $6mil per.

And next up, they need to decide what to do with Laine. Who you know regardless of his play this year will take a hefty contract to lock up. And he's a guy who's literally useless if he isn't putting the puck in the net.

That team still looks promising but the promise is starting to fade.

Oh and just a brutally disappointing season for them in my opinion. Before the year started I had them as my fave for the cup.

Reactions: derriko

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

They could fit him in long-term by trading one of Laine/Connor/Ehlers in the off-season.

Could get a haul for a young cost-controlled top 6 forward in the summer - more than they would have paid to get an elite winger in Stone.

Would have been incredible asset management, just had to get a little creative.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
They could fit him in long-term by trading one of Laine/Connor/Ehlers in the off-season.

Could get a haul for a young cost-controlled top 6 forward in the summer - more than they would have paid to get an elite winger in Stone.

If the Jets traded for Stone with an extension in place, then everybody would know that they have to move one of Connor/Laine/Ehlers and they've effectively undercut their own leverage. I just don't think you can bring in any player with the expectation that you can make the cap work by making moves in the future. Just too difficult to make trades in the NHL today, even under ideal circumstances.

Reactions: DrEasy

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
5-10 softie Jaden Schwarz (16 PIMs over the entire season) burying big tough Jets in the second straight game and out of the playoffs. Somebody should check on Aragorn and Don Cherry. Are they ok?

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Does anyone understand SToNE!’s quote. Doesn’t make much sense.

Is he saying his signing for Vegas was because he wanted to have fun and if he didn’t want fun he’d have stayed here?

How did he know Vegas would be fun before he played for them?

Yeah the way he worded it was weird but the basic idea is he wasn’t having fun here anymore and left because of it to where he thought he would and now is.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It's funny how we think every team that's out in the first round should have traded for Stone as a solution to their issues.

Like, only one team could get him people.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
It's funny how we think every team that's out in the first round should have traded for Stone as a solution to their issues.

Like, only one team could get him people.

And while it's not looking particularly likely at this juncture, what kind of self-congratulating narrative are we going to have left if VGK gets bounced in the first round?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Why would Winnipeg move any of the 3 you mentioned to fit in Mark Stone?

They weren't prepared to give up a top young prospect and draft picks. Why would they move one of those 3 guys?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why would Winnipeg move any of the 3 you mentioned to fit in Mark Stone?

They weren't prepared to give up a top young prospect and draft picks. Why would they move one of those 3 guys?

If they do it, it's because they want to go all in before Wheeler and Byfuglien are no longer elite players.

Adding Stone this year would have made a significant difference.

Having Stone instead of Ehlers, for example, for the next 5 years wouldn't be a big issue. It's really only the years after that where you start to feel the "pain" and most GMs may not be lasting that long so it's somebody else's problem...

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Alternately, you trade for Stone, and then let someone offer sheet Laine on July 1, recovering the pick and prospect you gave up in the Stone deal. Basically you trade Stone for Laine...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Alternately, you trade for Stone, and then let someone offer sheet Laine on July 1, recovering the pick and prospect you gave up in the Stone deal. Basically you trade Stone for Laine...

If I were them, I'd hold on to Laine, he's the one guy they have with a good chance of becoming a better player than Stone. That said, if they see red flags in his development, now is probably the best time to move on from him.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
And this is why players give robotic answers to everything. Ya'll have to stop with the CSI-teaming every syllable coming out of their mouths.

And really...who cares? So what if a player hates the city, or his teammates, or the organization, or whatever? Personal preference is just that.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
And this is why players give robotic answers to everything. Ya'll have to stop with the CSI-teaming every syllable coming out of their mouths.

And really...who cares? So what if a player hates the city, or his teammates, or the organization, or whatever? Personal preference is just that.
Yup, what player in their right mind would enjoy playing in Ottawa the past 2 years? NHLers are competitive, Ottawa and the organisation is the furthest thing from, hence everyone leaving when they are able.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Right, what if people just post crap on Twitter and other social media regularly to make their own negativity seem like reality.

That would be crazy.

Imagine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad