NHL News/Notes XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Yeah, the knock on Hoffman and Skinner is character. That’s why we didn’t trade for them and instead we got a player who has been convicted of sexual assault and has been photographed being flipped off by his teammates, and we signed him to a 7X7 contract. Skinner provides more impact than Kane and makes less dollars right now.

Admittedly, you hear no argument here. I was pretty surprised to see the commitment to Kane, particularly given the character issues, injury history, and the fact that he failed to hit 45 points for the past 5 season prior to last year, and has never hit 60 in his career. Seems like a huge risk and vast overpay, so I fully understand your point. Obviously, dougie sees something in Kane that I don't fully. I guess the physicality in partnership with Hertl and Meier makes the sharks a punishing team to play against. Still, big risk.

I am not sure is skinner is better than Kane on the ice, but the argument can be made. I wouldn't compare those two as Kane's situation is already done. I would compare Skinner to other options out there and right now, I'd much prefer to chase Seguin, Panarin, or Stone, or maybe even take a chance on a ferland or dzingel for cheap. Obviously patches is still a possibility, but would not be my top target. And, Skinner may hit the market at the deadline again, and then you can get him for cheap, fit him under the cap, and get a tryout before committing. Buffalo still will likely suck, so I dunno if Skinner commits there long term.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yeah, the knock on Hoffman and Skinner is character. That’s why we didn’t trade for them and instead we got a player who has been convicted of sexual assault and has been photographed being flipped off by his teammates, and we signed him to a 7X7 contract. Skinner provides more impact than Kane and makes less dollars right now.

You live in some weird fantasy land where you think whatever you say is reality.

In what real world has kane been convicted of sexual assault? And your biased hatred for kane does not count as real world.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Doug Wilson probably had concerns about Skinner's off season conditioning regiment.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
You live in some weird fantasy land where you think whatever you say is reality.

In what real world has kane been convicted of sexual assault? And your biased hatred for kane does not count as real world.
Can't be convicted if criminal charges weren't filed either. It's a sketchy event but all reporting on it suggests that Kane didn't do anything criminal.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Can't be convicted if criminal charges weren't filed either. It's a sketchy event but all reporting on it suggests that Kane didn't do anything criminal.

From the original police report said that there was video evidence from within the night club. My guess is there was and it showed kane acting normal with her or not even actually dealing with her at all and it basically called her bluff to get rich quick.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
My bad, not convicted but he has been accused, he has been part of an investgation into it, and has been arrested.

Sabres’ Evander Kane arrested in connection with disturbing alleged bar incident

Patrick kane has also been accused and arrested and investigated. His even went farther then evanders.

Being accused when you are a millionaire it 99% of the time means absolutely nothing. It is just someone that see's dollar signs.

Evanders investigation lasted not even a month. Because like i said earlier in this thread or the other one, there was apparently video inside the night club where the event took place. And basically as soon as that was reported the issue with kane just dissapeared. Funny how that works.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Patrick kane has also been accused and arrested and investigated. His even went farther then evanders.

Being accused when you are a millionaire it 99% of the time means absolutely nothing. It is just someone that see's dollar signs.

Evanders investigation lasted not even a month. Because like i said earlier in this thread or the other one, there was apparently video inside the night club where the event took place. And basically as soon as that was reported the issue with kane just dissapeared. Funny how that works.

I don’t care about Kane’s arrest, allegations, or “character issues”. I care about Kane’s injury issues which are very real and a serious concern that Hoffman and Skinner don’t bring. I just think it’s funny that people forgive DW for not acquiring Skinner and Hoffman instead of Kane because of “character issues” when Kane is literally the number one player that comes to mind of most NHL fans when they hear “character issues” and Doug Wilson made him the highest paid forward to never score 60 points in NHL history.

Also, saying anything like 99% of the time is incredibly inaccurate and incredibly disrespectful to the actual victims of cases where a celebrity was the perpetrator. Saying “99% of the time a celebrity is accused, the accuser sees dollar signs” is sexist, and completely discredits the well over 1% of women who accuse celebrities of sexual assault who are not lying when they do so.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
OK, Kane has a sordid past. He has definitely made mistakes that are not acceptable. Its a risk bringing him in, and understandable that some in the fan base will never forgive him and can never like him. That is totally fair.

The question is: Is he a good teammate and community member now, and will he bring it on the ice at a higher level than he ever has. Its possible that both happen, and then the 7x7 deal is good. However, any off-ice incidents, major injuries, or lack of effort on the ice would be disastrous. Risky, and out of character for dougie, but he obviously loves the physicality and thinks that on a good team, with solid leadership, and good linemates, Kane can be a superstar. We'll see....

The good news is that the sharks are very deep up front. They can score on all 4 lines. They have 3 centers (plus suomela to be seen) that can score 20+ goals. They have 3 power forwards in Kane,Meier, and Hertl that can cycle and break down opponents and they have guys like Donkey, Banker, and cooch with nifty hands and good speed.

Unlike in Winnipeg and Buffalo, where kane was a clear top liner and counted on for the team to have half a chance, in SJ, Kane is just another one of the guys. They can win without him, so the pressure is a lot less.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

This is an old post but haven't seen it until now. Others talked about your other points, but you realize that the "flipping off" was extremely light-hearted right?

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Dude we get you f***in hate Kane but now you're just making up shit Trump style. He was not convicted of sexual assault. And it wasn't "Teammates" flipping him him off, it was one... Big Buff. Buff, who through many of his actions towards other teammates has proven to be a complete douche bag. If Kane is mostly healthy this year and scores 30 goals will you give us all a f***in rest for a season with your ridiculous Kane hate? FFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad